Supercharger with Clutch

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
Hey Gang,

I went to my friend's performance shop earlier. He was making a custon supercharger system for a MB S430 with a Vortech CW none intercooled. The supercharger pulley is custom with an electronic selnoid to active the clutch like an A/C compressor. This setup will require 4-4.5" of space.

The activation of the clutch can be many accomplish in many ways. Such as rpm, vacuum signal, manual switch and so on. This is great to save the life of the supercharger and gas. Not to mention the noise factor. He is running 6 psi or so therefore, intercooling is not neccessary.

Right now, Procharger and Vortech is trying to buy the right to produce this unit. Very interesting setup and give us some idea for those who have root style. I didnt take any pic because i dont even ask.

ive heard some of the new mercedes are running these types of setups.
AMG's or somthing.

these set-ups has been run long time already on factory supercharged MK1 MR2 w/ 4agze and also the previa w/ 2tzfze engine to name a few...

isn't it there someone here fabricating a twin supercharger using two toyota units w/ this clutch set-up

LEXUSV8NZ said:
That sounds familiar, was it in a boat?

The 4agze's use that set up with an SC12 rootes style supercharger
NAd I think the 1GGZE also uses it with the SC14

Logan

that's correct.

the clutch can only be engaged (by a throttle position switch) just off idle - so forget any MAD MAX style antics here. if you try to engage a magnetic clutch at anything but idle, it will burn out. AC compressors are a good example of this - people who engage them at highway speeds on country runs end up back at the dealer asking why it failed.

it a great fuel economy saver though!

One bad thing about the clutch system is that it would not hold at high rpm and high load. Yes, Toyota had that system years ago, but this is for Vortech and Procharger....

Are the rotors fully sealed on these kinds of blowers?. If so, is there a valve for the air to bypass the blower when it's not being driven.
I like the idea!
What kind of blower do the nitro/alcohol cars run. Are they more efficient that your typical off the shelf displacement supercharger?