TH400 Swap for an SC400?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
good luck man, i just don't see why your so anxious to go with it right off the bat. Make more power, blow your tranny first, then worry about the tranny. I mean lex holds 400rwhp on a stock tranny and has blown a couple, you could make 325rwhp on a stock engine and may be just fine. Either way, good luck.

Lex - Thanks for the input and I carefully considered what you say, and reading up on the Supra forums the Auto TT is not all that and you are right to some degree.....However it is a step up from the SC400 stock tranny...right?

I think the stock SC400 built tranny will still lack the improved shifting and gearing that is in the Supra TT tranny...Again stock those TT supra trannies do mid 4 second range 0-60mph with just under 300whp or so...How bad can that be at stock? With 400whp I think you may achieve the high 3's or low 4's possibly with a good traction setup...Boost logic trannies get good and bad reviews.... HP holding capacity is increased but everthing else remains the same pretty much.....People are dumping those boost logic built tranny's alot. Ryan (sc400tt) says he dumped his and didn't like the feel at all...One other guy said the same...Supra TT auto trannies are smoother and perform pretty well at stock...Not all that but an upgrade for under $1000 hopefully...Got it down to $800 cash now...Trying for $600 cash and making this guy sweat. He has no bits as this tranny has been sitting dry around his yard for over 2 years now..The crashed car has 73,000 miles.........

I just think Toyota made that tranny to support 300whp and not 200whp (like our SC400's) so it has to be better.....I just want to know if it will take well to the Sc400...Not much info to go off of when pertaining to this proposed tranny swap...

WD - Independant transmission codes is what I read...Longer first gear, more clutch plates, swap is doable and easy from what has been said...Hope it is all true as I am about to find out....
The true cost is not $1,000 for the TT swap. Actually the transmission doesn't bolton according to a very reliable source. You might be looking at more money for fab and perhaps driveshaft mods or even torque converter mods. Right now you are not making that much hp and we don't understand you put this as a priority. Make enough hp to break the tranny, then worry about tranny upgrade. Remember, there is no need for a tranny that can handle 1,000 rwhp when your engine only making mid 200s

i think you guys are all right and I am nuts....Just looking for better perfomance out of the automatic transmission... Simply don't like how my stock tranny performs.. I wasn't planning for the swap just for more hp holding capacity...but mainly for better performance...Thought I might be able to pick up better 0-60MPH times and quater times with the Supra TT auto swap....Maybe I was dreaming...

After what just LEX said - " may need a new torque converter, bolt up patterns may not be the same, and this was said by a very reliable source"..I think I am out....Just like that. I figured with Identical subfames the swap has to be doable and easy...I thought wrong....Boost logic it will be or a manual tranny swap when the time is right...

Again fellas, my thinking was for around $1000 I would get a decent tranny upgrade...Oh well, I have been talked out of it...THanks for the input........

no problem man. i definately wasn't trying to disuade innovation, but to avoid you possible heartache and waste of money, you'll definately figure what out the right avenue for this project is. What about KDog's tiptronic controller, did he design that for the lexus tranny, maybe that could help you shift the tranny when you want?

Perhaps changing the rear differential will help your performance of your 0-60. John don't listen to me ask JamesN. He just did a 2JZ swap.... I think he is a VERY reliable source don't u think?

WD, thanks buddy....

Lex, James did the motor swap but kept the stock SC400 tranny, if I am not mistaken...I will talk to James about it thanks again for your input..Much appreciatied....

Yeah John. I did a full swap TT motor and TT tranny. I do not like the stock Sc400 tranny and it have ver 200K miles on it. If you thinking of putting the TT auto tranny into the SC400 V8 motor you might encounter with fitment issue. I know it fit into the sub frame but do check first. The TT auto tranny have a very long first gear. I took it from 0 - 80mph before i notice the gear change. It is a nice tranny but I'm not very impress with it John. It feel sluggish since you ride around town in first gear all the time. Very boring to me. I would go a 6speed getrag anyday. If only I have enough money at the time to put in the 6sp when I do my swap I would have done it. The TT tranny can hold up to 500rwhp but I doubt it. You will probbably blew it in one shot. My mechanic who did my swap said the TT auto probably hold about 450rwhp and will slip from time to time. That is why I also added Lex TC and it probably hold up to 480rwhp max. But I don't intent to push that much hp yet. I would probably boost my car to 400rwhp and leave it there for a while. Until I change it to a 6sp or have boostlogic rebuilt the TT to handle much higher hp.

Sorry for typing so much but John you are my friend. I don't think it is wise for you to spend 1k here and 1K there just to upgrade little thing. It all add up and you will get no where. Because if you upgrade this stuff part you'll break other parts. It happen to me alot and I hate that.You should just save up like 10K to do a complete over haul. Save your money and do your LS1 swap if you like the motor so much. Or Have Lex build you a nice turbo 1uz motor and mate it with a 6sp getrag or the TH400 and you would me set. But that is my opinion. It is all up to you. :biggthumpup:

James, thanks buddy for your input...I did not know you did the tranny and motor swap all together...Sounds expensive.....Wow...Yeah. that is a long first gear you got with that SUPRA tranny and stock SC400 Open end differential..A supra LSD should tighten up things abit for you...The gearing is a bit different......However, I still thought that Sup TT tranny would help you with the 0-70mph speeds...Especially with an upgraded TC installed......I'm suprised you say it is boring...I will take your word for it never the less and seek out another direction...My SC400 Auto tranny is boring too....Was just looking for some better and more efficient tranny performance....Boost logic it will probably be...

I do believe the V160 fior 10k would be the best bet...Too much money for me...Don't even think my SC400 is worth 10k....Anyway, the TH400 is to uncomfortable and impractical for a lexus in my opinion..It's basically crap without the overdrive addition.....

Anyway, Thanks again James for the reply and info....Hope to see you around soon...

No problem John. And you are right I do need TT LSD. I might need your help when I'm ready to look for one. Keep up with the ideas and I hope you will make your SC into a beast to your liking.

No problem James, those TT LSD are not that easy to find...but with enough persistence we could find one...I paid $300 or $500 for mine, I can't remember...It's been great...Two wheel burnout, lower gearing ratio, and drives like a open end differential... Very pleased with it...

Lex - what's wrong with the TC? You guys are probably just joking around....Torque converters don't break...Especially Lextreme torque converters...:tongue1:

actually the tt auto lsd is a 3.76 and your stock is close to a 3.91 so if James did that your 1st gear would be a little higher and longer.

Not true WD...IT's the opposite....As been the case with my SC400 for two years now....

check intellexual.net or supraforums, the orginal sc400 rear ratio is around 3.91 to 3.92 to it is actually lower than the stock supra tt auto rear end which is 3.77.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69341 this thread shows that the auto tt is 3.77.

Early ls400's are 3.62. early sc400 3.92, later sc400 3.26 na auto supra 4.27, na manual supra 4.083, tt auto supra 3.77, 6 speed tt supra 3.13 , just look around this forum and others and you will find these numbers.

WD - That thread is misleading or is flat out wrong, I didn't even bother to finish reading it.....I can tell you from fact and experience that after I installed the 1995 Supra TT Automatic LSD on my 1992 SC400 - what I experienced next was that the takeoffs in my SC4 were a bit faster and when traveling on the freeway my speedo new read was 70 mph when I was actually really doing 60mph or so....The speedo reads faster then I am actually going for what is going on now for two years. Unless I wound up with a special aftermarket gearing changed Supra LSD off that crashed 95 Supra which I seriously dought it, I would venture to say it is definetely a lower gearing change for sure..I also reseached that fact before the change.. That is one of the main reasons I dumped my aggresive Kaaz LSD and went with the Supra LSD and pumpkin complete....The lower gearing change....