Project Thread Project SC400TT

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Makes sense. I'm deciding whether to bother wiring my innovate into the SM2? My next tune should be the last or a while so it would only be for interest sake really..hmmm

So, the high output alternator that I had bought failed after only a few hours of use...That was disappointing. I did receive a partial refund, and I had Raw Brokerage send it out for repair and install. They did rebuild it with the highest quality parts and I have had no further alternator isssues. Kudos to Raw Brokerage and Dan for taking care of it.

Innovate: I decided to swap out the Innovate LC1 for the new all in one Innovate MTX Gauge. It uses the same Bosch O2 sensor, but it does not require the frequent recalibrations that the LC1 did, and I am happy for that. I also like the digital gauge. Easier to read and to follow.

Kinetik: The first battery I bought was used and from the dealer that built my stereo. it never quite worked well...I noticed a drag on th starter everytime I started the car. Since I installed the new Kinetik, no issues at all. Start up is nearly instantantaneous, and I have not had to put the batteery on a charger at all. Sweet! Great battery, and Innovate took care of me on the second battery. I bought it direct from them under a special warranty price.

DEI: Awesome stuff! I use copious amount of their different types of Wrap and Shielding throughout the car. Expensive and worth the price. It greatly reduced the temps to my Air Temp Sensor bung housing on the charge tube, which is important for accurate readings of the charge air enteering the intake. It also greatly reduced heat from the Stainless Heat Sheilds over the turbos as I have it attached on the underside of them. It also protect the Coil and the AC compressor from excessive radiant heat on the drivers side. I also use it on the transmission feed and return lines and especially on the fuel lines and the alternator harness. I will be adding the corrugated shielding to the underside of the hood too.

Here is a pic of the new alternator harness:

a13f703107123f0a994161ba5e33f537.jpg

A few pics of the ClearCorners tails. Excuse the low quality iphone pics.

38115ac9999c6ff50902b1c0919d9a2c.jpg

e3e38fc51aa3ebc713b1c89be420c002.jpg

Brake lights:

d5eca6bef9d6107189d0474e062a821e.jpg

Ryan

Just read the whole thread ... Now that is a truly awesome build !!
Amazed by the quality parts, and the quality mount !

Sorry guys...Don't get on much! Car is in the shop getting complete repaint. Found some mistakes from the last guys, so the whole car is being repainted. Also, if I did not mention it, I lost traction on wet road and ran it off the road, jumped the ditch going backwards at 70 mph hit the grass hard with a few bushes and stopped. No mechanical damage at all. Damaged the passenger side door so it was replaced. Bent one of the wheels, not enough to see, but enough to warrant a replace of the whole wheel. Traction was not tuned in...I was about to caravan with a bunch of ZX's on the way to the Simply Clean show a year ago in Florida, and an Acura that had been dogging me the whole time I was on the road showed up out of nowhere and tried to cut me off...I was in manual mode and did not check my rpm's at the time and goosed the throttle a little, not a lot, but enough that the damned boost kicked in major and spun out my rear tires...I immediately lost traction and was hydroplaning on damp highway...Car immediately spun three times in the center of the Interstate and missed everything and every car...But ran backwards off the Interstate and that was that. I could not talk about it or write about it until now...Car should be back on the road in early January...With a new tune, new paint and better than ever. Traction control will be tuned in. Will see what kind of power I can make before I have to change the ignition out and how the transmission will hold out.

BTW, car is totally straight...Had the whole chassis and every corner measured by laser. Car is in perfect stock spec. Nothing bent...

Will keep you all posted.

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas to all.

Ryan

Ryan, sorry to hear about your mishap, and very happy neither you nor the beast sustained any serious injuries :)

I know I sound like a broken record, but any cooling issues at all with your setup? As you know, there isn't a huge population of 1UZ TT's around, and most of them have had cooling issues. It would be nice to know someone's finally sorted that gremlin definitively and what the final solution is.

Ryan, sorry to hear about your mishap, and very happy neither you nor the beast sustained any serious injuries :)

I know I sound like a broken record, but any cooling issues at all with your setup? As you know, there isn't a huge population of 1UZ TT's around, and most of them have had cooling issues. It would be nice to know someone's finally sorted that gremlin definitively and what the final solution is.

Cribb, nice to hear from ya. I'm sure you have been on much more than I have lately...I had a lot of close family to work with over the last year and the work has so paid off with them! Family is more important than cars...SOmetimes, though, you gotta wonder, LOL...But, that, along with the wreck, just took me out of the scene for a year. I haven't driven the car much at all since then. My biggest issue was finding a dependable and reliable tuner...The one I hired was good, but he really never wanted to work on the car...So it was such pulling of teeth, I could never get it to where we could work on big power...I had to chase him over months and months and still come up empty handed most of the time...He had his reasons and I will respect that. On November 15th, 2013, it was driving well at about 500 to 550 WHP. Cold start, engine idle, drivability, cooling, all went well (Other than the accident). But driving the car hard over constant run after run, I have not put it through such paces...So I cannot state how efficient my cooling system is working. For daily driving, I had no issues. The occasional hard runs, no issue. John Brady came to visit for a day or too and we rode it around town.

I expect it back out of paint by the end of December, then it goes back to Raw Brokerage as Dan is one of the very best at this and his work really brought it all together and took the car home to where it is now. It will be tweaked by him and then it goes to a new tuner. Who is waiting on me...That is a change...LOL. Gonna program in and tune the traction/launch control as well. Go for some much bigger power, and see where the numbers end up.

In the mean time, I just keep trying to not get into tuning my Mercedes e550 coupe...But a little more than the stock power would be nice...Might have to buy the Twin turbo version of the coupe (In Black on Black), take it to Renntech in West Palm Beach, Florida, and then have a daily driver at 600 WHP or so...:D Mine is a 2010 black on black, normally aspirated. Just under 400 BHP and TQ factory. Still, a true gem to daily drive, and the reliability is excellent! But, I still love my Lexus, and it gets the garage baby!!!

I will update you soon. How's the Ferrari? How is your Lexus project John?

Ryan

we ran a single row Subaru WRX radiator, no cooling issues, would sit on 160-165 all day, we have pushed it hard on street, would go 170 and then go back down

I will update you soon. How's the Ferrari? How is your Lexus project John?

Ryan

The Ferrari's engine is completely torn down now and I'm overhauling it with only 15K on the clock :) It began with a valve job and head freshening, then I discovered the valve guides were shot (Ferrari had QA/QC issues with their guides for nearly all the 90's cars, and they wore prematurely).

Then while the heads were off, I ran leakdowns on the cylinders to check piston/ring leakage, and found I still had high leakdown numbers on 2-3 cylinders, so the block came out and I found several cylinders with the top piston rings microwelded together.

Then, because I'm a glutton for punishment, I decided to pull the liners for an inspection (this is a wet liner engine), and found most of those had cavitation pitting on their backsides.

So since I was in for 12 new liners, pistons & rings, I said screw it, and I'm going for a Darton MID setup, and bumping the displacement up from 5.5 to 6.1 liters. The block will be machined out to accept the Darton liners, which will be ductile iron, and significantly stronger than the OEM liners, and I'll be able to use fairly conventional Wiseco pistons and ring packs, and not have to worry about Nikasil, cavitation, and other issues that are peculiar to the Ferrari setups.

While I'm at it, I'm going to try to put ITB's on it too, setup in a cross ram fashion. That's it for the Ferrari.

The Lexus project is right where it was a year ago, with no progress. The Ferrari is consuming all my time & resources.

How about the cooling fans? Size, Type, CFM, make?

Ryan

I run an eBay China 50mm 2 or 3 row core, x2 Davies Craig 10 inch fans. It's fine 98% of the time.

If I push hard at the track for something like 20 minutes it will heat soak and temps will creep up. If I push hard for that long though I'm totally stuffed myself anyway and need a break ;) solution is a coupla hard laps, dial it back for a lap and then go again. The car is so quick I rarely get a clean lap anyways and invariably catch someone and get held up for a bit.

A combo of cavitation and cooling path design is my guess and you won't fix that without a heap of work. Your car won't be doing that though so cooling should be an easy fix for you?

How about the cooling fans? Size, Type, CFM, make?

Ryan

they don't really come on, set to come on at 175. They are 10" Spal pullers, think 1200-1500cfm. The issue we have was more space related, because it all so cramp and alloy tanks it heats up quick. We get a thinner smaller radiator made it be fine. A mate runs a similar one in his NA 1UZ circuit car has no issues at all as has plenty space

Will do. I saw the car yesterday at the paint shop, not the booth, but the paint shop, and it was practically all blocked and sanded...I hope to see it go to paint within the next few weeks.

Ryan