tiggy weldy

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

zen

hi...need to make a manifold for m112 sc for 1uzfe..

2 options open to me..steel or ali...i can weld steel well, its a breeze..never done ali..

if i use steel i will be making manifold to bolt onto lower half of existing 1uz manifold..this i know has down sides, ie cant fit charge cooler into it,sc sticks out of bonnet and uses dodgy lower intake...however its easy to make..

use ali, then make complete manifold just using original faces that bolt to heads (including injector holes..).then sc wont stick out of bonnet and can include charge cooler..but...i cant weld ali (yet)

i can afford to go buy a 150a tig..will that be upto the job of fabing 8mm ali plate..and how tricky is ali tig welding...i know thats how long is a bit of string question..but i am good at welding mig,stick and brazing etc..whats involved??

i would really like to be able to weld ali..but honestly is this a home taught thing or will i need to go school.?.(no hope no time)

thank you for your patience

150 A is not enough for 8mm plate. Mine is 200A and it can barely do 1/4" (8mm). Aluminum really soaks up the heat, so it needs way more amperage than steel.

Also learning TIG can be tricky, unless you are good at gas welding, in which case you should pick it up quickly.

Mark

as said a 150 wont have the guts to weld alloy, a 200A will do it if you heat the aluminium up with a blow torch first.
Tig'ing alloy is quite hard, you need either a pulsed welder, of you need a foot pedal and contsatntly vary the power to stop it melting into one horrible blob.
you can learn yourelf if you can already tig, as you have the fundamentals there, its just takes alot of practice to get those nice little stack of dime welds :)

hmmm..can weld using gas too....still forget tig then...mig??i wonder..got £2k of mig at work...cant see why not...hmmm

then again, can have a steel inlet made by next weekend..

got a 250 amp welder. Welds 1/2" plate pretty good. I set it to asbout 210amp because I don't want to burn down my house by igniting my wiring. At 210, my house wiring gets pretty warm.

i use a blowtorch to heat the ally, i just got my welder yesterday, waiting on the gas and other bits and i can start welding my manifold up :)

well i tried my welder and got my manifold partly welded, even without preheating the alloy i still didnt even have to use full power, very impressed with this little welder :)