SC400 Wheel/Rim alterations?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jibby

I got a little well actually a big problem, these are my current rims and tires and I like them very much unfortunately they are only 18" and 8.5 deep and I am running the stock sc430 good year tires on them now. Way to skinny in the rear, lose races because of traction problems and I am lowered with an lsd.

Anyway has anyone hear of a company that alters your rims I would love to extend the rear rims to maybe a 2 inches going inward toward the differential. Is anything like that possible with alluminum rims, I would hate to have to buy new rims they don't make these any larger (Alliso rim) Anyone?

Man, I am posting way to much I better chill!:ninja:

I don't know about 45% of the tire? Why is that so? I got the car up to 105mph just the other night, no squirrely action, maybe just a little drift from the eibachs and tokico susp. But yes they are skinney and embarrassing and the rears spin like crazy off the line, you've seen the sc430 tires, skinny, if I didn't have an LSD I would really be screwed.

I tried contacting the MFR of the rims and they don't make them anymore, but I will ask for brackets thanks. If the rims cannot be altered is there a tire I can buy that over extend the rims and are somewhat fat, or should I cut my loss and go rim hunting? These are probably stupid questions, but I am not a tire and rim man. More of an engine and drivetrain man. Thanks for the reply.

YZFR1-

Oh, this looks great but do you think these guys are for real and reputable, where did you find this company if you don't mind me asking?

jibby said:
YZFR1-

Oh, this looks great but do you think these guys are for real and reputable, where did you find this company if you don't mind me asking?

Found them off of one of the forums........ Maybe CL lol........... But it looked really interesting to me and they seemed legit......... try and give them a call after the holidays maybe?

Dan

Ok I got the lowdown and the company is legit and thanks a million for the hook up.

Ok, it costs $175 to alter each rim and they weld the rims to extend inwards and not outwards so rubbing the fender lip or curling the lip will not be an issue. They can weld up to three 3 inches wider per rims. I am considering 10.5 but really want to have no regrets and go for the 11.5 rims. What do you think? Do you think the 11.5 width extended rims inward would fit in the wheel wells of the sc400 and Soarer? I guess this info is on intellexual.net. Anyway, let me know your thoughts please and thanks again, it will be so nice to get some sick fat tires and rims on the back on my sc, for looks and traction, it's been bothering me for months.

I am about to find out if these guys are good, I just sent both my alluminum allisseo rear rims out for a two inch alteration to the width.. Should get them back in two weeks so they say.... Wish me luck......

Wow....... somehow i missed your earlier reply........... I am not sure how far forward they can go....... how do they look on the car now? Do they stick out further than stock SC wheels? (i hope)... That's pretty cheap to widen the wheels..... hmmmmmmmmm............ You have to let me know how it turns out........ this could be very interesting........... Congrats on being the first guinea pig!! hehehehe....

Good luck!

Dan

Thank you for finding these guys for me. I do not have the rims back yet but they have been sent out and are being worked on. What they do is cut the rim down the middle then re-weld 2 to 3 inches on to it which is extending inwards not outwards. They said the rim will be as strong as stock and sealed. It is $175 plus shipping per rim with 7-10 days turnover. Not cheap but should be a nice finished product..

This company looks to me to be very legit. I will respond and show pics to this thread when and if I get back the finished product. Thanks again YZFR1 you da man!!!!

Sounds good man........... hope it works out....... it will definitely open up some options :)

Dan

Great news- This company is legit and fantastic, and it definetely worked out better then I expected. I got the altered and wided rims back today and they look great. I just mounted z-rated 275/zr18/95Y fat tires and they look awesome, hear are the pics....and at $175 a rim plus shipping it was worth it to me. These should look nice on my sc400. Oh last pic shows new lexus center caps.

Balanced perfect, and I will let you know how they ride....Thanks again YZFR1, I could not have done this without your post, huge help, I owe you a drink or something great find..............

jibby said:
Balanced perfect, and I will let you know how they ride....Thanks again YZFR1, I could not have done this without your post, huge help, I owe you a drink or something great find..............
Sounds good :) Definitely want to hear how it rides : D

Dan

Well it appears I widened my rims abit too much, I just found out the absolute widest rim and tire that can fit in a stock sc and that is 275/35/18 which is my new wheel size.. my rim hit the back spring not rub but hit, and if the spring is deleted the tire just misses the back wall or sub frame by about 1/8 of an inch, oh so close... I need to either quickly change over to a coilover system to eliminate my Eibach spring or get a very good 5/8 spacer and curl the outer lip and pray that it doesn't rub... Just another set back. I should have measured but I think I can correct this....see ya

This also has to do with offsets etc........... i hope it all works out....... though i would cringe at the use of spacers....... ugh......... good luck man......

Dan

Oh, it's all going to work out just fine, thanks to the custom made 3/4 inch spacers/adapt.. I had made today... Here are the pic's of my $100 rear set spacers..Notice the lip that is the key for strengh...