RUSH Extractor install on 1992 SC400

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

spf_lexus

After a failed VVT engine swap I decided to keep my 1992 motor and redo the entire exhaust. I already have a pair of Edelbrock SDT mufflers with 2.25" in/out and a pre-bent 2.25" piping kit. The only part I needed was a set of Rush extractors which came in the mail a couple of days ago. The car has a high stall torque convertor and about 250-300lb of weight reduction. I yanked the interior, air conditioning, hydro fan, trunk interior and installed light weigth seats. The car is suppsoed to be a daily driver with an occasional romp at my local track. I dont plan to run cats or even try to cut down on the dB level. I want it to be loud and in your face as Colorado has no smog laws whatsoever. Anyway here are a couple pics of the Rush headers that arrived. They are MASSIVE, with stainless construction, equal length primaries, quality merge collectors, and quality welds. Once bolted up, the collectors sit a couple inches short of the transmission tail shaft, they are that long! I have no complaints about these headers so far. I cannot wait to hear them sing!

My only dilemma is to decide on a balance pipe... H-pipe or X-pipe? Noise is not a concern but performance is.

DSCN0940.jpg

DSCN0947.jpg

DSCN0948.jpg

DSCN0945.jpg

DSCN0946.jpg

Here's a couple more with the other side mounted. The only issue I have fitment wise is the pass. side O2 sensor. The stock sensor loom fits but the loom is touching the header with almost no play. I can cut it and lengthen the O2 loom or I can just wrap the loom with thermo wrap.
Also, the flange bolt holes were too tight to fit over the header studs so I had to massage the bolt holes a mm larger to fit but nonetheless, great fitment.
DSCN0952.jpg

DSCN0953.jpg

Looks good Sean; but I dare say you haven't totally given up on that VVTi, have you?

I wish I could keep the fight going but im out of time. I am home for summer break only and with limited work. If I had a half cut or some more time I think I could make it happen but right now I need a reliable DD to get me back to Colorado for my next semester. For a summer break project, I bit off a bit more than I could chew.

I wish I could keep the fight going but im out of time. I am home for summer break only and with limited work. If I had a half cut or some more time I think I could make it happen but right now I need a reliable DD to get me back to Colorado for my next semester. For a summer break project, I bit off a bit more than I could chew.

Sux to have deadlines and budgets.

I threw out both around 3 years ago. My only goal now is to finish my project before I croak :D

To armyman2445: http://rushimports.com.au/store/index.php?cPath=6&osCsid=22bef4ee38855fcac794e56a8e4d90c9

Tell Neil you're a Lextreme guy; he might cut you a deal ;)

Ive been looking for a set of these over multipule forums. Where did you order from???

rushimports.com.au. They ran $700 w/ international shipping. Shipping time wasnt too bad as it only took a week to get them.

BTW, if anyone was wondering, I found that a lot of people thought the Rush extractors were Tex knock offs... this is totally false. Neil and Tex sold them together from the beginning until Neil took over production.

Sux to have deadlines and budgets.

I threw out both around 3 years ago. My only goal now is to finish my project before I croak :biggrin:

I hear that! Last summer I prayed and prayed that I would get my standalone wired so I could finally use my 4.7L but it just never worked because of time/tuner incompetence. All I want is "simple" hehe

Just bolted up the Lextreme high stall torque convertor and transmission and everything slipped perfectly back under the hood. Despite these being so wide and long, I had no issues whatsoever installing the motor. Matter of fact I just threw out my stock exhaust alltogether. Driving to my local muffler shop with wide open 2.5" long tubes should really score points with the neighbors ;)

Well I cant say these headers are an exact fit...

The post O2 sensor bungs are 3 inches from the frame rail and there is no way I can run them. I have read that the engine runs fine with only pre O2 sensors.. can anyone verify this? The headers came with plugs for the bungs.

I dont really care about a CEL but what if I coat the sensors with JB Weld and strap them to the frame rail? Basically they would be reading zero oxygen content but would this trigger a CEL as well? Maybe leave a single sensor hole opening to allow some voltage signal?

Just the primary sensors? Did the car run rich or anything wierd like that?

Yes just the primary sensors.

So you only 3in from the bung to the frame rail.... So you cant install the O2 due to not enough room. I know it sucks, but when you were putting the motor back in, if you tilt the back of the motor down. You could then intall the O2's below the rocker panel, then set the motor back down. But since you already have the motor back in, thats alot of work for O2 sensors.

The motor is back in for the most part. My jack is holding the trans level until I do the rest today (motor mounts stabbed). The bungs are aimed horizontally at the frame rail when I simulate the crossmember height w/ the jack. Even if I managed to squeeze them into the bungs, I dont think there would be any room to clear the rails.

I'll try and take a couple pics tonight.

I dont think running secondaries are out of the question... probably need new bungs and a cut/lengthened loom to relocate on the inside of the header. And if i dont plan on running cats as it is, why should I blow more money on relocation if the same sensor will throw CEL either way? As long as the motors' tune is peachy w/o them I wont really sweat it. I talked with Neil and he sounded baffled. Said he has sold these for 7 years to the USA w/o fitment issues so maybe i'll just hold my thoughts until the motor is 100% bolted in.

I agree. IMO you will not have a problem at all with out the O2's. Before I had my exhuast done. I hollowed out the 2 cats off the manifolds and I didnt throw any codes. I figured that the O2's behind the cats would cause some problems and it didnt. So I just used some zip ties to hold up the O2's. I havent had any problems with burning rich.

Well I have to revert a couple posts back to where I said everything fit under the hood perfectly. I was underneath checking for grounds and noticed the pass side primary sensor caught on something and bent the straight sensor into a 45 degree sensor. Its a tight fit on that side since the sensr faces outwards, not inwards like the driver side. I did some research and I guess the Supra guys use pipe benders to fit them in tight places and they work but a bit of a gamble. This seems like a clean bend so who knows?

DSCN0970.jpg

If it doesn't work I have spares and will have the muffler shop relocate a bung if need be.

Well I woke up today and swapped batteries with my moms' acura and the SC fired right up... well it sorta SCREAMED when I started it up LOL. I cant let it warm up yet as I have a small fuel leak but it sounded GREAT. Open headers w/ almost no raspiness. I will probably have all my small grimlens sorted today/tomorrow.... maybe send it to the muffler shop next week.

Attachments

• engine1.jpg
    engine1.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 12
Well I finally got the entire exhaust welded up and the car is driving. I spent virtually all week getting the title + registration + insurance dealt with. I have to upload pics of the underside but the quality is top notch. I used pre bent mandrel aluminized 2.25" with magnaflow 2.25" X pipe and 2.25" magnaflow universals (the edelbrocks had wrong offset) with 4" tips. I only paid $220 for the labor + tips which was pretty decent.

The best news was the driving impression. I have never driven this car since I purchased it and I have never driven an SC400 bone stock before. I owned an sc300 but thats apples and oranges IMO. I really love the low end this thing has. With the high stall convertor I really cant find a flat spot in the powerband. I have yet to take it on the freeway but I did get it up to 85 on a backroad. Acceleration just pulls even with 225,000 on the clock. weight loss + TC + tri y's + catless 2.25" are a nice combo. Tomorrow I think I will get the BFI done for a few more hp. I'll post pics tomorrow morning.

Attachments

• lextreme 1.jpg
    lextreme 1.jpg
    525.7 KB · Views: 11
  • lextreme 2.jpg
    lextreme 2.jpg
    664.7 KB · Views: 8
  • lextreme 3.jpg
    lextreme 3.jpg
    556.9 KB · Views: 6
  • lextreme 4.jpg
    lextreme 4.jpg