When is Enough Enough?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

aussiels400

Hi guys,
Im currently rebuilding a 1uz and was hoping for 400 rwhp. Now Ive just been to the summernats car show in canberra and there are people throwing out huge numbers in their cars, many of which are daily drivers. So Im wondering, bragging rights aside, how much hp is enough for a daily driver?

600whp is always going to be tough to beat on the streets... 400whp is respectable too though but can be touched once in a blue moon.....

What car is your rebuilt 1uz-fe going to be sitting in...I guess I am trying to say how much is your car going to weigh?

I think I would be satisified with 600whp and 600 torque in my car...

Well, with RWD I wouldn't want anymore than 350, unless its a really heavy car, then maybe 400, with torque numbers in the same range as HP. And it must have the brakes and tires to match the power.

With AWD I guess 400, maybe 450. More than that is just useless.

My car has 480 rwkw but most the time its turned down to 380 rwkw..
power is controled by throttle.. You KNOW when its going to start wheel spining.. 1700 Kg car...

With 430rwhp i could run 0-100 in 3.7 secs and 0-200 in around 11 secs on street tyres......clearly more power than you ever need in a street car.

Now i have over 500rwhp i've stopped driving on the street....the ease with which you could lose your licence is ridiculous. Not to mention the supporting gear for 500+rwhp is not designed for daily wear and tear, is expensive and totally wasted by street driving.

Makes for a nice number to throw about during pub talk though :)

Not too interested in pub talk, 500 is just the goal for now. As I said, time will tell. Just like to see if I can do it.

It depends on the weight of your vehicle, traction setup, gearing, etc..

500whp should work for sure though.... I say 600whp just to be on the safe side...:smokin:

Attachments

• HYDROFAN PRESSURE.pdf
    60.9 KB · Views: 7
Justen,
In reading your postings for the past two years I have come to respect your knowledge and accomplishments. I am just trying to do a project that interests me. I may be way off base with what I end up with and driveability but I can (de)tune for that later. It may just be a case of me having more money than good sense.

Hmmm need a sarcasm smilie :)

Easy enough to achieve 500rwhp...i have done it on the stock engine. How long it'll last though is still a big unknown.

Yes I'd say with good rods and lower comp pistons and correct sized turbo [or blower] you should be fine!! 500 h.p is about enough mainly due to costs in maintenance with transmission.. Tune saves engines ....
In my Dart blocked Ford turbo to go from 370 rwkw to 480 rwkw I had to double exhaust size and fuel supply.. Walbro 255 in tank pump with two Bosch 044 pumps feeding off 5 ltr surge tank...
The ignition required some attention.. With such low comp I was having issues with crossfire in dissy .. No matter what we set the phasing in dissy it would crossfire to another cylinder, BAD news on forced induction motor !!.. It would take up to 50* advance at times to keep engine on song..So we fitted crank angle sensor and wasted spark.. Even with this p we have to set plug gap at .020 .. Any bigger gap and it suffered spark blow out... A slightly smaller bore of the 1UZ should help with efficient chambers..
What is not mentioned is engines torque is way increased !!!! So there's no need to rev engine...
Depends what you want car used for??
Besides with turbo's, power is adjustable... You learn real quick that more than half throttle, better hang on and check road surface and conditions....

Justen,
In reading your postings for the past two years I have come to respect your knowledge and accomplishments. I am just trying to do a project that interests me. I may be way off base with what I end up with and driveability but I can (de)tune for that later. It may just be a case of me having more money than good sense.

All good mate....i was just being sarcastic about the pub talk :) i don't much care my hp is bigger than your hp talk either :)

In all seriousness i was well happy with 430rwhp and gave the car heaps at that hp level....it just kept on taking it. This was more than enough for a very quick car.

More than this is a bit pointless unless you are looking at serious trackwork with a serious chassis, support hardware etc. Not to mention the internals become a bit of an unknown.,

In terms of making the hp, as i said 500rwhp is easy. I personally think that a 1000hp would also be easy once you throw in rods/pistons/cams/intake. Block strength has been show to be suspect once you crack 800hp flywheel though.

The thread question is a bit like "how long is a piece of string". Hopefully it's as long as it needs to be and the only person who really knows how long it needs to be is you :)

...currently I drive a 2000 BMW M5 with "only" 335 rwhp (400 cranck), offcourse this is a nice ride but you always want more power :wiggle: ...

So for my '96 LS400 built 1UZ we set the goal for 450-500 rwhp...and for my GS300 with built 3UZ we aim at 800 rwhp...:drive:

LS will be daily drive, GS only for the weekends....

Power is certainly addicting. How much is enough depends on conditions.

We are truly living in the golden age of internal combustion automobiles. How much MORE can we even expect from NEW cars? Consider that a bone stock Z06 Corvette is around 440rwhp and the up and comming ZR1 should be well over 500rwhp. Mercedes offers multiple cars with over 500hp and their twin turbo V12 AMG cars are rated over 600hp STOCK.

In the case of the Mercedes I believe the turbo cars are UNDER rated. One well known and highly respected owner dyno'd his bone stock 2003 NON-AMG S600 (5.5 liter, rated at 493hp) at 481rwhp!!! Using a very conservative 15% drivetrain (probably is really closer to 20%) gives an impressive 580hp. The AMG versions make even MORE as they are 6.0 liter with larger turbos!!! The same owner as above (Ben Treynor) did a tune on his 2005 SL65 AMG and made 581rwhp and 792rwTQ!!!

that torque number is huge.... but then again in a car that heavy you would most likely need it.
the zr1, zo6 and all the big Mercs are more in the range of "super Car" with stock numbers like that, and the price tag makes it worse.
fo me, i want 400+/- enough to shut up some folks, but mostly so when i have a need for it, its there. and reliability is a huge thing, so a stand alone is out for reliability (not doubting anyones tune here, or equip) stand alone ecu require alot of tweaking and time, and money... if you have all those things already then your set... me personally i fight for all three everyday.

Attachments

• IMG_0423 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0423 (Large).jpg
    183 KB · Views: 22
Pres6
When you say stand alone is out. What do you mean ??
They cannot be used ?? Or must be used ??
Some of the modern ECU's can be tuned. But generally they have a turbo engine to start with...Plus the edit module is about the same cost as stand alone. Although there's no fitting or re-wireing....

With the topic being how much is enough, my answer is, for me, 500rwhp. My goal is not just a matter of slapping on whatever it takes to make a brutish amount of power. I set a goal for the power and have spent my time trying to come up with all the changes, modifications and parts to achieve this. Everything going together to make a well engineered, show quality, powerful ride. Most of the improvements wont be seen. Things like oil jets, (thanks Lex) stronger rods, low compression Ross pistons, stainless valves, SM4 ECU, low impedance injectors. Some of the things will be seen. Like an intake manifold with an 83mm front mounted throttle body, Okada COP's, modified valve covers.
My excitement and fun has been (and is) getting to the 500rwhp with this engine, not having the 500 rwhp. My project is currently painfully slow for progress but when the time comes I will be more than happy to share some photos.

JBrady,

I agree with you on the Mercedes front.

My Wifes new SLK55 will light up the tyres before the traction control kicks in.

I'v driven some severly powerful cars before but this thing is wicked.

Sad bit I don't get to drive it as it is her baby!

JBrady,

I agree with you on the Mercedes front.

My Wifes new SLK55 will light up the tyres before the traction control kicks in.

I'v driven some severly powerful cars before but this thing is wicked.

Sad bit I don't get to drive it as it is her baby!
Yea cheap traction control ... Lol...
Those Nankang tyres don't help haha