Power steeting noise PROBLEM SOLVED

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

JBrady

OK, this sux, changed my spark plugs and passenger valve cover gasket. I moved the power steering reservior and did not notice the old rubber tubing had become brittle and cracked down low unseen.

After finishing I started the car and let it warm up and went to move it an NOISE from the steering. I barely moved the wheel and stopped right away, replaced the hose, filled with Dextron III and started again. Slowly turned the wheel all the way each direction several times. Noise got lower but did not go away.

Here it is over a month later and STILL noisy. Never bled completely or damaged something internally. :mad:

For anyone that MAY know the answer. Are the racks on our cars subject to damage from a cavitating pump?

I am thinking of rebuilding/replacing the pump but if the rack has damage that is a waste of time as both would need replacing OUCH.

Suggestions?

Last edited:
John, not sure about the rack question, but I know that the pumps themselves are easily damaged. There's a filter/screen at the bottom of the Supra's pump that clogs up fairly easily and causes cavitation, and once that starts, the pump itself isn't long for this world. Fortunately they're not outrageous to replace. I was going to rebuild mine on the Supra, but once I priced the parts, it was more effective to replace. The Lexus part may be another story, but I'd betcha the Tundra part might work and would be cheaper....

John if you need a rack, I know a guy that builds them for shops and for individuals. I have seen no one that can touch his prices. Let em know if you want the link.

GL.

Ryan

Problem solved !!!

PROBLEM SOLVED !!!

a relatively new (160 total posts) Club Lexus member posted this tip. He was the ONLY CL member to post anything!

I'm not sure about in your particular case, but when I changed my PS fluid, it had a ton of air in it and it was making a lot of noise. What fixed it was jacking the front of the car up, and then with the engine OFF, turning the wheel all the way left and right about 100 times, and topping off the fluid as the air was burped out.

Doing this with the engine on did nothing.

Hope this helps.

GREAT ADVICE...!!!

This worked and my PS is once again Lexus quiet :D

I had driven with this noise for a month trying to decide if I should rebuild or replace the pump and worried that the cavitation had damaged the rack requiring that to be rebuilt or replaced...