Regrinding Camshaft

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
I talked to my engine builder and his stated that he can regrind my stock cams and add shims on the valve stem. Are those aftermarket cams from Australia regrind or completely new? Regrinding stock cams is very affortable and we will test out a set very soon on a NA LS400 and do pre and post dyno on it.

I believe you can only go so far on a thicker shim before it becomes dangerous.

You can get to about 9.5mm lift on stock shims, and I would hazard a guess that it would be a lower lift on thicker shims.

My guy can do it for half of the price. I will go that route for now and see the dyno result. Most likely we will do an NA upgrade and a FI upgrade. Most people dont know this, but valve springs need to be change and the cost is about 550 extra. Either way we are looking at about 4,000 dollar upgrade cost.

From the price list above link:
Cams = $1,800
Springs = $550
Labor = $500

Therefore the total cost would be close to $4k. Changing the valve springs without taking the heads out would be difficult and that is where the labor cost jump so high.

Thats $1800NZD, which is about $1200USD

And you only need spring if you go over about 8.5mm lift
Anything between that an stock you should be able to retain stock lift.

Springs in Aus are only $350AUD which is well under $300USD too.

And there is no need to remove the heads for anyone who knows what they are doing.

Lex,

Peewee's right.

Total cost to me for brand new cams (cast and ground) plus 32 new springs was about $2,000.00 Aussie dollars or $1,500 US dollars.

Email Tony Kelford and see what he has to say. He's as straight shooter and won't tell his cams are best just to make a sale.