Wiring thermo`s

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Guts

Is there a controll circuit from the motor/computor for running thermo`s?
Or is there a temp sender somewhere?

Have a crown motor.

We are finally wiring up my motor (should be running by the weekend) and can`t find anything for the thermo`s and would think that with these motors and their electronics that there would be something for temp sending.

Guts,

The thermo sender is in the radiator.

If you go to http://autospeed.com/cms/A_2477/article.html there's an article on a switch you can use. You can get the switch from Autospeed or Jaycar. Jaycar's web address is www.jaycar.com.au and they do mail order.

Pick up the temp sender feed (going to the gauge) and go from there.

The switch is an easy 1 hour build and fully adjustable to suit the on/off temp you want.

Did you get the draft of the write up on wiring the Crown?

Zuffen said:
Guts,

The thermo sender is in the radiator.

Did you get the draft of the write up on wiring the Crown?

Ya thanks I found it, just thought that these motors might have it built in and have something off the computor, but owell its all good and now wired ready for a sender.

What draft, haven`t seen anything, my best mate is an auto elec and wires some of the V8 supercars, he has the motor fully sussed and should have it finished either today or tomorrow.

Guts,
Your a smart fella.
Untill you have said that i didn't even think about it !
There is a controller for the fan ( hydrualic fan ).
I cant remember if the temp sensor switches it or another sensor somewhere else.
The system does have it's own little black box controller that controls the hydraulic fan by controlling a solinoid to restric oil flow.
I dont see why it couldn't be used to switch on thermos.
I didn't even think to use it, i brought a high temp thermometer kit from Jaycar.
The unit has an adjustable trigger up to 1200 deg and an LCD read out of the realtime temp.
Being a kit you have to put it together yourself and a $60 AUD price tag which in my books is great value.

The controller is a must look at to trigger the fans.

Regards

Stephen

Coffee's right.

Anyone looking at an external controller can't go past either of the Jaycar kits. They make one with and one without a readout.

They're easy to build with very good instructions and give excellent control.

Jaycar make lots of good stuff that can be most usefull.

They make mixture meters that go from simple single (colour changing) LED to multi LED to digital readout.

They also make lots of voltage driven switching devices, shift lights etc. All in easy build kit form. And cheap as chips!

Check their Site www.jaycar.com.au

They have US and UK Sites as well.

Hi all,
not to give the team at Jaycar a big head, but I agree totally with what Zuffen and COFFEE have said. I've bought several kits from Jaycar (including the thermoswitch one) and have always found them easy to understand and build.

Also, we're all building mechanical and electrical gizmo's and gadget's for our projects with a fair amount of confidence, so its great to round off the package with some basic electronics knowledge.

break out the soldering iron I say...

Muzz

thermo switching can be very good , consider this - wiring fans in series slows them to 1/2 speed then switching them to parralell gives them full speed. i usually ran the fans at the slower speed with the engine running then use the thermo switch to kick them into full speed if the engine heats up. a trick learned from most japanese manufactures.the fans will last longer they keep engine compartment temps lower, you can use the computer or external thermo switch to do this.

We thoguht about this some more and for my situation an external switch is going to be the best thing, easy to carry a spare for 4x4 comps for starters.

My thermos will be setup with an on/off/on switch on the dash. on all the time/off/ on with the sender. Plus it will have 2 lights on the dash, red when they are off and green when they are running.

Guts,
1 question ?
It is easy enough to rip out the old unit ( hydrualic fan ) and bolt up two thermo switched electric items.
What did you do with the old pump that runs on the drive belt ?

See i pulled the guts out of it, blocked off both ends and packed the unit with high temp grease.
Before not long the unit had chewed out the front bush and leaked grease everywhere.
I got the unit off the other motor i have and pulled the guts out of it but connected both ends of it to the oil reservoir.
No good either same result !

I think becuase the units internals are removed the oil sit and doesn't move getting hotter and hotter causing the front bush to wear.
I thought i would try measuring the belt without the pump ?
Came to 1795mm long with the tensionor fully backed off.
So i rang a mate who partly owns a Pep's Automotive store and gave him the length to try match one off another car ?
He rang me back, i have one at 1790mm or 1820mm ?
Thats as close as i can get to the 1795mm !

Well i thought that was great 1790mm, whats 5mm.
Well 5mm is nothing, it was so tight that i had to use a screwdriver under the belt and leaver it on to the ideler pully.
After about 10 atempts and nearly loosing my finger i got it on.

Removed the pully from the hydraulic pump and all works perfect, not even the slightest slip !

I cant remeber the part number off the top of my head, i think he said it was off a Kia Mentor ?
I can find it out if you require it.

Regards

Stephen

Guts,
Well i tried it myself this weekend and it works perfect.
Not sure if the provison was there in the wiring harness, maybe there is an unused plug sitting there ?
I was told it runs of its own computer but i have a wreck that i have stripped and i didn't see one, i think it's switched by the ECU.

Well maybe this info is good for anyone else that looks to use thermos.

Regards

Stephen

Stephen,

Sorry the hydraulic fan has it's own ECU.

The fan ECU is located beside the engine ECU.

It's a typical black box around 75x50x25mm. I think it says "Fan controller or Fan ECU" on it.

Zuffen,
Which car is this in ?
I pulled out the ECU and other unit beside it 2 weekends ago ?
I didn't see anything else with it but i'm sure the other unit was something to do with the ABS ? ( side by side, under the passanger foot rest ).
I am refering to the Soarer or SC400.

I honestly don't remember seeing anything else there ?

Regards

Stephen

Where abouts in the block is the temp sender.
And can the jaycar kit be wired to the temp sender or do you have to use the thermocouple supplied in the kit to get the temp reading on the digital display, and to activate the fans.
Cheers
Tim

Stephen,

I'm pretty sure I still have the fan ECU from my SC400 I parted out.

I'll try and photograph it and post it up.

It was located closer to the trans tunnel and at the same height as the engine/trans ECU.

Dreamkiller,

The temp sensor is on the (looking at it) left hand side of the front waterbridge. It is under the black plastic cover that runs acreoss the engine.

It has a single wire with a spade terminal

Stephen,

Happy snap of the Fan ECU.

Attachments

• MVC-002F.JPG
    MVC-002F.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 160
  • MVC-003F.JPG
    MVC-003F.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 147
  • MVC-004F.JPG
    MVC-004F.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 145
  • MVC-006F.JPG
    MVC-006F.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 140
  • MVC-010F.JPG
    MVC-010F.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 140
Zuffen said:
Dreamkiller,

The temp sensor is on the (looking at it) left hand side of the front waterbridge. It is under the black plastic cover that runs acreoss the engine.

It has a single wire with a spade terminal
I have the Jaycar kit also, i've built it but am no where near the set up stage though. Reading this, how do you actually utilise the temp sender from the motor with the Jaycar switch?