R154 to 1UZ information needed

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

trd87t

Hi guys,

i need some advise from you pros out there. i am currently going to tackle the project of putting a V8 in my 87 Supra.

My question is this: I have the standard 7M w/ the R154, etc. I have researched some on the kit from Dellow... however, I do not think I need the whole kit that they offer. I'm thinking that I could get away with just getting the bellhousing, use my existing equipment (fork, pressure plate, etc.) and just modify either the 7M flywheel to fit the bolt pattern of the v8 and get the flywheel re-ringed or just use the stock v8 flywheel and just drill it to fit the 7m pressure plate.

Any advise on this would be helpful.... as i'm trying not to get items that I already have and can use.

Thanks
-Josh

Josh,
Your current setup if it is a 7mgte-R154 probably employs a pull type clutch and associated hardware, unless it is a 7mge which will have only a W58 but a push type clutch.
The Dellow setup uses a push type clutch which means, different clutch fork, slave cylinder, pressure plate, throw out bearing.
As for flywheels 1uz was only available as auto so not much chance of redrilling to suit your clutch. Modifying your 7mgte flywheel may be possible if it is big enough to be turned down to fit the 1uzfe ring gear and have the mounting holes re drilled.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know that the W58 and R154 trannies were different like that (which is good that I ask questions ;).

Anyways, I was also got to research Castlemaine's site yesterday and found that they have just an adaptor plate for this conversion. If I were to go that route and also get their flywheel, would that be okay to do? Has anyone ever done this?

I'm sure it can't be the wrong way to do it. I would think that I would be able to use the same hardware (with the exception of the flywheel), thus eliminating some potiential problems.

this i find interesting
would you be able to use a housing that is available from dellow, a flywheel and then the w58 push type clutch cylinder?
not tryin to take the business away from the innovators, just curious

Given the cost of the Delow kit why would muck around trying to use alternative parts.

If you buy the kit and something doesn't fit/work you can always sort it out with Dellow's. If you intrroduce outside parts why should/would they help you?

1UZFE to R154 Transmission

Im in the process of doing this my self and after looking about at whats out there its a bit limited and prices are not good here in the uk, add in shipping from Au or Nz or even the Us and its just to expensive. Thor racing's kit seems to be very good but they only sell a complete kit, I want to use a light aluminium flywheel and a standard pattern Toyota push type clutch so I would be buying parts I wont use. Im also wondering if the slave would work ok with the master cyclinder in the ST185 (different fluid volumes = not enough clutch travel or a heavy pedal etc) Im opting for making my own adapter or maybe cut and weld the R154 bellhousing to the 1uz bellhousing. The welding option would likely be the easy way but its not going to look very tidy. The hardest part has been getting accurate measurments off the R154. It looks like Toyota placed 4 or 5 mounting holes on a PCD of 202mm but they arn't spaced say 60 degrees apart or anything so simple and worse still the other holes for the dowels and lower bolt holes are almost randomly placed!! This has made making an adapter a bit harder than it should be. If Thor ever sell there very smart and tidy adapter seperately ill be first in line.

Hi Steve,
We will sell just the converter/adaptor plate. These will be ready in Late February early March as we are having a mould made and these will be cast aluminium adators which are then CNC machined.

Price is likely to be £350

Regards
Pete

Adapter for 1uzfe to R154

Im sure there will be demand for the adapter on its own as this is the hardest part to source or make yourself. Also a complete off the shelf kit for those that can aford it is great to. This will save lots of time, trouble and expense for some builders. Ill be on the phone to THOR in the new year I guess. ;o)

I would really like that shifter reposition part... I wonder if it would be possible to buy the CNC files fora one off individual prodction for myself? I have a guy that can CNC here...

esolver...... err no!

CNC files remain our property. Nice try ;-) ha ha

I'm going to be advertising on the Lexus/Soarer forums soon and if I get a lot more interest then I can get this made too in volume.

We are currently mating an RB30 Skyline block to the Tremec TKO600 to put in our Skyline demo car.
After that I'm hoping to do the same mods for the Nissan V8 engine.
Development costs a lot of money and I need to see a return from this investment or what's the point.

Regards
Pete