Tundra & LandCruiser Owners - It's Midnight, do you know where your ECU is?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

cribbj

"Supra" Moderator
Staff member
J/K about the midnight :) but I am curious to know where your ECU is located if you have a 2UZ in your vehicle.

I'm thinking of starting my Supra swap harness with a 2UZ harness if the ECU is located on the passenger side of the car, under the floorboard, and if the harness goes through the firewall on the passenger side.

The SC400 harness would also work, but I get a better deal on Toyota parts than I do Lexus ;)

Thanks 91_4x4runner, and you're right, apparently the ECU is behind the glovebox. After downloading that Tundra FSM, then doing another search on the Internet, these guys: http://www.unichip.us/system/upload...tions/1020091.0 Installation instructions.pdf have a very nice, illustrated installation procedure for the Unichip, and it shows the ECU right where you thought it was.

Unfortunately, after looking at the pinout of the ECU, it's nothing like the SC400's or the Supra, so I'm back with the SC400 harness.....

The SC400 ECU is located under a panel at the passenger's feet (on the floorboard) and IIRC comes through on the passenger side of the firewall.

How in-depth is your rewiring going to be? What kind of ECU are you going to use to control the engine? I assume you're looking for full integration between the Supra body/interior and the 1UZ... Maybe some of us on here could give some pointers on the best way to attempt it?

Thanks, I'm always open to pointers!

The UZ will have a completely new engine harness, terminated in 2 milspec type connectors, mounted on aluminum rails, attached to each valve cover.

ECU will be the AEM, either the Gen1 for the Supra, which I already own, or the Gen2.

I'm basically at a crossroads now, whether to start with a Supra 2JZ-GTE harness, intended for an inline six, and modify it to connect with my milspec V8 engine harness, or start with the SC400 harness, which is intended for the V8, but not a supercharged V8 with individual COP's, and other changes. My gut feel is to use the SC400 harness, so I'm going to see about acquiring one. Do new ones ever come up for sale on the CL forums, as 2JZ harnesses do on SF?

Or does anyone know the approximate price for a new SC400 engine harness?

Is that the AEM EMS (universal) or one of the plug and play modules? I think a new SC400 harness is going to cost you way more money than its worth in *possible* time saving. I think I remember a new SC400 engine harness being around $400 or so, but I'm just guessing at what I saw once...

With some tape, a sharpie and a 100ft roll of wire you should be able to complete the entire project in a weekend...

Once you have the milspec harness all hooked up and boxed together on the engine (including keeping notes on the pinouts), all you should need to do is get a short pigtail for the ECU (12 inches would easily do, with each wire labeled) and splice the wires to the correct "pin-ins" on the ECU and it'll be good to go, sensor wise. Then you're going to need to set up relays for the associated electronics (ECU, fuel pump, etc).

I'd suggest only minimal "interfacing" between the Supra's already-installed harness and the engine management. You'll need signals for the basic things like the ignition, tachometer, battery voltage, oil pressure and water temperature, but those shouldn't be too difficult to figure out after you have the engine completely hooked up (not sure if your ECU has in/outputs for this).

Since I don't really know where you're at with the project (and my advice could be called sketchy at best) I can't really help but muddy it up. I've been planning how to attack my 1UZ->4Runner harness for a while and I plan on setting up the engine to be 98% standalone from the truck with only the ignition and relays changing slightly. My primary concern is not messing up what I've already got working for me. This means I need/want to set up a relay for the Ignition and have it feed all my supplementary relays (Including the chassis wiring, ignition, computer etc).

Regardless, I'm sure you have it planned out much better than I do (in my head) even at this point. Don't go too hard on me, its been a long day ;)...

Thanks, as I said, I'm open to all pointers and ideas :)

I've been running my Supra standalone with the PnP AEM for the last six years, so the idea of keeping an already installed system intact is pretty much a nonstarter in this case; my system is already pretty nonstock.

So I think perhaps a late model SC400 harness would be the right place to start; one which is already setup for the COP ignition and the sequential EFI. If $400 for a new harness is even close to being correct, it's a better choice, because the equivalent for a 2JZ-GTE Supra is well over $1000 now.