Project Thread Single Turbo 1UZFE VH Commodore

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

OPR072

Single Turbo 1UZFE VH Commodore * with drive vid

Hey all, i have been a bit of a lurker on this forum for awhile, anyway due to a major knock in my daily drivers engine i have been forced to fast track my 1uzfe commodore project, i have been going at it on and off for about a month and last night i gave it a test fire, after sitting around for 4 years it started 1st crank :) please note one of the build goals for this car was that i could only use stuff i had laying around in the shed from previous projects so some of the gear i used is either cheap and nasty or just plain weird.

Specs

- SC400 1UZFE, stock, all idle control gear was missing when i got it so has been plated over aswell as the injector in the bottom of the plenum.
- I am using the stock drivers side header on the drivers side, just cut and reversed to end below the alternator. The passenger side is a modified crown log.
- Turbo is a brand spanker i scored for nothing, from a 9litre diesel i was told, wastegate is an ebay special tial clone :)
- i used small 1.75 inch ID tubing for the merge pipes before the turbo as i could see no need to increase ID on to decrease again at the flange. I have crazy turbo spin speeds at idle so the gas speed must be quite high, i am hoping this wont restrict top end to much.
- I am using the soarer auto with one of Kdogs controllers.
- ECU is EMS QI4 dualsport i had laying around and so far seems to run the engine well.
- I used some M&W dual ignitors i had laying around.
- RB30 TPS as the TB had previously been butchered, so i machined down the shaft to fit.
- 8 series 5 550cc injectors.
- XR6 Turbo intercooler

Here is a vid of the test fire last night, could not run it very long as had no cooling system or intake pipes and it was running out of the dump pipe :)

http://www.oke020.com/jt/store/images/2158.wmv

Pics for sure!!Would like to see how your piping was done.Any holes cut in your gaurds?Ive got a single turbo for mine too and want to see how its mount/fits so i can do it for my vl.

- i used small 1.75 inch ID tubing for the merge pipes before the turbo as i could see no need to increase ID on to decrease again at the flange. I have crazy turbo spin speeds at idle so the gas speed must be quite high, i am hoping this wont restrict top end to much.

With no compressor housing I'm not surprised!

Hey,

Yeah the dump goes through the inner guard behind the passenger strut tower and sneaks under the chassis rail, it is full 3" mandrel, its tight but it fits and i have managed to keep good ground clearance as the car will be low on whitewalls :)

The log and soarer manifolds vent forward with the right hand side ending at a 2 bolt 1.75" ID flange below the alternator and the Left side log is just straight forwar with the same flange, the merge pipe work is just 2 x 1.75 ID pipes flanged and bolted to the headers, crossing to left side of car and up to the turbo flange, the wastegate runs off both pipes and sits in front of the engine.

I know these pipes are very small and look very strange with a big turbo mounted ontop but like i said i cant see the point of increasing pipe size only to decrease back into the turbos split pulse housing.

I will take a good camera home on the weekend, there is a few crappy pics on my website log www.oke020.com but they were taken with my phone

Cheers

Scott

Yep love my rotaries but my wallet doesn't :( i like your signature, i have been refering to this build as the frankenstein build since i started :) i have the car pretty much complete now, had to upgrade to 2 x M&W coils as one of the factory ones decided to die, it idles so smooth now, can balance a bolt on the engine when running haha, i can build boost on a free rev quite easily so i am worried my 38mm gate wont be able to regulate. Ran the car through the gears up on stands with KDogs controller bloody awesome.

Here is a dodgy phone pic of the bay how it sits now
thumb2163.jpg

Ok just took it for a spin....... oh lordy, i think i better upgrade the diff :Eyecrazy: its actually alot more snappy than i imagined and when it starts to build boost it just blazes the tyres and smacks the 6k limiter haha, will be taking out with the wide band on tonight to do some tuning.

I am jealous! I had better get my turbo on...

Which state do you live in?

Edit: Nevermind, I just saw the QLD plates on your website...

Please post some more videos!

Yeah i am in QLD, did a bit of tuning tonight, wastegate seems to be holding boost at about 8 psi constant, i need to get an lsd in it before i can do any more as it just leaves one big mark down the road, i cant hear any detonation running about 22 degrees timing at 8 psi, i still have not got a light on it though so dont know if actual timing is the same.

will try to get some vids on the weekend.

Might sound like a stupid question,is your turbo weight held by the pipe work or do you have it bolted in some way to your engine?My turbo for mine is really heavy and im not sure how it should be mounted.Are you using steam pipe from your maniflods to turbo?

Sorry bout all the questions but i was going to **** can my single turbo idea but your budget job has got it all going again.Love it,more pics!!!

Attachments

• Lexuspressure.JPG
    Lexuspressure.JPG
    185.9 KB · Views: 5
Might sound like a stupid question,is your turbo weight held by the pipe work or do you have it bolted in some way to your engine?My turbo for mine is really heavy and im not sure how it should be mounted.Are you using steam pipe from your maniflods to turbo?

Sorry bout all the questions but i was going to **** can my single turbo idea but your budget job has got it all going again.Love it,more pics!!!
A brace from the engine is a good bet for the turbo. With a brace, no steam pipes are needed. It's better if they're used anyway.