The Fish

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Where did you get this gauge holder?

1066337-1-d4f168a1b076ffda593b39e0b11c4b23dd1e3871.jpg

After the car is running pretty good, have it dynoed and see what it pumps out. Take pictures of your complete set up, too. On my turbo SC400, I extended all O2 sensors before and after the cats, I haven't had any Check light on yet. I have 1 addtional O2 bung on the downpipe for the A/F gauge. I have a regular A/F gauge but I'll get the wideband AEM just like you to be sure how the engine is behaving. You're doing a quick job there. :arms:

Just a comment, noticing the thread about Paul's Whipple from OZ...
http://lextreme.com/forums/showpost.php?p=78127&postcount=13

He mentions the stock crank pulley being 145mm. Assuming ours is the same, that is slightly different from the 5.5" measurement that we have been using for impeller rpm calculations. Although the difference is pretty negligible, it is still nice to have accurate numbers.

By the way, I love those gauge positions. The location is nice and subdued, but in clear sight.

Parts updates

Got my pulley in the mail today. Thanks Lex!

Need to pickup my fan clutch, but it should be waiting for me at Advanved Auto.

Should see the fan Lex sent me soon.

Need to source an oil feed line, there's a local speed shop close to my work, I will stop by tommorow.

Have oil drain hose and a couple of fittings waiting for me, need to go pickup.

I took the plunge and purchsed a MAF Translator Pro. Also, bought the speed density conversion harness which includes an IAT sensor and a GM 3bar MAP sensor.

Still need plugs, anyone know the part number for 2 step colder Iridium plugs?!?

I think that's about all for parts, looking pretty good for a weekend install.:lmao:

KC

AEM wideband issues

As mentioned my CEL came on last night when I went to order my fan clutch. On my way to work this morning, it went off.

Anyway, being kind of curious, I decided to hook up the Techstream and I was shocked to discover that the ECM is not getting the proper signal from the aem. My bank one O2 sensor reading (through the scan tool) is pegged at .9volts (rich). This explains why my car was running so lean at idle and cruise, and it explains the CEL. The ECM is getting a rich signal and trying to lean out the bank even though it's not really runnig rich according to the aem gauge.

The rich / lean codes are set when there is a difference of more that 10% AFR between bank1 and bank2. So bank2, getting the proper reading from the OEM sensor is running normally, while bank 1 is running lean because the ECM is trying to compensate since thinks it's running rich.

For now, I disconnected the aem signal wire to the ECM. The AFR readings from the gauge are much steadier and not nearlly as lean while idling and cruising. About the same under acceloration as they were before I unplugged the signal wire.

I don't know what the problem is yet, I am about 100% sure that I am using the correct wire from the aem, and about 90% sure that I am running it to the correct wire for the ECM signal. It is not impossible that the wiring diagram is wrong, wouldn't be the first time I've run into this. Any ideas, please share.

Tommorow, I will test the gauge output wires to make sure that the correct signal is being sent, if so, then it must be something in my wiring.

KC

I think he said its hard to get the header off, but that would be my reccomendation - get the bung welded in right by the stock sensor.

Yes, not an easy task, I can't justify (to myself) removing it to weld a bung in.

RedPhoenix said:
I would definetly just use the stock o2 sensors for the ecu and the wideband for your knowledge.

I agree, I just don't think it's practical to remove the manifold to weld a bung. Plus, I'm not really sure there is room to weld a bung. The stock manifolds are VERY short and they dump directly into the cats.

I think the problem with the signal the AEM sends is that it dosen't ocilate like an O2 should. This won't be a problem when I get me headers, I will then put the wideband in a sub 02 spot, which is furthur downstream.

On a side note, the AFR stays about perfect without the AEM signal wire connected. The CEL being on is the only problem.

Also, when I get the MAF Translator Pro working, the AEM signal will be going to that and the MAFTP has an O2 emmulator built in.

KC

Ok guys, I'm starting on it tonight! The only part I'm waiting on is the fan Lex sent me. Hopefully I'll get it by Saturday otherwise I'll be driving the wife's minivan untill I do get it. LOL.

I'm going to start with the IC and piping so I can hopefully get everything welded tomorrow.

Wish me luck!

KC

Ok, super quick update. I'm exhausted and need to go to bed. It's about 2:30 am here.

In the 5-6 hours I've spent so far, I have removed the bumper, hung the intercooler (and retained the factory air scoop thingy), removed the hydro fan + shroud + lines. I have the motor torn down to the hydro pump with one bolt (the hardest to get to) left holding it.

Priority one tomorrow is to get the bracket on the motor, get the V-9 on the bracket.

Priority two is to figure out the IC piping so I can get it welded.

I will try and post some pics tomorrow.

KC

Fan should arrive by tomorrow... Looks like a one day installation if all the parts are in. Steve and I just talked to ACleanSC (Tony) about doing a ONE supercharger installation.

Update,

Don't feel like I have gotten much accomplished today so far. I'm a bit burnt out and need a break.

I am making progress, it's just slow going. I've spent the better part of today trying to decide exactly how to mount the V-9 to the bracket, without interfering with everything else. A few other issues have arose, nothing that shouldn't be expected I guess. Overall, I think it's going about as well as it can be, considering I'm doing something to an SC400 that very very few people have done and to my knowledge, only one other person has done using the fish bracket.

Couple of notes for anyone that plans on using this bracket on an SC.

The bracket is not a direct fit to the body of the car. Some adjustments (beating with a big hammer) had to be made to the fender well area. Before I took my frustration out on the fender well, it wasn't even close to fitting. Even now, it's very close.

If you plan on using an LS mechanical fan setup, know that the upper radiator hose will not fit, I might be able to make it work but it doesn't seem likely.

The fuse box needs to be squished into a VERY tight area, although there is more hood clearence than you probably think.

With the V-9, the cooling fan is quite close to the supercharger. I had finally decided where to drill holes, had them marked and everything, then the mail came (including the fan Lextreme sent me) and it was hitting the supercharger. Sigh.

That's it for now, I will continue on a bit later. For now, I'm taking a break!

KC