What brand Mig welding wire to buy in all 3 metals

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

sniper

Super Moderator
I just got my self Mig welder that can do gas and no gas. Now i assume the quality of the weld not only depends on the setting and what not of the welder but also the type of wire you use. This wire that came with the welder seems cheep. What are some good brands of wire to use in all 3 metals, aluminum, steel and stainless steel for a mig welder? the welder came tale .030 and .035

Attachments

• HQ3.JPG
    HQ3.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 3
  • HQ1.JPG
    HQ1.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 2
  • HQ5.JPG
    HQ5.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 2
lex for Al you are going to need Al wire, most mig setups i've seen gear more toward steel groups. buy yourself some good Al and steel wire. in my shop we use randor .035 for all our light and medium steel work for anything heavy we use arc, and for all the aluminum and titanium we use tig.

For Alum. Im only going to weld up intake piping and as for steel, im really only going to tack a cage together and weld up exhaust, and as for stainless, im really only going to tak some headers together. I know i need different wires, im just asking, what CO. make quality wire. What about the gas system? Im going to need that when i weld alum. and stainless. What all do i need and where can i get it cheep?

Attachments

• fuellines.JPG
    fuellines.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 29
check with local weld supply shops in your area for their reccomendation on your specific needs. as for gas i would use an argon Co2 mix, if you are going to use mig.

What kind of welder did you get?
I recently purchased one as well, haven't gotten the bottle yet, was told to buy a large bottle, that would save $ on refills.

Hello people,

I have been welding scraps over the summer at my neighors machine/fab shop. I was using a mig and mild steel wire on CO2. He says CO2 is the for mild steel. I say there has got to be a better mix. I was just learning with scraps so it was not that pretty anyway, but the splatter was annoying. The CO2 did not seem to cover it well. But the shop owner says CO2... so I guess it is my skills I must refine.

I would recomend the larger tank just so you do not have to refill as much, which is worth it to me. But that depends how portable you wanna be.

One feature I recomend on a welder is an fully adjustable knob(s) for amps and wire feed settings. The welder I used had only six different settings. I think being able to fine tune your welder to the materials would be best.

Oh yeah... Whaja get, huh, HUH? :)

Jacob

yeah i would say for mild steel a argon Co2 mix is the best thats what we use at work for all our jobs we only do structual steel and some light fabrication in mild steel.
we use .9mm wire for the light stuff and 1.2mm wire for heavy stuff.

an argon/CO2 mix should be fine for mild or stainless work (some people use pure CO2 for mild)...pure argon for aluminium

Not sure about wire brands...most should be perfectly fine to use

Gas mixes containing CO2 should not be used for welding stainless, as it can lead to chromium and nickel carbides forming around the welded area. This reduces the corrosion resistance of the alloy, and alters the mechanical properties.

Argon with a small amount of O2 is the best thing to use for stainless, as the O2 ionises in the arc and helps promotes better transfer and penetration. This is unsuitable for welding aluminium, so alot of people (myself included) just get a bottle of pure argon to weld both stainless and aluminium.