1UZ BMW e30

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

a.Lpha

I know it's been done before, and having owned a 1uz and put almost 200,000KM onto it, i need to come back to the amazing engine. I'm literally starting my research today, as I doubtfully will start on this before next summer. As this is the be all end all know everything forum, i figured i'd be able to find out everything here!

I'm trying to decide what to do for my swap. I know I want an e30 and I know I want a 1uz. I also know i want a standard, but aside from that I'm open to any options. Ideally i'd like a FI setup, but weather it be SC or turbo i'm indifferent. I've got money to put into the swap, and will have a shop when i start. What FI setup would you recommend, pre VVTi engine or post. Should I hunt for a 6speed transmission out of a supra, or has somebody here found a better bet with simple fabrication options.

I'm going to start reading through the forums in the swaps now, but figured i may as well ask a question too.

I would go for a VVTi engine, but change the rods. If it's going to be a street car, and not run insane levels of boost, you're probably OK with one of the aluminum blocks (1 or 3UZ).

If you're building a drag or dyno queen, then a cast iron block 2UZ would be better.

I'd put a good aftermarket standalone EMS on it - Mitch Pederson tells me that he "found" an extra 50-80 ft-lbs of torque in a Nissan VVTI motor by judicious tuning.

Then on the forced induction, it's all in preferences - do you want the low end, tire spinning, neck snapping torque of a supercharger, or do you want that "planted in your seat and can barely hang on" sensation that you get from a turbo coming on boost?

Keep in mind a turbo car won't exactly plant you in the seat at launch, unless you have launch control, anti-lag, and other goodies.

Supercharged (at least PD supercharged) engines feel and behave as though they're a naturally aspirated motor with more displacement.

When a turbo motor comes on boost, it feels like you just hit the afterburner button.

Supras are equipped with grab handles on the passenger side pillars, and we affectionately refer to them as the "Oh S***" handles 'cause when the car (with a big single turbo) comes on boost with an unsuspecting passenger, that's what invariably comes out of their mouths.