UZFE Vs. URFE

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
Looks like our old folks are getting beat by modern techology. The newer engines are larger in cubic, possible stronger parts and timing chain. We are still holding on the the 1980s (late) techology. Can UZFE still compete with URFE engines? I think we definately can! Recently availability of stroker kit and with heads, cams, valves and so on. We actually can compete with the latest and the best Lexus/Toyota has to offer.

I just finished talking to my engine builder about my personal 4.7L motor. With heads ported, oversize valves, and cams. My SC400 (4.0) will see about 50% gain in both torque and hp. More with higher compression. Currently its about 8.7:1. 50% gain is mighty good. Around 350 bhp is pretty fun in N/A and I would assume little higher with 10.4:1 compression. What do u think?

Of course the UZ can't compete on an engine-by-engine basis. Where we have them beat is cost and availability. UZs are plentiful and very cheap. That bodes well for aftermarket support, enthusiast modification and improvement. Since the UZ is a very well engineered motor from the factory, it's a worthwhile platform to upgrade and stick with.

I would like to know if those larger URFE can match the internal strength of the early model 1uz-fe motors...Can a stock URFE motor handle 500whp? How do those rods look, weak or strong?

I know nothing about the URFE motors other then their liter size...

The 3UR-FE rods look good for a low boost application, but personally I wouldn't try to put more that 550 orr 600 HP through them.

Still Head design + displacement advantage = UR series for the win. The main issue is engine management - I don't know of anyone making anything that can control 4 variable timing cams.

Whilst you have 4 cams you only have two inlet and 2 exhaust which from the ECU's point of view is only one of each.

Still does not matter; each cam needs closed loop control to achieve target timing. Yes, you need only two maps (intake & exhaust), but you still need 4 PWM outputs and 4 cam timing inputs, one for each cam.

Yep remember the main reason these ECU's were developed was we import so many Jap engines here in Aussie and N.Z.. Not mainly for road use, but as performance engines.. The Japs have been using this tech for some time..
The twin cam 6 cyl Fords have variable cam timing now..

i want to see the IS-F's new GSE head setup. A lexus V8 with G series heads....now thats tough to beat

lextreme, are the current pistons in the SC400 aftermarket ones cuz 8.7 isnt stock...im a little confused...

Thank you Sir Cribbj..... Good info and link...

So the GE series heads offer a 20% gain in overall engine horsepower over the stock FE heads...However, lowend torque and throttle response is compromised greatly with the GE heads which is to be expected with greatly increased exhaust flow..... Man, these GE heads sound better then an entire stock exhaust system upgrade including headers in overall horsepower gains... I never knew you could get such horsepower gains just from a head upgrade over stock, WOW!!!

Either these GE heads are an engineering master piece or the FE Heads are painfully restrictive and poorly designed for flow......Hmmmmm?

If this is true I wouldn't mind some GE heads for my 1uzfe motor....

I guess it could be a combination of both... 20% increase in total horsepower, WOW that's alot!!!!.. So let's break this down if you have a stock SC400 or LS400 Lexus that sports let's say 250hp and then you upgrade to the GE Heads your power numbers will increase to 300hp or so immediately with just the head upgrade...

I almost find that hard to believe, does that sound right to you guys? Heads???

Seems like some confusion here. GE does not equal GSE. Also, consider the early FE heads are completely different from the later (1998+) FE heads, which flow quite well.

I am actually a little disappointed in the HP of the ISF V8. I was hoping for near 100/liter like the BMW and Audi engines. Perhaps they are saving that for the LF-A