Window Washer Water Injection

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
I am thinking about re-routing the oem window washer to the intercooler. With pure water injected into the intercooler for cooling purposes. This method is not intended to atomize the water but use the water as a cooling medium. The oem washer pump is low in pressure but provide some water molecules would help cooling at high boost. I know this method is being use widely in the domestics but have anyone use it in a UZFE base turbo or supercharged car/truck?

This method could be the easiest way to get some cooling. This is not as good as the independant water injection system. However, it will provide some cooling with minimum mods and efforts. What do u guys think?

I would not do it, inconsistent, and tuning needed which would be hard due to the inconsistency. Alot of the Evo and Sti guys are using Injection kits from a few companies with great results. Snow, Cooling mist, Aquamist, and SMC. Kits are like 250-500 depending on control modules, safety mgt, etc. With a choice of water, alcohol or meth or a mix of the latter two with water. You definitely need a high flow pump with a matched nozzle/jet. let me know if you need help!

They work, but what you wind up with is little flow going out into the sometimes very high pressure in the manifold. Better in the case of a windshield washer pump is to just put small misting nozzles across the intercooler.
You can do it pre-compressor & fix that, but you wind up with posible distrobution, and atomization problems as it's flung out of the compressor. Along with sometimes water pooling in the intercooler. At such low flows *that* wouldn't really matter... It'd evaporate quickly enough if it did pool LoL!

In the case of a washer pump. I'd shoot it pre-compressor just so you get a descent flow rate out of it. Understand that on a single stage system, you're helping the engine, but you can hurt the powerband itself if you go from too much flow to beign with on up.

I think he's talking about just misting the I/C. I've done it before on my turbo dsm, and felt that a higher pressure pump was needed even for spraying the out side of the I/C. At the very least a good misting nozzel from Aquamist should be used, as all the windsheild washer & drip irrigation nozzels just do not make "mist" they squirt too much water, in a crap pattern.

I think he's talking about just misting the I/C. I've done it before on my turbo dsm, and felt that a higher pressure pump was needed even for spraying the out side of the I/C. At the very least a good misting nozzel from Aquamist should be used, as all the windsheild washer & drip irrigation nozzels just do not make "mist" they squirt too much water, in a crap pattern.

LOL you don;t need all that if your spraying the ic, our stock Sti's have a oem sprayer for the ic. Simple pump and nozzle no fine mist works great. Remember this is on the outside as the water evaps it pulls the heat off the ic.
Dammm my brothers name is showing anyway this is v8killer2pt5

The finer the droplet the greater the cooling effect.

Regardless of internal or external i/c spray you need a very fine mist. Almost a fog.

The finer the droplet the greater the cooling effect.

Regardless of internal or external i/c spray you need a very fine mist. Almost a fog.

This is what I was getting at. The finer mist will cool better, while using less water. When I did an I/c spray in my dsm the crappy nozels I was using just let too much water out in no where near a mist pattern. It would quickly drain the washer fluid resivor with out helping much.

I've seen setups before that actualy measure I/C temp with a thermister & and allow you to control how much the setup comes on. This would help water consumption on a daily driver alot.

I used the windshield washer setup on my DSM. I just used one of the washer nozzles. A mist would've been better, but for the cost (free), the benefit couldn't be beat. It did make a big difference when the IC got heatsoaked.

I would NOT use the system, even with a fine nozzle, spraying into the intake. Either before or after the intercooler, or precompressor. It simply won't be high enough at those extremely low pressures. Nor will it be consistent enough to tune for a power increase. With spraying such a low pressure out, you'll just end up with huge water droplets puddling out.

The best heat transfer will occur with tiny atomized droplets. You want to maximize the surface area of the water while minimizing the volume input. It's not beneficial to dabble in WI unless you go for fine misting.

Now what you MAY be able to do is use the washer resevior and pump for the basis of a system, adding another high-pressure pump and nozzles for a high-atomization kit.

Ok here we go again, the STOCK Sti ic has a sprayer for the IC. It's not a fine mist more of a larger nozzle. It wets the ic down effectively and works great for what it is. If your planning on doing any type of internal injection you must use a high pressure pump with the appropriate nozzle to assure repeatable and consistent results anything else will be impossible to tune for. I will be using meth injection and the kits are very technical as far as the hardware. You need a controller whether it's boost dependent or a progressive setup which will yiel even higher results. I could post up a link as to why injection does what it does but it's just boring and extremely technical. If someone really wants to know how it works then say so and I will throw up the info.

Ok here we go again, the STOCK Sti ic has a sprayer for the IC. It's not a fine mist more of a larger nozzle. It wets the ic down effectively and works great for what it is. If your planning on doing any type of internal injection you must use a high pressure pump with the appropriate nozzle to assure repeatable and consistent results anything else will be impossible to tune for. I will be using meth injection and the kits are very technical as far as the hardware. You need a controller whether it's boost dependent or a progressive setup which will yiel even higher results. I could post up a link as to why injection does what it does but it's just boring and extremely technical. If someone really wants to know how it works then say so and I will throw up the info.

Beacuse we all know OEM's do the best job as maximizing performance, so we shoud all just stop modding our cars, beacuse OEM's knew what they were doing, and we're just wasting out time. :saroll:

Beacuse we all know OEM's do the best job as maximizing performance, so we shoud all just stop modding our cars, beacuse OEM's knew what they were doing, and we're just wasting out time. :saroll:

No, my point is you don't need a fine mist for the ic, pick up one of our nozzles "Sti" and adapt that with a pump and reservoir. A fine mist won't cut it, you need enough water so the evaporation pulls the heat away as the oem design promotes. Look I have alot of info on this from 7 of our boards with tests and info to back up this statement. If Lex is planning on injecting water inside the throttle body a simple windshield washer pump / low pressure setup will only get him in trouble. I am not downing anyone's ideas but just throwing some experience out there with some caution. My setup works extremely well and meth injection is going in. Ask my brother "Deathblow" here on the forum about my car's setup, I am not a kid throwing parts on a car to test the outcome. Everthing was done with tested mods and tuned by one of the best guys in the Suby world. Good luck to all, Lextreme let me know if you need any help sourcing parts. Oh if you have a FMIC vs a top your going to need a check valve to stop fluid from leaking at the nozzle.

I'm sorry I just have to bring this up... Who the actively wastes time searching for an STI part when there are a billion other things you can use?

I'm sorry I just have to bring this up... Who the actively wastes time searching for an STI part when there are a billion other things you can use?

OK versus fighting about stupid crap how about everyone help Lex out.....if you did not read in my last few sentences I VOLUNTEERED to help get the parts. How hard is it to source parts go to the dealer and ask for aforementioned part. Or ask some guy who has the car with the part you need. The reason why I mentioned the "Sti" is because we have the part that is made to do what he wants.....can you go to a store and get something to do the job yes but do you really want a nozzle made to spray the veggies in the supermarket with water on your car?

The confusion was because the original post was not clear if the water was to go INSIDE the intercooler or spray the core on the OUTSIDE.

The comments have been right on - don't do it on the inside with a windscreen washer - it is a bad idea period.

Can't hurt anything by doing it on the outside - it will help to have a sprayer along the intercooler but you will lose water fast - so you might keep an eye on that tank!!

I'd like to add - a real injection set up like SNows or Aquamist is a good investment if tuned right. I've run 9:1 at 18psi on pump gas with 24 degrees timing doing that...

warning. if you safe tune on water you will get little results. To really see the big gains the engine will not run on same tune if water runs out... that requires a fail safe system like knock sensors, and water flow warnings, level warnings etc.

Done right there's a lot of power with water

I'd like to add - a real injection set up like SNows or Aquamist is a good investment if tuned right. I've run 9:1 at 18psi on pump gas with 24 degrees timing doing that...

warning. if you safe tune on water you will get little results. To really see the big gains the engine will not run on same tune if water runs out... that requires a fail safe system like knock sensors, and water flow warnings, level warnings etc.

Done right there's a lot of power with water

^^^^^DEAD ON, trust me I was not one of the guys who was confused, water injection as most of us in the Suby community are now using must be a professional kit to run safely. I am now using Snow stg 2 which includes a failsafe controller any loss of pressure or failure car will be limited to wastegate presssure. As for spraying the outside you could use anything but I recommend a nozzle made for this purpose ie; Sti part. Also we have the switch which limits spray time to 2 secs, which I have found to be ample. There is also a JDM switch which once hit will spray until you depress the switch again. Costs are fairly cheap so this kit would probably cost less then 75 dollars if that.