One coil out of time.

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

cuh8er

Ok I started a new thread because this is a new problem.
I am starting to get something that resembles a working engine now. Idle issues are sorted now thanks to cjsupra90.

The engine now idles but only on (from what I can tell) 4 cylinders.
I checked the fuel side of things and everything is ok. Freshly cleaned injectors with fresh fuel.
The ignition side of things is another story.

I threw a timing light on the left hand side coil (passenger side for us Aussies) and the timing was at around 18* at idle. The right side was another story, I couldn't tell where the timing is, it's that far out. I have checked the belt and it has been fitted correctly (engine came from a working half cut back in the day).

So my question is this. What can affect the timing only on one coil?
I have belled the trigger wire out from the igniters to the coil and the passanger side (the good side) is around 1 ohm. Whereas the drivers side is up around 0.8-0.9 ohms.

I have swapped coils and the problem remains on the same cylinders.
I have swapped igniters and the problem remains on the same cylinders.
By my thinking, the only thing that is left is the wire that goes from the igniter to the right hand side coil....?

Anyone here able to shed some light....?

The coils fire on alternating pulses. The first coil fires, then 90deg later the second coil fires, then 90deg later, back to the first coil and so on. your not seeing the other coil fire within the timing makes cause it wont.

Basically the first coil fires at 0 and 180 and the second coil fires at 90 and 270 so you'll never see the second coil firing with the timing mark lining up with the timing indecator..

Unless someone has repinned the ignitor plugs, then I doubt that wiring is the issue here.

If you wanted to check the wiring of the ignitors, its pretty easy.
For the number 1, the ignitor plug should have 5 wires and thier colors should be as follows:
1) Yellow with green tracer
2) White with red tracer
3) Black with orange tracer
4) solid Black
5) solid Blue

The number two ignitor will only have 4 wires and they are as follows:
1) Yellow with black tracer
2) Brown with yellow tracer
3) Black with orange tracer
4) empty (no wire)
5) solid Red

At the coils, there should be a Black with orange but the trigger wires from the ignitors on some cars changed colors in the harness. Easiest way to make sure that they have not been flip floped would be to check continuity between the second wire on the coil and the ignitors

At the ignitors, you would only be dealing with the 5th wire on each (i.e. the solid blue and the solid red) these are the wires that run to the coil for triggering the coils... The number 1 coil is the one mounted on the side of the engine (above A/C compressor) there should be continuity between the second wire (none black with orange) and the solid blue wire from the first ignitor. The second coil (mounted up top on infront of water bridge) should have continuity between the second wire of it (none black with orange) and the Solid Red wire of the second ignitor plug.

If the colors are correct in the ignitor plugs and the continuity checks out correctly between the coils plugs and ignitor plugs, then the ignition wiring is correct.

Are you still not getting any codes any more?? Particularly that code 14 like you had previously in the other thread? since all the code were gone (previous thread) how long is the longest time that you have left it running? If not very long, try leaving it / keeping it running for atleast a few minutes and see if any codes come back.

Cheers again CJ.
I now understand the coils firing at different times. I was thinking they both fired at the same time.

The colours are as you said and I did notice that they must have changed colours somewhere in the loom.

Yesterday I let it run for atleast 10 minutes at idle as I wanted to make sure my Hydraulic fan wiring was correct so I needed it to warm up.... Still no codes....

Back to the other thread then....:paranoid: