Rods...

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

1UZ-HZ

Hi,
I emailed PAR racing products on Monday, here's the reply I received;

Greetings,
Making a custom set is not a problem. For a 1 off set of 8 rods you will
be looking at $2000.
If you were to order quantities the price will be $1350 for 10+ sets.
Please feel free to ask further questions if need be.
Regards,
Harry.

They are billet CNC'd 4340, stress relieved, shot peened and megafluxed and come with ARP 3/8inch cap screws.

www.par-engineering.com

So would anyone be interested?

I would get a few more quotes first. Are these guys doing the machining themselves or do they employ some engineering company to make them for them.

I have yet to pull my engine to get a rod out but when I do I will get quotes from Newby engineering in Sydney Australia.

I am scared of any company that does Japanese performance. All I see is dollar signs. Sorry for such an uninformed opinion but I can't see why we wouldn't get a Performance V8 engineering company to make the rods. Newby make their own Billet aluminium rods for their 3000+hp Top Alchohol Dragster. I have seen them and know the CNC machinist and I can tell you they they would get my money over some nicley presented Japanese Performance house. I am very predijuiced in that respect. I have also seen some billet Rods they made for a GoCart engine. They were tiny!

Maybe prices could be cheaper if the manufacturer(s) knew there was a "constant" demand and not just a one off buy.
I hope that makes sense

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    245.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    274.2 KB · Views: 0
I had a look at Eagle rod's website www.eaglerod.com, and found nothing for the 1UZFE so I sendt off an e-mail:

----
Thanks for your input. We have recieved several
requests for rods for this engine. Although we
have no plans currently to produce rods for that
engine, numerous requests tend to steer our
production.

Thanks again for your input.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Trond Aas" <autronic @ ma...>
To: <[email protected]>
Cc: <tt @ lex....>
Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 5:57 AM
Subject: I think you should make rods for...

Hi !

I think you should make rods for the Lexus 1UZFE/3UZFE V8
engines from the Lexus LS400/LS430 and the Lexus SC400/SC430
cars.
The 1UZFE/3UZFE engines are gaining popularity because it's
an ideal engine to modify. It's light, it's small so it's easy
to install into cars who do not have the space for a normal V8
engine.
It also has a huge potential horsepower wise, it has a forged
crank stock and 6 studs/bolts main.

The rods should be easy to make, you can start from an early
Chevy SB rod, 5.7" c-c, 2.0" big end as the basis for the
1UZFE/3UZFE rod.
The 1UZFE has a 145.85 mm c-c and the big end bearing is 52.00
mm, the hole for the bearing is 55.00 mm. The big end width is
about 1 mm narrower than the Chevy SB rods ( 0.940" - 23.87 mm )
at 22.9 mm. The pin size is 22.00 mm, same as a lot of Japanese
engines.

The most active forum for modifying these engines is:
www.lextreme.com

There is already discussions what to do with rods for these
engines but so far custom is the only solution. At $1200+
that is not a solution for most of us.

Custom rods:

http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3411

Modifying Chevy SB rods:

http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3336

I hope you are willing to have a look, as I need 2 sets myself.
The last group buy we had was for Ross forged low compression
pistons and we ended up with 18 sets in the end.

Regards

Trond Aas

----

It looks like they can be persuaded to start making for the 1UZFE, so have a look at the website and get an e-mail off
to them.

Personally I wouldn't use "billet" rods.

Billet rods are basically cut from a sheet of alloy or steel of the required thickness.

I'd either stick with the stock rods or use forged alloy or steel rods.

It all has to do with the grain direction of the material they are made from.

You need to be 150% sure the rods you buy and fit are actually stronger than a stock rod.

Have a search under Conrods and read up on it. Very interesting reading.

The Eagle Rod Site makes good reading and tells you why billet rods are less than perfect.

I've had a thought on our rods problem.

How would we go if we approached a rod manufactuer and asked if we could purchase a set of SBC or 351 Clevo rods that had not gone thru the full manufacturing process.

We could then machine the big end to our dimensions and machine the gudgeon (little end) to our requirements and in the place we needed it?

Surely someone like Eagle would sell an incomplete set without any warranty and we could take it from there.

What are others thoughts?

I think that's a great idea, if the manufacturer is up to it but I can't see why they would say no.
Great thinking Rod :)

Guys, I realize you are looking for some major power but how do we know the stock rods are not up to snuff? The wimpiest rods Honda makes can handle 200+ and they are like pencils compared to what is in the 1UZ. Stock B series rods can handle close to 400 with no changes. Surely our rods can handle at least that without issue.

Everything you say is correct and in fact it is true that some of us are looking for major power. I think build it strong, encourage manufactures to supply parts and build it strong.

I'm hoping to get about 700hp at the wheels. I don't want to hurt my engine by throwing a rod that's at it's limit. I'm not made of money.
So I hope better Rods will be an insurance policey.

Nath

I want 1000 to 1200whp and Im not joking! I think the first project I will do I'll aim for 500 or 600hp so Im just gonna get head gaskets and head work. Then once the project makes that power I will end up building from the bottom up for the major power.

Jeff

I'm preppared to talk with my machinist and buy a set of SBC rods and see what he can do.

It's fine for us to "bench race" the problem but at some point in time someone has to see if it can e done.

I propose to buy an SBC rod and see what can be done with it.

If any one in Sydney has access to a standard SBC rod I can use let me know.