1UZ-FE Transplant into 91 Hilux Surf

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
nz jailbar said:
nice job .how much aprox to get headers hpc coated?
About $320 (NZ Dollars) So it ain't cheap to do.

I figured they took so long to build, I wanted to make them last as long as possible so I had them HPC coated.

Besides that...
It makes them stand out as well.

Well...
I'm back in business.

I finally got myself a new computer that goes.

I'll post some pics of the radiator installation when I get a chance.

Just need to figure out how this new machine works.

hey matt,

Try using the fuel tank from the V6 toyota surf(KZN130) or the 2.7 petrol efi tank. I had the same issues running my standard tank in my last ute, it got especially noisy when the tank got below 1/4 fill. otherwise you can run a surge tank set up.

Philip

Hi Philip.

The fuel level was getting low but I filled up and it didn't get any quieter.

I currently have the stock diesel tank with an EFI pump mounted on the inner guard.

Will the V6 petrol pump have enough flow rate for the V8?

Cheers

We used the EFI fuel tank in glovermans hiace van and it seems to run the V8 sweet as, thats why i decided to go away from the surge tank and external pump this time on my second hilux...not only that but it should be a straight bolt up.

Philip.

Mattmannz said:
Hi Mudman.

What did you end up running for a fuel pump and where did you mount it?

My current pump is mounted in the engine bay and has started to get really noisy.

Cheers
Matt.
Hi Matt,

I used a fuel tank from a V6 surf which has an internal pump and it seems to be working fine.
I also know of other conversions using the same setup and they haven't had any problems with theirs either.
It's probably the easiest and cheapest option because it bolts straight in without having to fabricate anything.

I'm pretty sure it flows enough juice at enough pressure. It doesn't run out of puff high up in the revs

Does anyone know what their average fuel consumption is???
I,m only getting 250km out of a tank and I recken I should be getting at least 350km or more. It smells like it's running rich so I'm guessing it could be a faulty temperature sender.

I think it's about 65 litres.

It looks identicle to the diesel fuel tank apart from the removable panel on the top which is there to get access to the internal fuel pump.

Mudman said:
Does anyone know what their average fuel consumption is???
I,m only getting 250km out of a tank and I recken I should be getting at least 350km or more. It smells like it's running rich so I'm guessing it could be a faulty temperature sender.
Around town I get about 350km out of the 60l tank in my 4Runner (used to have the V6 in it) get about 450km out of it on the highway but.

The V6 tanks are 65L but the light generally comes on and the gauge is on E in mine when i've used 50L. Good to know though that I can push on need be.....
I get around the same figures as Twisty, we're both running 35" tyres though.

Im my old hilux i was running the 2L standard deisel tank and was getting about 400km open road driving or 350 around town, which i thought wasnt too bad considering i was still running a low (4:1) ration diff. Im planning on going to a 3:72 ratio to improve economy in my new hilux.

Attachments

• IMGP0697s.jpg
    IMGP0697s.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMGP0698s.jpg
    IMGP0698s.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 5
You rock Mudman

I have been reading up on Twisty Toy and Nemesis swaps but they started with 4Runners.

I have a 92 model Surf so will be identical (I hope) to yours.

So I am happy I now know how to do the engine mounts.

Was hoping to see how you did the radiator - I am intending on keeping my current one (with some mods) with a couple of fans.

Love your exhaust system. I have been told the original Crown headers will fit in my bay so am going to go standard and have a local exhaust place run 2 2.5" into a 3" to the back.

Does anyone know if the V6 tank is larger than the diesel or if it has a pump in it?

I'm going from a 2.4TD to 1UZ and was wondering if a V6 tank was a good swap. That's assuming I could get hold of one, they're not too common in the UK.

jmcreely said:
Does anyone know if the V6 tank is larger than the diesel or if it has a pump in it?

I'm going from a 2.4TD to 1UZ and was wondering if a V6 tank was a good swap. That's assuming I could get hold of one, they're not too common in the UK.
The v6 tank is the same size.

It has an internal pump so you can swap to that or flush your existing and install an external pump.

The standard radiator seems pretty small.
I know a few people have used them and they seem to work ok...
But what if you're doing a lot of towing, or driving on sand on a hot day and running the airconditioning at the same time.
I would imagine it would soon run out of cooling capacity pretty quick.

If I was to use my standard radiator, it would have to be recored anyway because it was in pretty bad shape.

I decided to spend my money on a larger aftermarket aluminium radiator rather than getting the standard one fixed and possibly having ongoing overheating problems. Besides that, it would probably cost about the same amount of money anyway.
I'm also intending to keep the airconditioning in its factory position in front of the radiator.

I ended up with an aftermarket Griffin 26" X 19" aluminium radiator.
It's the biggest one I could find that would fit.

The only problems are that it doesn't fit perfectly central.
I have to fit it slightly to the left to get clearance between the radiator tank and the steering box. I also had to cut the inlet & outlet off and make some changes.
The inlet (Top) was in the right place, but it came straight out from the tank and it needs to have a 90 deg. bend on it to get clearance between the radiator & the front of the engine.
The outlet (Bottom) also came straight out and was directly in the way of the alternator. This needed to be moved to the end of the tank and have the original hole blocked.
I have never tried aluminium welding before and I don't have access to a tig, so I took it up to Jono and got him to weld it up for me.

Now I have to try to figure out a way to mount it into position.

I decided to fabricate some mounts with vertical pins at the top & bottom of the radiator. These would slot into rubber mounts which I would have to find from a wrecked car and modify so I could somehow bolt them to the hilux body.

This should make it really easy to remove the radiator if i ever need to because it will only involve removing the hoses & a couple of bolts supporting the top mounts then pulling it straight out.

I found some suitable rubber mounts from a late model mitsubishi chariot that should do the trick.

But first, I made the mounts on the radiator using aluminium channel & 10mm rod for the pins. Then I took them up to Jono to weld together.
Once these were finished, I started on the mounts on the body of the Hilux.

P1010001.jpg

Good on ya mudman, that's almost identical to the radiator I put in my hilux.

How's the clearance between the filler cap and the bonnet, or does the body lift give you loads of space?

Muzz