SOARER ENGINE AND BOX WITH CROWN ECU? Will it work?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

dwhe009

Gidday all,

I am looking at putting a 1uzfe and auto box into a 90' to 95' 2wd hilux ute.
I have spent much time searching through this forum ( thanks very much for all the great help you regulars) and it seems the best thing to get is the crown half cut and find a rear sump. However, i'm in Auckland, NZ and its much easier to find soarers than crowns...

I want to run the standard computers and auto, then later on convert the auto to a tiptronic type system.

Can I buy a soarer engine and box, buy a seperate crown ecu and ect and wire them up? Has anyone done this?

Its just so annoying as the imports just try to put stuff together for me, but i want to make sure it will work

Thanks very much for any help.

i cant see y u cant use the soarer ecu and still run tiptronic

i have wired up a soarer with a manual gbox and had no probs

so im guessing if u go tiptronic all the gbox wiring gets disregarded

and the gbox purely runs of the tiptronic wiring

cheers, its just that the wiring diagrams for lexus and soarers have been not working on this site for a while. I only have have crown wiring diagrams and most people have used these for there conversions.

Can people please give me advice/resources for when i go to the wreckers/imports?

They all tell lies, and i would really like ecu/transmission/engine part no.s to check that i get the write gear, first off.

Cheers

Im in the middle of putting a Soarer 1UZ in my 94' SR5 Hilux 2WD. I had a rear sump but it fouled on the cross member between the torsion bars, so i swapped for a front sump. The front sump bowl hits the steering arm but its is relativly easy to get the tin re-shaped and mig welded, or if your a rough bugger you can beat it. Either way try set the motor back as far as possible to allow room for your radiator.

I am just in the middle of perfecting my engine mounts but will post new CAD drawings once finished.

Try auto part distributors in papatoetoe (09) 2776777, they got my 1UZ engine. They sell engines with computers and looms for around $1700NZD but due to demand that price may have increased.

Philip

thats funny, everything i have searched said you need the rear sump???

is this in different models of hilux?
I'm looking to get either a flat deck or normal 2 door ute 89-95.

how does the driveshaft line up?

cheers

I had a mid sump on mine modified a bit but have since swapped it for a front sump which only needs a gentle massage with a hammer and fits sweet, mine is a 98 lux

i have a 92 hilux 2wd u need a rear sump if its not raised

i just bought a crs sump too easy

Attachments

• Picture2 copy.jpg
    Picture2 copy.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Picture1 copy.jpg
    Picture1 copy.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Picture3 copy.jpg
    Picture3 copy.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 7
1UZ into a 89-97' diesle 2WD Hilux

Ok here are some pics showing the 1UZ in my hilux. Its a Front sump motor now but was origionally a rear sump(i have pictures of all the front and rear sumps side by side). I could of used the rear sump but would have had to do a lot more cutting and repositioning of parts to make it fit, so i swapped with gloverman who needed the rear sump for his Hiace. I will still have to press about 5mm into the back of the front sump bowl to retain full steering but this should be easy enough for a good panel beater to do.

I wanted to retain the Soarer headers on the motor so i took this into account when i was making the mounts. Once i got the height right to accomadate the headers i pushed the motor back so there was about 5mm between the handbrake pulley and the cam covers. There is a W55 or 58 gearbox behind the 1UZ and this is about 5mm forward of the standard G55 gearbox mount, this can just be slotted and packed to suit. I will CAD up the engine mounts this week sometime and post them in .PDF format.

The drive shaft is getting lengthened 50mm which should put it roughly back in the place it would of origionally sat on the spline. the drive shaft length and position on the spline will differ depending on ride height so its best to size this for your own project.

Cheers,
Philip

FWIW, here are the pics of the front and rear sumps together, note that they over lap. So if you shove the rear sump motor hard up against the fire wall it still hits the steering by about 15mm. In order for it to fit right you would have to cut the tin as well as the alloy skirt.....which i wasnt keen on doing.

Philip

Jim,

I noticed you have the alternator on the oposite side of the engine.

What was in the way and what did you do with air conditioning. Did you wind down the window?

ah yeah???...the steering box is in the position where the alternator origionally sat, so i mounted it where the air con. compressor sat. I still have a complete air con. unit i could set up but i want to get the ute going before looking into that. Yeah simple sollution is to wind down the window but the origional heater and blower still works as well. As long as it de-mists the windows its all good.