!UZFE to Tremec T56 ( adapterplate )

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

autronic

This is the first prototype for an adapter plate to get a Tremec T56 gearbox to
a 1UZFE auto bellhousing.

The T56 gearbox is from a Ford Mustang, the boltpattern is different on Chevys.
There is still some work to do with the position of some of the bolt holes + the
2 guiding pins on the gearbox.

Sorry for the crappy pictures, santa did NOT bring me a new phone this year,
better pictures will follow.

One thing is certain, the T56 is big. The gearbox in the background is a Getrag
265 from a BMW.

I'm glad to see someone else working on one of these. I'll have to post up some pics of mine.

What are you going to do for a cluch? And have you thought about the input shaft distance to the crank? I found I had to remove quite a bit of the bellhousing to get the input shaft to mate with the crank. But then I'm using a Chevy which may have a shorter input shaft?

Mark

markstoys:

I will be using a custom clutch and flywheel. I don't know about the clutch yet, I need one capable
of taking 800 lb/ft and still behave on the street. The flywheel will be my own.

I think Tilton makes a hydraulic slave cylinder for the Mustang Cobra T56 but I haven't checked
if this is correct yet. That will be the way to go as I don't want to make a hole in the bellhousing,
for a cluch arm, as this will weaken it.

This gearbox uses a Chevy 26 spline input shaft since they will take more power than the Ford
10 spline. As far as I know, there is 2 or 3 different input shaft lengths for the Chevy edition of
the T56, the one in this gearbox is the longest one. The length vs the bellhousing depth
+ a 16 mm adapter plate does not seems to be an issue.

This T56 I bought from RPM transmissions and it is a hybrid, it uses a Mustang Cobra housing
and ratios ( 2.66, 1.78, 1.30, 1.00, 0.80, 0.62 ), a Chevy 26 spline input shaft,
a Aston Matin output shaft and 5th and 6th gears ( they are simmilar in ratio as the Mustang )
and quite a few other modifications and upgrades.

I think the 0.80 ( 5th ) and 0.62 ( 6th ) is tall enought, you can get 0.75 ( 5th ) and 0.50 ( 6th )
but remember the engine is only a 4 liter and it's not that torqy.
Even with the 0.80 ( 5th ) and 0.62 ( 6th ) it will need a 4.1:1 or a 4.3:1 rear diff ratio and still
have the legs to do 200 MPH if you can get the revs in 6th.

91_4x4runner:

I honestly don't know, it will depend of a few things amongst them if there is an interest.

markstoys:

The length vs the bellhousing depth
+ a 16 mm adapter plate does not seems to be an issue.

That's odd, because I had to take like 3 inches off my bellhousing to get the input shaft to reach the crank (but my trans is from an LT-1 Camaro). Then I welded the bellhousing to the adapter plate.

Could you do me a favor and measure how far your input shaft sticks out of your trans? I had heard that the LT-1 input shaft was longer than the later LS-1, but maybe that's not true.

What car is yours going into? Since mine is going into a very light Corolla, and it will me M112 supercharged, and I plan on getting a 4.30 diff from a Supra, I'm pretty sure the 0.75 fifth and 0.50 sixth gears will work for me.

Mark

markstoys:

I will measure the lenght the next time I'm in the workshop, and I'll find out what Chevy the
input shaft is from.

The gearbox will go into a Ford Sierra RWD in the end, at the moment I'm fabricating engine
mounts and gearbox bracket. I haven't quite made up my mind about the sump yet, I'd like
to run a dry sump, we'll see.

Some better pictures too.

markstoys:

The input shaft measures 185 mm from the front flange, where the sleave around the input
shaft begins, to the tip. It protures 3 - 5 mm in front of the flange towards the engine. This
is far enough as the crankshaft comes about 10 mm back from the same flange.
Remember, I use a Mustang front on the gearbox, I can not tell if the depth will be the same
with a Chevy.

I spoke to RPM transmissions and they told me the input shaft is from a Chevrolet F-body,
1993-1994.

markstoys:

I just saw the pictures of your bellhousing, nice ! I think it will be interesting
machining all the holes for the 1UZFE engine and the T56 box.

It's a more elegant solution than the adapterplate, but for me the plate will be the
easiest as I have access to scrap aluminium fram a boat manufacturer and a friend
that works for a fabricator that only do stainless steel and aluminium. They have a
water cutter so it's easy to get the revisions of the adapter plate test cut onto 2
or 3 mm aluminium.
I only need to do a little bit of macining in a lathe when the thick plate has been cut,
it's only the alignment towards the 1UZFE auto bellhousing and the centre hole for
the Chevy input sleave.

At the moment I'm up to version 1.3.2 and I'm getting close to the finished one.
There have been a few extra holes added to the plate, there is 3 that is 120 degrees
apart, they are for the hydraulic slave cylinder, it turns out I can use a slave cylinder
from a european Ford Scorpio 2.0L 1995 model, the Chevy input shaft just clears the
inside sleave on the slave cylinder assy.

The last 4 holes is to mate the T56 gearbox to a Volvo engine ( yes I know I'm sick )....

91_4x4runner:

I'm still working on it, been busy traweling. I have done a complete redesign thou with what I learned
from the 1UZFE to Getrag adapter plate, I have split the T56 adapter into 2 different plates, a "main
plate" that holds the T56 to the 1UZFE bellhousing and one "steering plate" that centers/aligns the
gearbox to the bellhousing,
it's difficult to explain I have to post some pictures.

TRD911:

I already have a flywheel done, a "prototype" if you like. It will be used on the 1UZFE engine going
into a Ford Capri I'm making some parts for ( 1UZFE to Getrag tread ).

Perhaps I should post some pictures of it too.

And here is 3 pictures to show how I will make the T56 adapter.

The first picture shows the main plate, it will bolt the T56 gearbox to the 1UZFE bellhousing.
The second picture shows the steering plate, it will align the input shaft on the T56 gearbox with
the big round hole in the 1UZFE bellhousing. The reason I choose to do it this way is the bearing
on the input shaft on the T56, it is not a ball bearing, it's a tapered roller bearing and they do
not like side loads. If the alignment of the gearbox is not good enough ( personally I aim for as
little as 1/100 mm, max 5/100 mm ), you will end up replacing the input shaft bearing and with
the wight of the T56 I don't find that prospect appealing.

The final edition will have 2 more plates, one small at the back of the main plate and an extra
support to the bellhousing.

Ok, here is a picture of the flywheel and the pressure plate that will be used.

The flywheel weighs in at 8.4 kilo.

Nice flywheel! Did you build that or did South Bend?

Which of their clutches did you go with? From the pics it looks like one of their DxD 6 puck styles?

I have designed the flywheel and It's been machined by a local company. I'm 98 % happy with it,
there is always something that can be better and I have made the changes so I'm ready to make
the 3 I need.

Yes, the clutch is a South Bend DXD, but with full face Feramic on both sides.