Which gearbox to choose for 500+bhp?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Badger

Hey guys, sorry for my first post to be a question but I kinda need an answer quick and can't find much in the way of answers via search.
Basically on thursday I'm picking up a 1UZ-FE engine for my kit car project and would like to know what gearbox to keep my eyes open for- the complicated bit being that I want a 5/6 speed manual if possible. To make things worse I'd like this gearbox to be able to handle over 500bhp (my target HP is 500 but want the ability to expand on this at a later point). Plus I figure if I build the engine/trans for well over 500bhp then reliability should be better :D
Also I should point out I hail from England, land of rain and front wheel drive cars so choice tends to be limited at best :(
I know the R154 is meant to be the more sturdy gearbox for these conversions, but will they handle that kind of power? If not, what does everyone else use?
Sorry for the noobish questions, normally I'd lurk longer to try to learn more but time has forced my hand. Errrr...
And on that double entendre I'll shut up :D

Badger you didn't say whether you needed a conventional tranny or a transaxle.

If transaxle, go G50 or G50/52 from CMS (California Motor Sports). Bullet proof to over 1000 BHP, and about $10K-$15K USD.

If conventional front engine, RWD, then the Supra Getrag is a good box, else the T600.

Cool, cheers lads! I'll keep me pies open for one of they then.
BTW the project is a Chevrolet Corvette replica (1981 model) so it's front engined, RWD.

BTW the project is a Chevrolet Corvette replica (1981 model) so it's front engined, RWD.

Huh? Why don't you just buy the real thing? You can get them all day long on eBay for $10K or $15K USD. Surely that's a less than you're going to spend building a replica?

Or are you doing full tubeframe, etc. for a racecar?

Well basically I'm not building it as a replica, it's just a nice bodyshell. I'm intending on building a full space frame for the car and entering it into timed events, trackdays etc. Plus living in England corvettes are very rare, so it will be a unique car.
Plus, and this is the major factor, I was looking for a project and I got it for very little money!

Attachments

• Sensors (Medium).jpg
    Sensors (Medium).jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 5