Oil Supply

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

1UZ-HZ

Hi,
I swear there was a thread for this around, but I couldnt find it. How do I go about getting an oil supply for a turbo from the motor? I was thinking about a closed loop setup similar to the one CAPA sells with their supercharger kits for Commodore and Falcons.
Any help would be apprieciated

Get the oil from the oil pressure sensor. Its by the oil filter. Uncrew the oil pressure sensor and add a 1/4" npt male/male along with a 1/4" npt T female. After the T is installed, u can re-install the oil pressure again. Now u have an extr outlet for fresh oil. Good luck. I have pictures somewhere.

1uz Hz

Hi, does any one out there know the required flow rate (litres/mintue) of oil to supply two turbos hanging off a Lexus 1UZFE V8. I am at the stage of being able to fire the engine up (turbos attached) for the first time and do not want to cook them or blow the seals out. Also what sort of oil is best to use. My setup is very similar to davids LS400 TT except the turbos do not need their own sump as they sit above the engine sump.

I believe he was talking about max load on the turbo. In this case high pressures on both the turbine and comrpessor sides. He also said never exceeed 65-70 psi at the turbo. Make restrictors, by-passes, whatever, to reduce it.

I have a small 1/8 NPT valve in the feed line for this purpose. What sor tof oil is bes to use. Also are you aware of a shorter oil filter than the standard issue one? I have clearance problems.

just following this thread on for a bit more, can i run off my oil filter lines for the turbo?

ie replace the return line from the filter to the engine with a line running to a turbo, then a line back to the engine from the turbo?

if i were to use twins, could i hook them up in series? ie oil goes from filter, to turbo 1, to turbo 2 then back to engine? or would i have to install an oil cooler after the turbos?

here's a pic of my oil filter lines and remote filter mount.

MVC-852S.JPG

pro240C,

The turbos could never handle the oil flow required to plumb it the way you want. The Flea mentioned a .5 gal per minute at 25lb when the engine probably pumps tens of gallons per minute at up to 80lb pressure.

Remember the oil goes from the pump thru the filter THEN into your engine to feed main and big end bearings etc. You would be heating the oil that has to flow through those bearings before it got there.

An alternative would be to get the oil pump system of an SC400 used to drive the engine fan. Plumb this into the turbos in series, through a small oil filter and an oil cooler (the SC400 has one) and use a holding tank like a soarer. One advantage of this system is you don't use the engines oil to lube the turbos. Both systems should be better off for it.

Have a look at a SC400 to see what I mean. I have an SC400 engine on the stand at the moment and I could take some photos if you want.

I was thinking of kinda doing the same thing, though I'm wondering how much oil would you have in the holding tank? 2 or so litres?

The SC400 pump is in the equivalent place as the fan pulley on a crown. It is actually behind and driven by the equivalent of the fan pulley.

The pump fits within the front plastic covers. You would need to regulate the pressure with a bypass but that is the easy bit.

You would need would a small 2 litre holding tank similar to the SC400 tank.

You would still need to have a return line to the tank.

Thinking about it you may need a pump to lift the used oil up to the tank otherwise the turbos could have oil sitting in them when the motor was not running.

What are other people's thoughts? That SC400 pump must be good for some alternative use.

OH! :)
i see now - the SC timing cover has an oil pump INSIDE IT that i could utilise as secondary pump yeah? and that is just the fan pulley on the LS engine? hmm...i like the sound of that.

i wouldn't worry about oil stagnating in the core when the engine is off, as long as it's back to normal operating temps it should be fine.

i could easily build a 2.0L tank - and locate it neatly.

I'll post a photo of the front of the SC engine tonight. I can also post a photo of the tank the SC uses plus the size of the cooler, but I would use a bigger cooler for the turbos. I actually use the SC cooler for my manual trans.

I think that that is a great use for the fan pump. for low mount turbo's it could be difficult to stop oil sitting in them. if you want the pump to remain primed then oil will sit in the turbos i think. Would that be a problem??
the pump does flow enough it can get that fan fairly cranken.
If someone really wanted i could try and source a oil pressure guage to check the pressure of my fan circuit.

Knowing the pressure needed to drive the fan motor would be handy.

I note all the unions on the pressure side are flanged and bolted. This indicates it is carrying a fair amount of pressure. I have the pump sitting in a box at home. I will look at shoving some air into it at say 100psi and see what it does. I realy expect the pump to put out 10-15 bar.

Before going to the effort of finding a pressure gauge one of our Soarer members may have the Soarer Bible from Jeff Harper (calling Jeff) and they/he may be able to tell us what pressure it runs.

If you bled some oil off (via a pressure bypass) and returned it to the holding tank (which is obviously above the pump) the pump would remain primed.