V-8 into super 7 clone

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Kreb

Hi all,

I'm in California and have a seven with a 200 HP Chevy 3.4 pushrod. Thinking of something more up-to-date for my next venture. Can anyone tell me the weight of the toyota/lexus V-8? It's all aluminum, right? Also, are there carb conversion kits for it? Or stand-alone CPUs?

Thanks!

all aluminum V8 with DOHC with 6 bolt main... Not sure the weight.. but its lighter then the Supra TT 2JZGTE motor and much lighter then Chevy 350. Measurements are 72 CM cube..

I believe when I checked it was about 380lbs. I've seen many interesting combos on this forum. Individual runner injection (like a kinsler unit), twin blowers, multiple turbos, and heard of folks down under using carbs for a spec dirt class.
You can get just about any stand alone unit to work with this engine. You just need enough inputs, and have the right output configuration to make it work. You could use the stock distributors, individual coil packs, generic direct fire units, whatever. We live in a good time for hot-rodding.
Good luck! :)

.75 hrs South of Fresno in a city called Visalia. I'm open to visitors. I'm hoping to start on the cage and engine mounts in a week or so. Happen to know of any good deals on sheet metal (more especially chromoly tubing) ;)

The Flea,

I once broke a timing chain in an old Porsche 911 whilst at the General Sherman Tree. Drove it down to Visalia and the local VW man (Ray Dryer, I think) fixed it for me. You wouldn't believe the broken chain wrapped itself around the cam drive and stopped the cam in exactly the right spot to miss the pistons. Total cost of repairs was under US$200.00. This was in 1989 on my honeymoon. Brought the car back to Australia and sold it about 4 years ago. Still got my wife though!

Not many Australians have ventured into Visalia but not a bad little spot.

Flea: send me an e-mail at [email protected]

I happen to run a sheet metal shop, so I have plenty of sheet stock and mild steel tubing around here that I'd supply to you cheap. Not much cromoly though. You'd probably do better locally.

The more I learn about the Toyota/Lexus V-8 the more I like. It may be a while before I build one into a project, but I'd like to start the learning process so I'll be ready when the time comes!

How about a GM 3.4 four cam? Those can really rock in a lightweight car, my old Fiero(2750 lbs)had a swap using that motor, could keep up with SVT Stangs in a straight line with basically a stock ECU.
They came in Monte carlos, LLuminas from '88-'97,have excellent heads/intake, and are reasonable.
This would give around 300 hp (tuned)compared to 350 hp (tuned) for the Lexus motor.
The reason I mentioned this motor is because it uses the same bellhousing , mounts, and flywheel as the 2.8-3.4 pushrod that you now have.

Scv8

I've considered the 4-cam version of the GM 3.4. It may be tougher than it appears on the surface to do the swap. - When it was reingineered it was with FWD in mind. But it does appear easier to get to 300HP than with the pushrod version. I am intrigued by the Lexus becuse it's such a neat piece of engineering, and the high end possibilities go way beyond the 350 HP you mention. On the other hand, much beyond 300 HP will probably overwhelm my current chasis, rear axle, et cetera, so I'd probably want to gradute from the Stalker platform. Lots to consider. I need to keep doing my homework....