1UZFE into Rover P5B

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

redsunbeam

Hi, Am looking to transplant the engine and gearbox out of an ls400 into a 1968 rover p5b. After a good measure up it looks like it will fit. The intention is to buy an ls400 and remove everything i need. The mrs will only let me have a wreck on the drive for a week, so i have to get all i need in one go. I think i need,
engine
gearbox
engine ecu,
gearbox ecu?
engine loom

Can anyone help with listing anything else i need?

Cheers
Neil

The engine and gearbox ECU are both in the same unit.

I'd also get the complete loom from the front of the car both inside the engine bay and inside the car and dashboard,the complete fuel system including the fuel pump, fuel tank( useful for bulkhead fittings for fuel return lines) the fuel pump relay and ECU, the interior gearbox switchgear, the complete gearchange mechanism including rod, the ignitors, the radiator, the AC cooling fan ( makes a highly useful electric fan), the Mass Airflow sensor, Throttle cable, kickdown switch from beneath the throttle pedal, transmission oil cooler piping, exhaust system including cats ( worth a tenner each for scrap)........

No doubt I've forgotten other stuff but I'd try and strip out and keep as much engine and electrical stuff from the front of the car as possible. Once the cars running you can always throw out the stuff you didn't use.

Cheers,

Tony

If you are going to do NA swap I'd prefer 95-97 engine, for FI go for pre 95 since it has lower CR and thicker rods.
As tony said… get all the possible things then you could throw the things you don’t need.
But the necessary parts are: ECU, ignitrons, MAF with filter and fuel pump and pump ECU if you don’t want aftermarket one.

Hi.
If you are buying a doner car and not just engine and box I think you should keep as much as you can store away, you can ditch it when you have the engine running.I had to go back and forth to get bits I did not know I needed, some of the plugs I had to pay a price for.

When in doubt keep it then when you don't need it sell it on ebay.

Alan

Cheers for the advice, are there many differences in the electronics and ecu between the earlier (90 - 94) and the later(94-98) cars? Any immobiliser issues?

Hi
Better if you have the one that was with the engine, earlier ecu has differant pluge to some other ecu, be sure to get all the plugs for the ecu as you may have to go back for any you dont have.

Alan

Hi
I have a 93 which I think is a better engine, when you get the engine and box make sure you get the ECU with the engine, you should have 4 plugs 3 go to the engine loom and the 4 th plug you will need to wire it up to start it up. The ECU is under the glove box. On the left wing there are the 2 igniters you will also need these.

Alan

There are some great pictures on here of the front sump engine with dimensions, are there any of the rear sump out of the soarer, or can anyone tell me the position of the rear sump.
Cheers

ANYONE? Have searched all over the forum for a side on picture of a 1UZFE out of an SC or soarer with a rear sump with no luck. Has anyone got a picture please?

Try Googling "Soarer rear sump" if you can't locate them here.

The rear sump is really a mid/rear sump.

If you want a genuine rear sump make your own or buy one from CRS in Australia.

Got someone to measure a sump position for me and the engine out of an sc400 is going to fit with less cut n shut than the ls. Next job (apart from finding a donor car) is to sort out wiring. Have read varying reports on what needs connecting to get engine and gearbox running ranging from 7 wires to nightmare! Anyone have a list of connections or a simplified diagram showing whats needed to get it running?
Cheers
Neil

its real easy...if you using lexus auto box then its easier still...

all info is on here somewhere..but if you get stuck will find my paper version of wiring and send it you,(mines in me head,)but its basic, i have changed it since then..

connect a few extra wires up to what you find on here under "seven wire hook up", as thats a real basic not so good way of doing it..ie make sure your fuel pump has an impact cutoff switch and no pump till sparks are sensed setup..(real easy, rover cutoff switch and lpg saftey relay)..connect brake sense wire,elecy load sense wire as well..use a circuit to run dual speed fuel pump as well..ie keep as original as poss..

as to what engine..just buy the lowest millage one you can find..89-95 are 10:1 cr with excellent super strong rods (good for loads of boost) but are real old now so getting hard to find low millage ones..

95-97 are 10.5:1 ,skinny rods but more power torque..all should be obd1,and easy to do electrics.

97> should be vvti, even better but expensive and proberly all obd2 and hense not so easy to diy the electrics ..

i run 95 (soon to be supercharged) in an 72 manual range rover..the wiring is super easy as i said, but do SOLDER it not crimps..the engine comes out with all the loom intact, just unplug from ecu and pull through bulkhead, you will need the plug from ecu connector that goes into car dash loom ( connects to power,oxy sensors etc) and obviously everything connected to engine, (except emmision controls as like me you wont have to pass an emmisions test...great historic vehicles ain't they)

there are no tuning parts really available here..go to aus websites to find them..

you wont neeed anything else from car apart from engine loom etc...junk it all..best make your own sump and headers too,(cos lexus ones are crap)

..good luck..took me a year and just under 1000hrs to build mine but that was from rolling chassis upwards resto jobby..

oh, go manual transmission..

Last edited:
Cheers Zen, I think i know where it all goes now but anything you can send me would be great. Whats the brake sense wire, and lecky load sense wire?
Cheers
Neil

Have got an engine and box out of a 91 sc400 to put in the rover,
rvr%2001.JPG

Most of the pipes have been cut so need a bit of advice on what they are and where they go
1uzfe10.JPG

I think these two go to the cars heater?
1uzfe14.JPG

This one and the banjo bolt above it to oil cooler?
2010-129-6-18-15-2-1uzfe8.JPG

No idea what goes in the hole in the plenum, also the banjo to the right and the small bore rubber one above.
2010-129-6-18-12-1-1uzfe7.JPG

Buggered if i know where this goes.
Have got a few more of these to work out.
Any help will be greatly appreciated
Cheers
Neil

Have got an engine and box out of a 91 sc400 to put in the rover,
rvr%2001.JPG

Most of the pipes have been cut so need a bit of advice on what they are and where they go
1uzfe10.JPG

I think these two go to the cars heater?
1uzfe14.JPG

This one and the banjo bolt above it to oil cooler?
2010-129-6-18-15-2-1uzfe8.JPG

No idea what goes in the hole in the plenum, also the banjo to the right and the small bore rubber one above.
2010-129-6-18-12-1-1uzfe7.JPG

Buggered if i know where this goes.
Have got a few more of these to work out.
Any help will be greatly appreciated
Cheers
Neil

Neil,

Pic 1 Heater hoses.

Pic 2 ? Specific to SC not on an LS400

Pic 3 Missing EGR pipe , can be blocked off both ends.

Pic 4 Idle valve, this inlet allows air into the idle control valve and is fed from the air inlet after the MAF sensor.

Cheers,

Tony

Hi Alan, I have done all the bodywork, thats why its all in different shades of primer, the interior is all done but only partially refitted. Its taken three years to get it to this stage. Its been mot'd and on the road for almost a year now, but thought i'd do the engine swap now before spraying and then final reassembly.