Spark only System

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

gloverman

Here's are few photos of a system I have been wiring for a customer. It was a common system on 1uz power stock cars over here in NZ a few years back but many have now moved to full standalone ECU's which give a fully adjustable timing map (like the Link Lightning) .
It was sold by a supplier of Procomp equipment over here to a stock car supplier who added the coil and modified drank trigger wheel. Then sent to Oz to the customer who sent it back to NZ for wiring so it's been well traveled.

As it's a older system I will include some part numbers.

The control box is a Procomp PDH4-M. MSD make a similar product.

The trigger wheel has has a new key slot cut at about 35/36 degrees offset to standard. Stock trigger has around 4 degrees of offset so this new slot is heading towards a timing of around 32 degrees BTDC.

The coil is a Diamond FTM-630A1. This is a double ended coil unit from some mitsubishi vehicles.

With it all wired up and tested it does work quite well. As it's for stock cars it doesn't have any change in advance. One point of interest I have is only one rotor points towards a firing cylinder at anyone time and the other side of the coil goes into a air gap between two coil towers. I think the only reason this works is the unit is a CD ignition unit so the coil is able to fire fine with only one side working. In a normal situation it would require a full circuit of both sides complete.

Now back to Oz it goes.

Attachments

• april 2014 103.jpg
    april 2014 103.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 15
  • april 2014 105.jpg
    april 2014 105.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 14
  • april 2014 094.jpg
    april 2014 094.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 11
  • april 2014 096.jpg
    april 2014 096.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 13
  • april 2014 108.jpg
    april 2014 108.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 14
gloverman , could you explain why there's no need for the advance? Are you saying that the engine you wired the system for always see WOT/ max RPM conditions during the race? And why factory management is replaced?

yes the system is set to see full advance all the time. The procomp unit is designed to work with a distributor which has the advance in it. It was adapted to suit the 1uz by a supplier of stock car parts. In NZ stock cars they are pretty much full noise or on the brakes so it works ok. The rules only allowed carbs in NZ and this was a simple solution for the ignition. There are plenty of guys that made 400-450hp with this kind of system on their race cars. The series in Oz this is going onto the owner wanted something simple so this with a carb copied from NZ racing was chosen. Don't worry too much , he's a kiwi too. He is likely to be the only 1uz at the moment.

Does your customer just want the same 400-450hp out of different engine? Or why has he chosen UZ? What engines are more common in the racing series?

In the NZ series the 1uz is very popular along with 4 litre straight 6 Ford engines. There are CC restrictions so the lexus fits nicely into the class.
This customer wanted simple. Stock cars in Australia are a bit behind NZ cars.

hey kelvin did a guy from my way ring u about this setup
I told him to just wire it up himself as I didn't have time and wasn't really interested anymore hehehe

On Stock ecu where I have monitored the timing at WOT it is normally between 19 and 22 degrees. This one according to the guy that did the trigger wheel is heading towards 32 degrees.