Rough idle and stalling when warm on Hilux conversion

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

hayd90

Hi Guys,

Ive got a 65 series Hilux with a 1UZ that has just been wired up, There a problem with the idle once the engine warms up to over 60 degrees.

When cold the engine idles perfectly untill reaching around 60 degrees then it gets a lumpy/rough idle and will eventually stall if more throttle is not applied.

Now i disconnected the AFM and from stone cold started and warmed the engine up again, This time the engine got all the way to running temp but actually takes a lot longer to reach temp but it idles nicely and revs out clean and instant and does not stall or run rough at all.

As soon as the AFM is plugged back in the engine will stall.

Cheers for any help its appreciated.

RE idle prob

It sounds like you may have an air leak after the AFM check all hoses,check for cracks in ducting from AFM to plenum, a slight air leak after the AFM means the computer doesn't know about the extra air getting into the engine until it gets to the O2 sensors then tries to compensate for it but can not get the mixture right do to the unknown air coming in.

i think its very very hard to get an air leak on a 1uz especially if the inlet manifold hasnt been taken off
there is one big hose from throttle body to air flow meter and you would have to be blind to stuff that up and 2 tiny hoses
many people have had similar probs with engine running better when air flow is unplugged and its usually a faulty air flow meter or faulty ecu
one of the 1uzs i wired up had similar probs and he ended up getting ecu repaired
and fixed all his probs
but try find another air flow and ecu u can borrow and see if it fixes problem

I have the same sort of problem, a rear sump soarer engine into a hiace, standard ecu, starts up idles normally at around 1000 rpm just above. It revs to the limiter does what it should, I find when it gets up to operating temp the idle surges up and down afew hundred revs, thats the problem. What does anyone reckon it could be?

That one was one of the worst I had seen and the loom in terrible condition. Auto signals where all wrong , had several backfeeds and looked like a bird had nested in there. Just about everything was wrong so the complete loom was replaced and rewired correctly. Went fine after that.

Hey there this is kelvin aye? I tried what you told me in the email. Both centre pins have power, should both have power? And did the process which you said and both pins switch off straight away when the key is switched off