Twin M45 charged 1uzfe project taking shape

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
And Sir here it is

Me sitting in Dah Mother of all spaceframes doing the brrrmmm brrroeoemmm noise
a_939.jpg

the frame from behind, there's more triangles in this then there are in Bermuda I think.....
a_942.jpg

first part trial installed to get the mountening blocks in position, everthing will be taken apart again for powdercoating when the engine and transmission are in.
one of the nicest steering racks I've ever seen custom for this car made by Titan.
a_941.jpg

next up the wedding of the 1uz and the G50 by father Superclutch. and the engine mounts being made up.

Grtz Thomas

Very nice, I bet you can't stop walking out to the shed and staring at your new baby. The build seems so much more real when the big chunks arrive.
Thanks for keeping us posted on you build.
Any idea what the finished weight will be?

Hey cobber and Justin,

thanx for the thumbs up, I got a bit scared for a minute going through the cdrom with build pics GD provides, a very large amount of work ahead indeed,

but as you say, it's all of a sudden gotten very serious again! and thats the way I like it.
been so with the striker as well 5 years back, taking it appart was no big deal, then I looked at the bare chassis..... oh SH**!

finnished weight will be in the region of 850kg with half a tank of fuel (30L) so yeah quite a bit heavier than the striker with 498KG and 170hp but the T70 will have quite a bit more of fun of the loud pedal.

have one question which keeps haunting me and which I cannot find the awnser to,

What is the KW rating of the main Lexus Ls400 radiator?

I need to build something at least similar to that for this car, normaly they state the heat capacity of radiators in KiloWatts but I can't find it.

grtz Thomas

I can't help you with figures sorry Thomas but i would say that rad size will be fine in your application maybe a 40 or 50mm core instead of a 30mm one? Also bear in mind that running E85 (which i assume you will do) will run the setup 10-15 deg cooler for coolant temps.

I doubt you will find the spec on the rad but Mr T is almost as bad as the Germans for over engineering.

Fun with thermodynamics. Air speed through core, core efficiency, ambient air temp, etc etc

You could read this.

Or

Rule of thumb about 30% of engine max KW (road car). Pure track car I would say is a bit different.

Too small you will have overheating problems too big the thermostat will take care of the temperature.

My cobra has an alloy radiator designed for a 500hp big block ford lump and it runs very cool at around 80c however hard i drive it.

Guys I'm in deep ****, the engines cylinderheads don't fit the chassis by a mile.

have a 2 options now,
drysump, remodel rear of heads and valve covers, go for a fuel tank of 43liters instead of 50.
or sell the Twin SC 1uz to a GT40 builder and buy a chevy LS?

man I'm fed up now, the main chassis rails on the rear are sticking through the heads by 3cm each side, I opened up the engine but there's no room, the cam is right behind it. maybe if I can mount it really low by going dry-sump I'd manage to squeeze it in, then still the water outlets on the bridge will stick into the rear chassis rail of the driver compartment.
and the G50 bellhousing will stick out of the bottom of the car by 2cm

not all hope is lost yet but things are getting very very scary now. goes to show that itwould be better to have detailed chassis drawings beforehand. which in their onw right GD wouldn't supply offcourse.

Now the better news of today. tommorow is 24H LE-Mans time again, with the striker sold I'm now going as the stuff carrier, the trusty honda accord limo with seat heating and fart disipation unit inbuild in the drivers throne. not a seven or T70 by a light year, but none the les Jon did a good job on the stickers for this year again.

a_944.jpg
a_945.jpg

grtz Thomas

LOL i have no idea how you came up with that sticker but sounds like a top idea :)

Total **** about the engine :( LS1 is a logical choice and what i would use if really pushed for space. So much aftermarket support life is made much easier. An easy (and therefore cheap) single turbo kit on the LS1 will produce more grunt that you can ever use....in fact just a cam and tune can net you 300rwkw if you go LS2.

Still must be a massive let down after all the work you put into the twin SC setup

Really surprised GD couldn't have assisted you more in determining whether the footprint of the UZ would fit before you got to this stage. Surely they have all their chassis drawings on CAD, and I know you took excellent measurements way back on the UZ. What a p*sser......

Even most of the GT40's replicars have problems with DOHC V8's. Only a few have chassis' wide enough for them. Awhile back someone was trying to stuff a 5.4l Ford mod motor into one of Fran Hall's MK I's, and although Fran gave it his best shot, I think he finally had to give up on that one.

As much as chebbies bore me, an LS could be a good solution. Not much panache, but cheap HP and also "politically correct" for a Lola replica.

Or....you could take what you've already done and drop a DOHC 60 degree V12 in there......

ROTFLMAO about those stickers.

Thomas,

I know you won't give up there will be an answer.

24hrs of Eurosprt for me, I'll look out for you.

I'd love a set of those stickers too for the cobra.

Have a good one.

Hey all, thanx for the support.

GD are not to blame in this matter, I always new that this could be a problem,

there's still one way out that is possible after talking to the engineers at speedon-racing. If and just If, we can machine the bellhousing lower end down 3.5cm, modify the front waterbridge (again) and go for a semi dry sump (3 stage scavange + stock for presure) and after the right hand head boss (threaded hole on just below the camcover) is machiened of,
ten we could probably fit the engine itself in the correct position for even the fuel tank to be 50L+.

problem that than arises is that the dry-sump tank and the scavange pump will probably take up the space of the right hand supercharger. but that needs some more detailed measuring, which will be in order after lemans.

if there is a way that I can make it fit, with a price below that of a good LS? I would very much like to have this engine in the car.

as for the stickers, you should have seen the faces of the neighbours over here, stickers $30 looks of them priceless.:lmao:

ps cobber I can probably order a set for you, if you want.

Grtz Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Firstly having a frame delivered in that level of completeness you should having it running by now! :banana:Ha ha just kidding!

Ok so from your description it sounds like the (refer to my crappy edit of your picture) the green tubes are interfering with heads in the area of the red circles?
If you cut the green tubes out and then replaced them with the rear end fish mouthed onto the outside of the rear tube near the green X would that give you enough clearance.
I think the angle of the fish mouth would be very narrow and the tube would still give the same function it does now don't you think?

Of course if you went LS3 you could probably buy an off the shelf adaptor for the transmission.

Personally if I did mine again I would go LS7

Thomas,

I printed the stickers from your photograph..... I'm a bigger tight arse than you.

I agree cut the frame and if need be just put in a gusset to tie back into the rear suspension cradle.

Ha cobber tell that to Erol and Justin they won't belive you!

really guys I am not to fond of cutting up a very well made tig welded chassis, also I thought of this, and spoke to GD / Speedon about it. they where not to negative, but all facts in line, it's just not the right way forward, there's a few problems that ocur with goint this route that you cannot see right now,
also I would not be as safe in a rear end collision, and that for a fact is why I chose this car.
the seven I build before allways kept me ver alert on chassis problems at high speeds (190km+) which ment that I was more dealing with the car that the other road/track users.
the gearing on the T70 is such that with the 18" tyres in the back I'll be pushing the 200mph barier and maybe even cross it, I don't want to be in a chassis that is compromised in any way at that point.

I've measured on and on and on, I could do one thing:
ditch the compressors, and build a dry sump ITB cammed screamer which will end up costing €7000,00 and which puts out 400 to 450hp.
on the other hand, I have my eye on an ex RS GT challange winning LS1 with cnc'd Dart heads and a steep cam, which dynoed 564HP at Omex for half that....... (if the engine turns out to be Ok offcourse)

**** decisions decisions,

one thing btw, the lexus engine will, "if it doesn't end up in the T70" be mounted with compressors and laminova's in a UVA fugative, also a Can-Am car of which only 18 survive today. a member of the club I'm chairman of has one whith a tired old RV8 in it which needs replacement.
as horrid as I feel about not having this engine in the T70, it doesn't seem right to modify a €10.000 rolling chassis for the use of a €450 euro engine.

that's all for now.

I'll keep you updated with the build o matter what offcourse, and when this ones finnished I'd be longing after the screamer 1uzfe in a Spire sportcars LMP.

Grtz Thomas

I think you know what needs to be done Striker? :)....as much as i love the UZ it's not worth potentially stuffing the frame now, plus it would effect panel fitment i suspect?

I can't believe i'm saying this ( i like fat bottomed girls these days too :) ) but the LS options are the go. Having seen a streetable but worked n/a LS7 in action in a big car i was very impressed. Even a pretty stock engine will be insanely quick in that chassis. I'd be happy enough with a cammed LS2 i reckon. I could just be getting old and my standards are dropping but the UZ just sounds too hard.

If you have a buyer for your work then recoup your dollars and put them somewhere more practical...my 2 cents worth.

Easy install
Smaller footprint
Loads of aftermarket bolt on's
Easy registration regarding emissions

When you have registered it them you could put on the ITB's etc

I think you have made your mind up pretty much and an LSx with ITB's and a cam would probably be the easiest and more in keeping with the car and it's ultimate re sale value. People would be more comfortable buying a known engine package.

New 6.2lt LS3's are going for Au $5,500 now. Export would be GST free so you would only pay $5,000 around 2,900 eu. A new cam a few other tweaks will net huge hp far more than you could use.

We will still speak to you as long as you post up the progress pics.

I know what motor I would be using if I were doing my build again.

Attachments

• IMG_3580 (Large).jpg
    IMG_3580 (Large).jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3581 (Large).jpg
    IMG_3581 (Large).jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3582 (Large).jpg
    IMG_3582 (Large).jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3583 (Large).jpg
    IMG_3583 (Large).jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3584 (Large).jpg
    IMG_3584 (Large).jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3585 (Large).jpg
    IMG_3585 (Large).jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3587 (Large).jpg
    IMG_3587 (Large).jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3588 (Large).jpg
    IMG_3588 (Large).jpg
    212 KB · Views: 18
hey all,

If I can get an LS3 for that sort of money, I'm game!

I only need more details about this. can anyone tell me some more?

I can work out the cost of importing such a thing in holland. seems a cheap option.

grtz Thomas

Attachments

• 60-1 Upgrade.JPG
    60-1 Upgrade.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 768
Walkinshaw have them for $6,900 including flywheel and clutch. I have seen them for $5,500 without flywheel and clutch in the local paper. I have a feeling the throttle body and something else is missing as well for that price. These engines have probably driven less than 1 km before they are removed to make way for the LS7.

I think Sideshow might have a contact for these engines as well. There are a few starting to float around now.