what did i break?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

birdduck

a little history on the swap:
90 ls400 1uz w/o trac, into a 90 4runner, 5spd and all emision related components are gone, running only primary o2's.
been on the road for close to 10k miles, and is driven every day.

from day one its had a cold idle issue, (i could never get my isc valve to work)
so i have a modified portion on the TB i use to adjust the idle.

recently i had it in work to trouble shoot this issue. this is what i did:
i decided to ohm test my MAF to check for proper readings, well are temp in the shop is around 65 degrees, and i got 2.23ish k ohms.. i couldn't find a way to test the MAF portion of the sensor.

this is were i think i made the mistake. i decided to clean the MAF with carb/choke cleaner and the dried it with shop air. i understand how the MAF works so figured i wouldn't be hurting anything.
well i had the maf unplugged and the engine running and i was checking to make sure i had powers and grounds at my plug, using my DVOM i tested all 5
for voltage first, center 3 had 4.95v and 0 on our 2 grounds, then switched to check my grounds and they tested good but when doing this i touched one of my center 3 wires and it caused the engine to idle down and then back up...

so i reassemble the maf and plug it in. start the engine, runs terrible.. puffing out black smoke like a diesel.. i shut it down and start to ponder WTF did i just do?

if this helps, i can leave everything plugged in, reset ecu ( disconnect battery) and start it and it runs perfect for about 30 seconds and then back to dumping fuel... i don't have any tester parts to swap without paying for them, so i only ant to buy one part.

thanks for your time, and o yeah hey this is my first post! hi everyone :)

this is interesting i just got my self 92 sc4 (first time in Toyotas, was always in Nissans). and it does same thing.

one of the 5v wires is 5v supply for maf and tps

other 5v wire is signal wire for intake air so this goes from 4 or 5v when freezing
down to 1v when warm

other 5v is maf signal this is a frequency so bit difficult to test

remove plug from tps and turn ignition on and test the tps wires

one end which is brown should be 0 v
other end which i think is blue with red stripe should be 5v
if this 5v is not there and your ecu is on then u have stuffed the 5v power supply
for the tps and maf as they use a common wire
so u have probably stuffed the ecu

if u grounded the maf signal or the air temp signal wire i think it should be ok
as they are variable voltage
its the 5v supply that if it got shorted to ground u will stuff the ecu sometimes
put a scanner on it and see if u get correct readigns from these sensors

hey

great stuff being written by you here ,sideshow.. you're like a living automotive dicktionary .. things that you knew keeps on pouring out endlessly..

its because ive had to figure it all out by myself
i was a mechanic for 10 years and learnt auto electrics myself

unfortunately im abit rude on the phone these days
about 1 in 2 or 1 in 3 calls i get on my phone are people asking for help
and also fixing someone elses stuff ups so im basically getting jack of it
im so busy and if someone get s ajob done by someone else who does a crap job
and there are issues i will most likely tel them i do not want to touch the car
especially if im in a bad mood heheheh
if im in a good mood i might say drop car off and its 150 bucks an hour and no written quote and no warranty unles si do complete job

hey there sideshow

your 10 years as a mechanic has equip you with 50 years of experience.. that's what i think.. And i think you're more rude to have charge people 150 AU per/hour hoho...
So slideshow ,Since i don't need an ECU or Ignitor ,i will need to buy your:

1)tachometric relay.
2)instrument panel.
3)missing 26pin plug with it's wires and
4)the relay or the fuse box for the other two grey plugs with the big black starter wire ,NSW and some other Blk/Red wires.

Provided if you are willing to sell....
From the price of your techometric relay,i know you sell things pretty reasonable.. because a normal honda main relay are more expensive in comparison..

Do you except paypal? or i can send money to you and then you can send it?

yes i charge 150 dollars per hour to fix stuff ups from other auto electricians or home mechanics im sick of other auto electricians saying yes i can do the job then
they have issues then they give it back to customer and say sorry im stuck this is best i can do
i get the shits when other shops will not warrant their work
and just tells customer bad luck
which i never do

yes i take paypal

i have tacho relays
and with the missing plug im sure i dont have the plug with correct colour wires
but i do have a plug that will fit in there the correct plug i have is in my spare ls400 ecu
and i wont sell that seperately

instrument panel and fusebox for starter ?????????
do u need the plugs that go into the other grey plugs
i dont have that sort of thing i stip harness complete and remove all unecessary plugs n wires so they get thrown out anyway

hey sideshow

yes i charge 150 dollars per hour to fix stuff ups from other auto electricians or home mechanics im sick of other auto electricians saying yes i can do the job then
they have issues then they give it back to customer and say sorry im stuck this is best i can do
i get the shits when other shops will not warrant their work
and just tells customer bad luck
which i never do

yes i take paypal

i have tacho relays
and with the missing plug im sure i dont have the plug with correct colour wires
but i do have a plug that will fit in there the correct plug i have is in my spare ls400 ecu
and i wont sell that seperately

instrument panel and fusebox for starter ?????????
do u need the plugs that go into the other grey plugs
i dont have that sort of thing i stip harness complete and remove all unecessary plugs n wires so they get thrown out anyway

Thank you.. Paypal will be great.. Ok ..Sorry to write my order without showing you some pictures .. i will take some pictures of the missing link or stuffs i need and then it should be easier for you to select which you may sell or have in stock .. i'll come back in another day... Thanks...

its because ive had to figure it all out by myself
i was a mechanic for 10 years and learnt auto electrics myself

Sorry Jim but I now need to apologize for anything I've said that may have caused you offence. 20 years before I had to learn leccys coz I couldn't get anyone to wire up a 1U into a Surf.. So I do them my way to try and keep to factory and you do them the way you are comfortable with. Mine works for me and yours works for you and as you know well it isn't hard...

Duck your main O2s are dead

well i wire mine all like factory but without all the necessary crap
i use basic relays which u can buy anywhere but i use good brands
i never hard wire fuel pump its illegal and u can get yr arrrsss sued
and if anything goes wrong u have to be able to diagnose problems over the phone
i used to do conversions from start to finish as a mechanic but just do wiring these days

ive probably done 50 to 80 conversions from start to finish
and ive probably wired up over 600 motors in my time
as i always say getting motor to run is easy 7 wires i hear people say heheheh i wish
getting the rest to work nicely takes longer
just did a job the other day where was an ex drift car
nothing worked in the dash y the fk would u buy or even drive a car with no instruments yet we have cars on our roads like this every day
cost customer a fortune to get it all sorted cause the job was done shit in the first place
and then i get a call from a guy saying he will wire car up himself and if he gets stuck can he cal me maybe give me some money
i said im getting sick of helping over phone if its not one of my jobs
i said nar i dont want to get involved
do not ring me
even if u need parts do not ring me
mind u it was fri arvo and just wanted to go home hehehehe
if i sell a part and make 50 bucks then guy rings me back with problems
well that 50 bucks is all wasted by then so these days i will concentrate on my own jobs
another cal on friday was
1uz into hr get said he got shafted by his auto elect and athere are afew issues
little did he know that by the time he pays his auto elect then me to fix it he would have paid way too much for the job
i said take the car back to him
he should fix it if he agreed to take on the job
sooo many businesses just pass the buck
i recon i waste in total time about 15 or so days per year fixing niggly problems
after i have done the job
i do this because i have to and because i was paid to do the job properly
pity i cant say this for many other businesses

the hardest thing with work is charging the right price
and unfortunetly like i told this hr guy u get what u pay for
the industry is not filled with rich customers
people will go pay 500 to 1500 for a tune and because u make more power u notice the difference so people pay this amount
with wiring u dont see it so people wont pay alot for it heheheheeh

anyway ive got enough work to last me awhile so i dont really worry bout painfull
customers i just say im too busy which i am hehehe

i also bought a 1500 dollar off road remote control buggy last year
so i waste money and time on it than on car forums hehehe

thank you sideshow

Sorry Sideshow.. i got mix up with instrument panel and combination meter,cluster or whatever it's called..

1) Combination meter/cluster /(tachometer,speedometer,fuel,temperature unit) If you don't have original 1uz one's, i except different unit that works.

2) Tachometer relay.(a definitely must buy)

3) 26pin connector for the ECU battery and for the auto.Different wire colors exceptable as long as it can be plugged into..(a definitely must buy)

4) the air filter unit( the pipe connected from the throttle body untill the aluminium unit not including the filter and filter cover.

5) the female connector ,that is needed to fit onto the male connector of the oxygen sensor.

6)the black 3pin round alternator connector.

7) relay or fuse box that fits with the 2 grey connectors with the NSW,IGSW,Starter,B+,+B and a white connector with green wires(Pictures below)

8) the 2pin connector for the sensor at the oil sump.

9) there’s this 4wire connector that shares the same harness insulator with the batt+ terminal.is it an important connection? (Pictures below)

10) there’s this 2 identical connectors.is it important? (pictures below)

11) Any logic probe for checking injector pulse or ECU signals?(optional)

12) any other things that you would recommend to make my engine work better are most welcome.

I do acknowledge that you're busy with your work and i also know you're better off earning 150AU per/hour or 1000 plus AU per wiring than to earn a few penny off people in Lextreme. So, for the sake of not stealing more of your bed time,Just sell off whatever you don't need or characterize by you as junk and easily accessible by you and things that you only have.

Please include the price next to the components that you are willing to sell.
And shipment is definitely on me..
I just wondering, would you also charge the time spent replying, sorting components ,packaging and sending it to your local postal office? *JOCKingly*

starterBsta.jpg

nsw.jpg

whiteconnector.jpg

i dont have many body plugs as i throw them out
all those body plugs on the harnesses are cut out when i do my harnesess
do u need the o2 connectors
or the plugs on the engine harness for the o2s
has your engine harness been chopped up
i do have a dash thats out of a soarer but its no use selling it unless i know it works perfectly its just old stock from a front cut and if i sell it and some of it is stuffed then
its hard to give warranty or refund or replace as im not a wrecker and to make 50 bucks on a part then its not worth taking the risk especially when yr so far away
thats y im abit worried when i sell 2nd hand parts thru the mail

if u goto the wreckers and find a toyota around 1990 to 1996 model look for the half moon diagnostic connector under the dash then wire it up to the ecu and u can plug a scanner into it to get live data
my scanner is worth 7000 bucks if u were to buy it new

the tachometric relay is new and made especially for my applications
and i have afew plugs that will fit into the last plug on the ecu

it will probably cost about 80 aussie dollars all up for relay and plug and freight

i can see at the shop where i rent some space from if they have that intake hose
for the celsior motor u have

I will also except any terms and condition

I do understand that anything that i'm going to buy from you is not refundable and will except any electrical component at my own risk .no question asked after that.. no phone calls or emails concerning the parts that i bought..

that's great sideshow

i do have a dash thats out of a soarer but its no use selling it unless i know it works perfectly its just old stock from a front cut and if i sell it and some of it is stuffed then
its hard to give warranty or refund or replace as im not a wrecker and to make 50 bucks on a part then its not worth taking the risk especially when yr so far away

if u goto the wreckers and find a toyota around 1990 to 1996 model look for the half moon diagnostic connector under the dash then wire it up to the ecu and u can plug a scanner into it to get live data

it will probably cost about 80 aussie dollars all up for relay and plug and freight

i can see at the shop where i rent some space from if they have that intake hose

Too bad that you threw most of it away ..
Well ... yes

1) the plugs on the engine harness for the o2s

Ok 80 AUSSIE for the relay,plug and Freight.do you need the Jewish Handshake to close our deal? *Jokingly*

Do update your newest price as after you found the o2 connector and intake hose,also does it include that aluminum piece ?

For now, i will visit your web page to see how can i pay you without ticking items or adding them to the online shopping basket...

Thank you...

Paypal

No sideshow..,my harness has not been Chop off.

I found the way to send you through paypal.. i just use your email and you'll accept the money through your paypal account..

i already have a 100lt box with plugs in it so i dont need any more junk
if u knew how to wire up yr 1uz u would see u dont need them
once u figure which wires u need then u cut the rest and the plugs out
once those plugs r gone i fit my own plugs
2 plugs with 8 wires each thats all u need

aluminium piece?
do u need connector on the o2 which means u will be using aftermarket o2s
or do u mean the o2 plug that is on engine harness

that's it sideshow

i already have a 100lt box with plugs in it so i dont need any more junk
if u knew how to wire up yr 1uz u would see u dont need them
once u figure which wires u need then u cut the rest and the plugs out
once those plugs r gone i fit my own plugs
2 plugs with 8 wires each thats all u need

aluminium piece?
do u need connector on the o2 which means u will be using aftermarket o2s
or do u mean the o2 plug that is on engine harness

I'm so happy that you've lid up another bulb in my brain. qp

Why didn't i taught of it ... Just get some connectors that you need from the scrap yard and cut your original connectors off and replace them...

okay .,except for the 26p upside down ones from you .., i will sort out the rest from the scrap yards ..

and maybe the aluminum piece is called the mass airflow meter?(pictures below)

so that will be:

1)tachometric relay
2) 26 pin connector
3) mass airflow (if you have)

Thanks...

airfilter.jpg

next door might have an air flow meter but they are 150 or more dollars
and there afew different types

that's okay..

Anyway, i'm still not swapping the engine into my KE 70 corolla.. so i'll buy that mass airflow meter nextime as after i'm good at using that tacho relay of yours,i might buy more from you to wire it up for friends car.

So in the mean time, i will just take your:

1)tacho relay.

2) 26pin connector.

So the total will be 80AU ..

I'll get your email from your web page tonight and send you the money..

Thanks and sorry for the trouble...