Which 5 speed to use?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

schneidy1

I am new to the forum and i am wondering which 5 speed is best and strongest to use behind a 1uz. The vehicle is an 88 4runner 3vze and it now has a 5 speed but i am wondering if this would hold up. Also do most of you guys run a front sump in a 4runner. keep in mind i am left hand drive if this makes any difference. Thanks in advance for all the advice.

I'm guessing the 1st gen 4Runners with the 3VZE still run the same gearbox as the 2nd gen runners with the V6, which in that case you will have a R150F, which from what I have heard is more then capable of handling the V8.

My R150F gearbox seems to be holding fine so far. Thats with doing some burnouts on 33" rubber too!!!

A front sump is probably the best setup to run on a 4Runner if you have IFS. You will need a minimum 2" bodylift, but it will clear the diff and steering arms easily with no sump modifications needed.

thanks, twisty and hafftrak, Twisty i have to say your conversion is quite nice, i am wondering though do you know if i will run into any different problems with my truck being left hand drive. Another thing is your engine mounts, did you keep your gear box in the stock location and also what are those engine mounts off of.

Thanks....

I can't see the left hand drive being an issue....post a photo of your engine bay so I can compare it with mine.

The gearbox moved back around 40mm....the chassis mounts stayed the same, std. V6 engine mounts are used, new brackets were made to go from the V8 block to the existing mounts.

Twisty, quick question about the R150F.
Does it use a pull type clutch from factory, like the R154?
What type of clutch are you using now, pull or push?
Lastly, are you using a Dellow or CRS bellhousing?

No sure what you mean Peewee with the pull/push clutch??

I'm guessing it's the action of the clutch fork on the clutch?? if thats the case it pushes on the clutch to release it. This is the setup from factory.

I'm am using a modified Daikin Safari Clutch (Direct Clutches increased the clamping pressure) Its has held up great so far and doesn't slip. I'm still getting a wierd rattling noise from inside the bellhousing but.

I'm using a Dellows Bellhousing. CRS said they did not do a bellhousing to suit the R150F, but said they do one for the Supra Box.

Low and behold the bellhousing from Dellows has V8 to Supra written on it. I guess CRS just aren't aware that the Supra Bellhousing fits the 4Runner V6 gearbox.

Attachments

• jag1UZ-FEsm.jpg
    jag1UZ-FEsm.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 668
CRS are aware. The R154 just uses the same bellhousing, but with a 30mm? spacer.

Ok, so the R150F uses push type.
The pull type has the thrust bearing behind the pressure plate. Kind of a backwards action thing.
This shows the two types if you are interested
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/cl/CL_11.gif
Push on top, pull on bottom.

I'm just trying to determine whether I can use my existing clutch if I upgrade to the R154 (I have W57 now)

Cheers anyway.

Whilst talking manual transmissions has anyone looked at the manual V8 Landcruiser 100 bellhousing, clutch flywheel etc.

It may be that some of this stuff is available, affordable and works like Toyota envisaged.

Zuffen do you think that the v8 landcruiser bellhousing would fit the r150 or does any one know where to find a bellhousing adapter in the states

Another question for all of you is how many parts from the ls400 do i need. I know that i need ecu harness and the engine of course but i am wondering what else you have found is needed. The reason i am asking is i have found a 1uz out of a ls400 for $650 usd in my home town. Is this a good deal

You'll need the following:
*Engine complete with Alternator, Air co and Power steering. The starter is a bitch to remove so it will be under the manifold where it belongs.
*Flex plate
*Complete (uncut) loom including tails to transmission
*ECU with all plugs that plug into it
*The cooling fan ECU (not essential but nice).
* Igniters
* Air Flow Meter and associated pipework
* If you plan on using the hydraulic fan unit try to get the radiator, fan, resevoir and cooling pipes
Make sure you identify any hoses/pipes/wires not connected to anything to ensure they should be connected to a part that is now missing. Some parts are quite hard to come by.

The V8 Cruiser was designatd the 100 series.

It was released in 1998 in Australia so I would immagine it was around the same time in the US.

From the 2002 the 5 speed manual was available.

I think the flywheel would probably be a bit heavy for our car applications but it would be worth having a look through the parts manual to see what is worth using.

first things first, i think we should really find out if they 100 series tranny IS the r150 before we start working things out like bellhousings.....

does anyone know for certain what the tranny is in the v8 cruiser?

According to Toyota, the ratios are

- 1st 4.081:1
- 2nd Gear 2.294:1
- 3rd Gear 1.490:1
- 4th Gear 1.000:1
- 5th Gear 0.881:1
- Reverse Gear 4.313:1

Now, according to http://www.birfield.com/modules.php?name=TLCFAQ&p=/~ramullen/FAQ/TEXT/08-01.html
this is the same ratios as the H151F, which was used behind the 3F (4.0L pushrod petrol), 1FZ (4.5L DOHC Petrol), and 1H-DT (4.2L SOHC Turbo Diesel)

Anybody got one of these to compare cases?

i have gotten on car-parts and they do not list a 5 speed option behind any sort of v8 so it must just be a australian or just not us thing. I work at a toyota dealer and i will see if they can get the parts and prices.