R154 speed sensor

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Cobber

Can someone let me know a few things on the speed sensor I have in my R154. I want to hook it up to a vdo speedo. The 154 came from a soarer.

Which wire goes where?
White
Red with blue trace
Yellow

Is this a hall effect sensor in these boxes?

Will I damage it if I hook it up wrong?

How many pulses per rev?

Thanks guys

Andrew

Why not pull out the Toyota sensor and replace it with a VDO unit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Brett,

I thought I could just use the Toyota sender to send a signal to the vdo gauge I just don't know what wire is what and don't want to smoke it.

Power, earth and signal I presume but I wan't to know if I will do any damage before I start putting power on the wrong wire.

Plus I had no idea VDO made a sensor that fitted a 154 box.

Im glad you bought this subject up, i have the same question at various forums and not much luck.

I wanted to use the factory sensor as the vdo one is pretty pricey.

is it a gear driven unit or does it just resemble a standard type gear tooth sensor? Where in the box is it located?

Sorry for asking question instead of answering yours? But this info might help me to answer the questions being that we didn't get the soarer spec R154 boxes here. Pics of the whole sensor and its location in the box would help too.

Chris,

It's the one on the left next to the "B". I have no idea how it is driven I could take it out if need be.

No mine pink(or maybe red)white and green.I might not have the right one possibly as mine looks different to yours.

Mine is more of a triangle shaped metal box which has wires coming out of it then a plug.Im pretty sure i screwed the fitting of it and then screwed a speedo cable on to the factory adaptor in the box.

Ok, it is gear driven just like the mechanical speedo unit in the R's here. I was thinking that it might have been different (hard and long to explain). Anyways, let me see what I can dig up as to the wiring and the out puts on it.

every toytota sensor on 1uzs and 1js etc etc has the centre pin as an earth

usually brown

one side3 is then 12vs other is signal

yellow would be 12vs on yrs going from my fdiagrams

bluered is earth if tis centre pin

and white is sig

Jim,

Your a legend there's a cold beer in the fridge here for you when your over this way next.

Thanks guys,

Cheers
Andy

So 1UZVL's must be middle one earth, white sig and the other is power, shouldn't be too hard to work out.

as long as the middle pin is grounded

u have 50 50 chance getting it right

and common 12v colours are yellow and sometimes red/blue

so since u have yell i guess thats 12v

Ok, from what I can find which also backs up sideshow's claim,

Yellow = +12
Red/blue = Earth / Ground
White = Signal out

I cant tell you the exact pulse per rev, but typically toyota VSS's are 4pulse per rev.

the later 1js and 20js had 20 pulse sensors

20 pulse is more common on 6 cyl adn v8s

4 pulse is common on older 4 cyl

Thanks Chris , Jim,

I will know in a couple of days how many pulses when I hook it up.

Cobber,lets us know how you go,when looking at the VDO book there sender for the gauge is a 8 pulse per rev.The one i was recommended by vdo help line was a 340.808.I just hope there is enough adjustability in the speedo,but no one could tell me.

Cobber,lets us know how you go,when looking at the VDO book there sender for the gauge is a 8 pulse per rev.The one i was recommended by vdo help line was a 340.808.I just hope there is enough adjustability in the speedo,but no one could tell me.

VDO wouldn't tell you what the maximum pulse rate was for the gauge oir maximum number of pulse per given distance?