The search for the perfect exhaust note.

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Doiff

Hi guys, I've got a 1uz-fe and I'm trying to make the sound as nice as possible. It's currently loud enough, but is very raspy and has a cackle. Anybody got any ideas on what pipe/ muffler layout I could do? Any people with a perfect setup? what did you do?

Youtube "1uz 10,000 rpm" & "ITB 1uz" both sound amazing. Whats done to the engine? What size exhaust & routing scheme?

Generally an I.D. thats too large for the engine output causes the raspiness. You want exhaust pulses to exit with as much velocity as possible but at the same time reduce back pressure. Larger the size, lower the velocity. A well bent 2.25" "X" "Y" or "H" pipe w/ 1 turbo style muffler/side will have a nice "clean" rumble.

Also, a well engineered set of headers really allow the 1uz to sing. (rushimports.com.au) (S&Sheaders.com)

Last edited:
The general rule of thumb is twin exhausts equals raspy and crackle, old school sound. Single (2 into 1) gives a smoother deeper note. I'm a fan of a 3" single with high flow muffler.

Here's mine:

2 into 1 single 3", with one large straight through muffler and one resonator at the back to keep it legal. If I take the resonator off it sounds like a sprint car! But still doesn't get harsh/crackly...

With boost
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpjJI4vieXA

Without blower or extractors, same 3" exhaust (in my old 4Runner), save as this link:

http://www.users.on.net/~bryntrace/1UZFE Project/Sand.MOV

Sounds great Red!

We need more vids of these exhausts under real driving conditions and fly-by's, not just sitting there idling, or revving, or running on dynos.

Youtube "1uz 10,000 rpm" & "ITB 1uz" both sound amazing. Whats done to the engine? What size exhaust & routing scheme?

Generally an I.D. thats too large for the engine output causes the raspiness. You want exhaust pulses to exit with as much velocity as possible but at the same time reduce back pressure. Larger the size, lower the velocity. A well bent 2.25" "X" "Y" or "H" pipe w/ 1 turbo style muffler/side will have a nice "clean" rumble.

Also, a well engineered set of headers really allow the 1uz to sing. (rushimports.com.au) (S&Sheaders.com)

Rush headers sound unbelievable. I got the larger primaries.