Project Thread Project SC400TT

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Your starter sounds very different from mine. Yours sounds almost like a BMW V12's. Is it stock?

It's OEM, but it is new....

After the tuning is done and everything else is done, you should create a new thread about the history of the build. It's more like a biography.

Agreed. When I get it on the road, I will start a new thread that will be a very shortened one with the highlighlights only.

Ryan

All gauges are functioning perfectly and I have installed them back into the burl faceplate. I am organizing and soundproofing the wires and the plate will be installed into the pod in a few minutes. Here is a pic of the plate with the gauges:
Gaugesinstalledplate2.jpg
More to come.
Ryan

Last edited:
The gauges look gorgeous Ryan; the wood trim isn't my cup of tea, but they're still gorgeous and it looks like the quality is top drawer.

The gauges look gorgeous Ryan; the wood trim isn't my cup of tea, but they're still gorgeous and it looks like the quality is top drawer.

Thanks Cribb. I wanted to match the trim in the car, so I kept it the same.in the future, it may become Carbon Fiber....:eek:

Good job, Ryan. You've succeeded in making me feel bad :mad:

:D
I love your build. No compromises here, everything is top of the line. I wish I had more hands, so that I could give your car four thumbs up :D

Thanks, not trying to make you feel bad.....:D

Hello gang. Scott (MotorHeaddown/Gearheaddown),came by this morning to continue with tuning and he knocked it out of the park today!! He had been on a plane last week, and had some time to really RTFM the manual, so he got a very clear handle on the Autronic SM4, and was able to understand the previous challenges we had while he was tuning. He showed me the graphs that the SM4 displays, and he was able to map one out much like his curves on his AEM. So, by playing with the mapping on the graphs, and adding the tighter resolution where it is most needed before even getting on the car, he was able to upload it to the SM4, and it was heaven to our ears.

He got the idle down to 660 rpm, and it was perfectly stable. But since the car likes rpm 750, which is stock, he bumped it up to that and it was beautiful music. The car hummmed and idled as if it just came off the show room floor. Not only that, but accleration was fantastic. the engine sounds strong, very strong. I also noticed the BOV was functioning perfectly.

We could not go any further only due to the shimming of the BBK's. They are slightly scrubbing, so I have to tweak them yet again. Also, more importantly, the AFR stopped displaying, I think I may have a loose connection with the wiring to the 02 sensor, which I will rectify this week. At this point, while there is much to tune before getting on the dyno, it is exciting and promising.

My hat is off to Scott Davidson, who knows what he is doing.

Ryan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NbhSP92vf8

Last edited:
Here is what Scott posted up about the last tuning event on Clublexus:

Ryan... thanks for the kind words. It's been a little slow going, but I'm happy with the progress.

Fortunately, the SM4 is doing most of the work here. Unlike the AEM which exposes every tuning parameter known to man, the SM4 software is much easier to use because the details are hidden from the user. Under some circumstances that could be undersireable, but Autronic did a nice job exposing only the required parameters to get the job done.

I was impressed, for example, during engine decel that the IACV stepper is progressively controlled to drop the engine RPMs into the idle feedback loop; this was handled automatically by the software. Once we reset the throttle limits, we could see and hear the motor slowly decrease in RPMs after blipping the throttle followed by a subtle drop into the idle feedback loop. Additionally, I prefer to tune using Boost Fuel Correction and even wrote an article on Supraforums about it (http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=520811). The SM4 has a mode that not only provides the same functionality but also removes the redundant table entries above 0 PSI and at 0% throttle to permit constant AFRs for both boost and idle. This should make setting up the fuel table easy (hehe... famous last words!). :p

Of course, the SM4 supports 3D plots of fuel and timing as well as easy means to copy/paste cells and increment/decrement values. Additionally, the logger function provides real-time graphing of whatever parameters you want to monitor.

Anyway, we're just now getting a good enough understanding of the tuning software to make good progress; so, it's just a matter of fixing some minor issues and coordinating our schedules before getting the car on the road.

Let's hope that completing the rest of the tune is as easy as setting up idle!

Thanks,
-scott

Ryan

Way to go Ryan, you're almost there!

You're going to have one very unique ride to enjoy this summer, and I hope you can lay to rest some of the misinformation and bad reps that the boosted UZ's have been getting.

Very progressive Ryan! You're not in "Con-gress" anymore. :D

Isn't that the truth, Steve? :D It has been a very long road, but I cannot tell you how strong the engine sounds. The idle is amazing. The video does not do it justice, because the sound is distorted.

Way to go Ryan, you're almost there!

You're going to have one very unique ride to enjoy this summer, and I hope you can lay to rest some of the misinformation and bad reps that the boosted UZ's have been getting.

Me too, John. I am looking forward to wasting some high end sports coupes, and sports cars. I am hoping Scott's schedule and mine cooperate enough that I am actually driving it by the end of this month. I will keep you posted.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Long Overdue Update

Hey all, this update is long overdue...I last posted up after Scott Davidson's awesome idle tune...Unfortunately, since then, we have not been able to hook up since due to both of our schedules. Scott is certainly more than capable of tuning my car, but he can generally only provide a few hours at a time. When adding the learning curve of the SM4 software, this greatly extends the time it takes to tune. So, after discussing this in detail, Scott will continue to focus on his monumental tasks at work, and so will I, as we are both working on major projects for our companies. I have engaged Enzo from Enzo-Racing to tune my car. Enzo has 10 years experience the Autronic, and he is their top US dealer/tuner. I will fl him down in the month of July from New York, and he will complete the tune.

In the mean time, Shane is coming by tomorrow to take me for a ride in his newly completed SC300 Turbo, and to work with me on my car. We are cleaning up the wiring, installing the interior, and a few other items.

Here are some pics of my headlights, with a couple of coats of Black paint. This is the final design, they just need completion now. They should be done within a week or so.

IMAG0014.jpg

IMAG0017.jpg

IMAG0025.jpg

IMAG0028.jpg

Ryan

Update (not on aesthetics, but on runnnung the car)

Gang, it has been several weeks since I updated you on the mechanical aspects of my project…So here's an update of my progress… I have resolved the fuel pump wiring. Instead of running two separate fuel pump outputs and leads from the SM4, I decided that I would only use the main default output to run both pumps simultaneously. The default fuel pump output on the SM4 is now connected to both pumps and I split the trigger wire to both relays (one to each pump), and it is working perfectly. Both pumps stay off until I turn on the key, then the ECU primes both pumps and shuts them off until I start the motor. I think the secondary output that was reprogrammed lost its programming, perhaps after the ECU was re-flashed. Anyway, I will always run both pumps instead off staging them. Probably safer anyway. Now I have only to complete the installation of the water/meth injection, and connect the boost gauge. Btw, the base map is running well, and should be good for non-boosted driving. It is still a bit rich, but I will lean it out am little this weekend. I adjusted the idle set screw because the idle was very low (450 rpm), once I did that, it stopped idle hunting. I'm planning to drive the car this weekend. Final tune should be within a few more weeks. If the drive goes well this weekend, I will drive it over to Tampa for the final wet sand, buff, and repaint of the front fender.

Ryan

BTW, most of the interior is back in the car...Carpet, upper dash, passenger side airbag, headliner, visors, dome lights, rear deck, rear seat. Some of the speaker wire I ran (non-Monster) corroded badly, and I had to run new Monster to replace it. I plan to install the center console, stereo, AC control module, AC vents, lower dash, dash pocket and front seats this weekend.

I tested the sound of the Walbros bleeding into the cabin with the doors shut, and they are almost imperceptible. When the engine was idling, I could not hear them at all. I was sitting on the back seat too, so, no issue with the pumps.

Just about there...

Ryan