1988 Range Rover vogue 1UZFE conversion

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

KiwiBen

Hi guys,
I've ripped my stock rover 3.5 out and now have a 1uz on the floor of the garage waiting to go in.

So far I have run into loads of trouble getting half way close to bolting it in, modifying the factory engine mounts and getting it bolted to the gearbox. (I'm running the standard ZF auto).

I have a Microtech LT10s to run it, so hopefully when its in place that should run it ok.

Great site people, it's good to be here.

Regards, Ben

I have a 1UZ in my Range Rover.

Not an easy fit.

You need to massage the firewall a little, Relocate the alternator (to clear the steering box), and mod the headers.

One option on the auto is use the Toyota auto and adapt it to the B/W transfer case. A few owners are either doing or have done this.

Please PM me your email address and I'll forward an article on fitting the 1UZ into a Rover.

KiwiBen,

Any luck on getting your new motor stabbed yet? I just purchased an '88 Rangie, and would like to dump the tired old 3.5L in favor of the 1UZ-FE, and couple it with an R-380 5-speed.

Just found this site today, but saw the post about Rod's engine to gearbox adaptor plate that he fabricated. Sent him an e-mail, so hopefully he'll be able to shoot some info back to me.

Cheers,

Fog

Any pics guys please? My dad is well into his Land Rovers, he prefers Discoverys himself (he has one) but he frequents a Land Rover forum they might be interested in this stuff.

Gent's,

You may not be aware but my Rangie doesn't have a standard body. It has a DAKAR (UK kit) body on it so photos don't tell you much.

The 1UZ is very tight. I would suggest using the stock headers and modifying them to fit between the chassis rails. An alternative would be make your own to go over the chassis rails and exit each side of the vehicle.

A rear simp would fit best.

A manual trans adaptor isn't too hard to make and places the engine in a reasonbale place.

My first setup was with the LT77 and it died.

I now have the car running with a full manual Torqueflite auto that will hopefully hold the horsepower. Interestingly it cracked the Toyota bellhosing the other day so I need to sort out what happened.

I'll PM you both a write up I've done on the swap.

Well guys it's been a while sorry.

I've had a lot of other things happening so this project got the back burner sadly.
Anyway, my little Celica is dying a horrible slow death so I am blowing the dust off the Rover again and am hoping to be driving it soon. I hate the price of fuel right now but I miss the comfort of the Rangey too much to be bothered with another car.

I'll do my best to keep you posted on how it all goes together.

Cheers chaps,
Ben

Keep us posted on the conversion. It would be cool to convert my rangie to a lexus motor, especially with the prices of the 1uz's in NZ.

You dont still have the 3.5 and EFI stuff do you?

Well, I had the auto sparky out today. 500 bucks lighter and my engine is all wired up and ready. I have removed the starter motor to be fully serviced as if it is remotely dodgy it will mean pulling the top of again which I haven't the inclination to do.

The Ecu is being mounted up under the middle of the dashboard beneath the little coin tray. I unscrewed it and found there is a ton of space under it. I can't actually get it any higher without bolting it to the roof so I'm pleased with that.

Once I have the whole thing bolted in the car I'll look at the exact mountings for the relays for Fuel and Fans, most likely sealed in a click-clack box in the front with lots of silicone.

Anyway, I'll post some pictures soon with any luck.

Cheers

Just a thought ben but if you're gonna be giving it a thrash 4X4in then might wanna mount ecu higher...water is the obvious killer here..or make sure the door seals are doing there job..

Yeah water is a worry with an ECU, especially in my part of the world (canterbury NZ, lots of rivers). I can't really mount it any higher without having it visable, and if it gets wet where it is I'll be up to my ribs in it!

I'll keep you posted on the adapter plates as I'm having them cut in the next week or so.

Cheers people

Cheer Ben,I'm going to be putting a lex into a old styles Pajero...hehehe..something different but hey..i have the box and wagon so just need the lex and i can do this..body lift and bigger wheels should set me apart from the rest and I'll be SMOKIN...SWB as well so it should Rock...hehe:la: