Supra vs. Skyline

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Man, I just re-read my last post...Man my grammer sucks, all appologies.... Can Lextreme.com provide a spell check function for me please?

If I am not mistaken there was a Corvair turbo conv. that was some what of a cool ride...However, I remember those cars being a bit of a nightmare in regards to breakdowns...Am I correct with that statement XR8tt?

Just for the record my SS Nova was a hand me down car from my older brother...It was not bought new and I am not that old yet I think... Maybe a little old at 39......

Yes there was a book written up about them.. From memory it was called unsafe at any speed... It was about cars NOT having safety built into them, from brakes to handling.. Early 60's...I think they had a transaxle like the VW Beetle ???

That looks like such a fun car to drive...

That test driver seemed a bit squimish, I am sure that car can pushed to perform much better... He should give up the wheel to some of the guys on this forum or myself...

It's just not fair....

What I am wondering is that with 1000hp in a small light weight car like that, what gear do the wheels actually grip at full throttle...4th or 5th maybe?

Also that car has more gauges then a commercial airliner... One may just a little confused and take their eye of the road and crash...That could be a bit over kill and a distraction... One Temp gauge and the turbo gauges is all you really need...

That's right, John. That car should be driven by us, and it always be the case...LOL. The Skyline is an All-Wheel-Drive (if I'm not mistaken) so I never saw any Skyline that has any traction problem at all. It just grips the road so tight. At 1000 hp, more gauges are neccessary to monitor from each cylinder temp, exhaust temp, oil, boost, voltage, air/fuel...etc. I don't think a driver will have enough time to look at all the gauges at all. Some gauges are only neccessary for tuning purposes.

I had seen a clip that a Skyline smoking the Ferrari Enzo as a piece of cake. I can't seem to find that clip anymore. I used to be very skeptical about the Skyline, but after researching for awhile, I think I start liking it very much. It's just too expensive to import to the U.S. And a well-tuned Skyline costs over $100,000 easily.

Steve, surely there has to be a comparible car made hear in the US that would match A Skyline, no? How about a 1000hp boosted Supra? You may be able to pull that off for around $50,000 or less...

Wouldn't your single turbo'd SC400 give it a run for it's money..He He.....

I am thinking maybe the newest and baddest Corvette LS7 with the 7.4 liter supercharged motor would give the Skyling a run for it's money...The newest Vette is no joke and is valued right around $100,000 also.... It does 0-60 in about 3 seconds too and has that big V8 block with wicked pull and torque to back it....

Any thoughts on comparisons?

I am sure that in the wide open spaces of the US the Corvette or Supra would be as good as the Skyline. They have better aerodynamics and aren't carrying the extra weight or drag of the 4WD system. The Supra is, more often than not, the choice for 200mph+ midnight runs on the freeways in Japan for example.
When it gets to the twisty bits or it starts to rain, it's game over to the Skyline.
In the Aussie Touring Car races, when it started to rain, all the 2WD cars dropped 5 seconds per lap and headed for the pits for wet tyres. The Skyline dropped 1 second per lap and carried on with its slicks, still equalling the lap times of the others. The sun would come out and the 2WD cars went back to the pits to change tyres while the Skyline picked up that 1 second per lap and motored on to yet another win....

I've always said the ultimate street car would be a tarmac spec WRC rally car or a GTR....

The Nissan and Toyota are about the same weight...
AWD in some ways is no heavier than RWD....
FWD is another story and I don't like them.. Thats why the Mrs car is a Subaru... The GTR would have to be one of the worlds best all round cars.. In that its 90% good at every type situations

It sounding to me like the Skyline is the worlds best midsize factory made sportscar for the money? Still think I might choose to cruise a Porsche GT2, or GT4..I am sure they can hang on the track, no?

Anyway the Skyline has it all -

1) Tons of power
2) AWD superior handling in a light weight vehicle in any road condition..
3) Looks sporty on the inside and out...

I'm wondering how the low rpm torque is in the Skylines? I would venture to guess it sucks... I don't have much faith in the straight six banger motors when it comes to off the line torque even if they are boosted...

I know the Supra's suffer from the dreaded lowend or low rpm power output. I am wondering if the Skylines are simular?... In my opinion a car that doesn't have good lowend power is a wash...Like when you have to keep the rpms up to get consistant power and basically fry the clutch...

I hate that in some factory made turbo'd vehicles.....

The Vette is really nice, but it has to be tuned to be matched with a tuned Skyline. However, a factory Vette will beat a factory Skyline most likely, except for the $175,000 Skyline coming into the U.S. in the future. For many Skyline clips that I watched, most Skylines launched pretty quick at the dead stop with no lagging whatsoever. And the Skyline isn't that light either. Its body isn't that narrow neither.

How about 1300 hp (1017 whp) Skyline running at 346 km/h = 216 mph. It drives like a jet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQoQhDXeT_I.

Here's its dyno: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gE2sAoDORI.

And here's the1300 hp Skyline running 7.92 seconds for 1/4 mile with no lag at all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFLjKQ8N_C0&mode=related&search=

Looks like Meremere drag strip...
Only Kiwi's would drive that fast in the rain.....
Hi Octane !!! Top DVD's...
The earlier GTR's are around 15 to $20K...
In Australia, New Zealand..

Just my take on all the vids...

While these Skylines are all impressive to say the least, these are not factory stock Skyline vehicles, they have all been modified over factory, in addition some have been stripped out, missing or swapped in Ricardo driver seat only...So infact they really are no longer skylines but modified street rods in a sense with added and upgraded multiple turbo systems....

Now I've seen my share of extreme modified street rods in my time, from light weight Maxda Rx7's with swapped in turbo'd LS1 engine swaps that absolutely rip the track up, to modified Buick Grand Nationals that spin slicks for almost the full duration of the quarter mile, Twin turbo'd Vettes, Vipers, etc..the just simply hall arse... The bottom line is you can basically modify most cars to run faster then fast.. At what point does a car stop being that factory made car after numerous mods?

So is the factory made skyline worth the money and the hype at stock?...Are they really that fast at stock?... I had to give this thread a little more thought before claiming this to be one of if not the worlds best factory made sportcars in my humble opinion..

The standard GTR's were hamstrung by the unspoken Japanese 206kw power limit, as were all the other manufacturers.

A R32 GTR only needs a decent exhaust, decent intercooler, filter and cold air intake, and turn the boost up on the stock turbo's to produce 400hp. Minimal mods ($2,000??) for a huge return....
At that point the injectors run out of scope. Change them and upgrade the turbo's and 500 - 550hp is easily achieved.
Add a torque split controller for the 4WD system and you have a real missile for less than $5000.

The rest of the car, except maybe the clutch, will handle the increase in power....

Jibbly, have you heard of Nuremberg? The stock R34 GTR has a bit of a reputation there...

e-solver my good lad I must say I have not heard of the R34 GTR's reputation in Nuremberg...Infact I have not heard of the Skyline before this thread.. It must be the fact that I live here in the States and not in the UK or Aussie land... I've heard of a car called the Voxel...That was a little midsize car I rented in the UK a few years ago, and it was gutless..:happysad:

So with $5000 in addition to the $100-$150,000USD spent to purchase the Skyline you can produce 400-500whp in an AWD and fairly heavy mid sized sportscar...Still not that impressed, sorry fellas....

Give me a GT500 Mustang and $5000 and I bet you I can match track times with that 400whp Skyline....

Or Give me a new LS7 Vette for $100,000 plus $5000 for exhaust and intake mods and I bet you I can spank a 500whp Skyline on the track....

Lastly give me my 1992 SC400 with Nitrous and watched me get spanked by all these vehicles:hail: