Project Thread Project LS400T

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Is that a 0.84 A/r turbine housing?
What rpm does it spool up at, pretty quickly ide presume?
Also, sorry, but if your looking at producing a kit for people to buy, the pipe work and welding would need to be neater.

David, remember what i asked on msn? Have you found out if the uneven length of your manfold effects spooling/boosting properties of the turbo?? I don't think the engine would sputter or anything, but is there anything different about the way it runs at all?
Everyone seems to be telling me that having a manifold THAT uneven cant be good... are they right?

This system is not fully tested yet and i can not answer that question because my laptop is missing a usb driver in the device manager section. I will post the results once the engine is fully tune so i can push the car hard.... then we will find out if this is grossly noticeable.

I drove about an hour today with Los Angeles bumper to bumper traffic this morning. No heating issue. Aside from that. Boost starts at around 2,000 rpm and achieve 6 psi at 3k and 12 psi at about 4k. Can not boost more because my USB Driver is missing and can not upload the FI Map to the Split Second ECU.

David

Right when i was going to get rid of the sc400 for a supra i have a new inspiration! Motor looks incredible! Keep us updated.

David... OUTSTANDING work... you have come a long long way from your very first twin turbo effort. I think you may find the pipework will have a tendency to crack but my hat is off to you for actually getting this project (and the others) out of your head and into a car.

I wonder what the Lexus assembly line workers, who built your car, would say if they could see what you have done to that sedate LS400 sedan! :D

JBrady,

I knew you would come by and give me your expert feedback. Finally!!!!! I would say, this is the most sucessful project of the three. This turbo works great with the combo. At 12 psi, its barely at 1/3 of its maximum. Lots of room for boost. I do plan to get some custom JE forged Dished Piston very soon so i can push this engine harder. Right now the mechanical waste gate spring is set for 15 psi, but it starts to open at 12 psi.

The pipe is TIG welded and high temp coated along with exhaust support. Crossing my fingers, it should out last my engine...lol......

Thanks John.....

Looks pretty good David,congrats. We need video or at least sound clips of the beast on boost.

If it were my car,I'd run the 'gate open,dumptube facing the ground ;)

How close does the exhaust get to the steering rack?
IMG_0980.jpg
I'd have some concerns about melting the boots of the inner tie rod ends. Maybe use some sheetmetal formed to fit around the subframe with some thermal insulation?

Again my congratulations.

hey lextreme, first let me congratulate you on the completion of your project!! you are truly one of the most inovative individuals we early generation Ls400 owners have come across!! now my question is, do you at anytime in the near furture plan to reproduce the single turbo kit to the public if there are people interested??

Nope.... the demand is too low... for it.... I can get it made cheap from China... like about 250 for the complete hearders, but only few hardcore owners would be interested.

hi i have a twin turbo 1uz in vh ss commodore that the turbos hi mounted on ether side of a costom intake. It looks way cool and stops everyone in there traks. The hole car is show finish. how do get pitchers on hear to show u

Fat,

Welcome and please do share your project with us. Love to learn more about it.

Rocky,
This Single turbo system will work on Celsior, Soarer as well as LS400. However, this will NOT work on the SC400.

That's very cool to see all together,sounds like things are going well.
I didn't know Split Second had an ECU that accepted programming; I thought their stuff was adjusted on the fly with a bunch of knobs from inside the car, sounds pretty sophisticated.
Can't wait to hear the M5 kill stories!

SCV8,

Split has over 848 parameters.... Fuel and Timing... its a spread sheet styled... Very useful and easy to program. Got my idle and boost at 14.7 AFR. With wideband O2... the system is fail proof.

I am not sure if Unichip have that capability. Secondly, unichip seller would have to program it for you... I been playing around with it for the pass two weeks and thanks to Mark the owner of SS helped me over the phone. The car runs beautifully. Now i just need more ignition for the high rpm spark.... MSD is going in next week and dyno a week after or so.... Shooting for 15 psi.... and perhaps 18 psi if injectors allow. Stock motor except .093" copper gaskets and ARP Studs.

Wow, the last time I spoke to Mark was in 2000 when I was putting an engine swap together and couldn't get the car to run right, he sold me an arc-2 and it worked great after 20 minutes of twisting the knobs around.

I wish now that I would have contacted him before I bought my unichip, but I just wanted a quick fix for the lame iginition timing curve, wasn't really concerned with future mods at that time.I do remember checking the SS website, and they didn't offer anything that'd alter the timing, so I gave up, guess it pays to call huh?

thanks for the info lex. i guess if i wanted to duplicate this kit i would have to do the fabrication my self. can you give me a ball park figure of what the kit will cost me if i go ahead and duplicate yours? thanks again

I assume u will be running about 7-8 psi right? I would say about 3.5 to 4k for parts and misc labor.

7-8 psi Stage I about 4k
Intercooler 650
Turbo 700
WG 300
BOV 200
Header 500
Pipes 150
Hoses and clamps 150
FMU 275
Gauges 50 (if needed)
Labor 500
downpipe 500
Estimated RWHP about 350 rwhp

12-15 psi Stage II about 2k more
400 injectors 300
255 walbor pumpkit 130
fuel pressure regulator kit 300
Split Second ECU 450
Copper Gaskets 160
labor 500
Estimated RWHP about 475-500 rwhp

I am sure u can find great deals on ebay. That is just a ball park. Assuming you have the tools and an extra engine at home. Best of luck. Please let me know if i can be at your service.