Oil level switch

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

MrE

Hi Guys,

Putting a LS 400 V8 in my LJ70, I would like to use the oil sensor thats in the sump and wire it to the now unused glow plug light in the dash. The sensor has 2 wires 1 brown and 1 green/brown?, do I give one wire 12v feed then use other wire to power the bulb, or is this another sensor like the oil pressure that has just an earth running through it?

Cheers

Mark....

just check resistance of sensor out of sump when oil level is hi and also when oil level is low
hi u should have no resistance and low u should have resistance
but i know on mr2s there is a small oil level ecu which means sometimes its not a direct
signal from sensor to light
this is to stop the light coming on at wrong times like maybe u might take a corner very fast and suddenly light comes on cause oil slushes to the opposite side
anyway find how the sensor works on the ls400 and see if it has any weird circuit
otherwise hook it up and test it and if it comes on only when cornering i would not worry bout it

I was sure I had pix of that oil level switch on my computer, but can't seem to find them. That's all it is - a switch.

When the oil level drops to low level, the float drops and makes contact with a stationary contact and completes the path to ground.

According to the schematic, pin#1 of the switch is the float and pin #2 will go to earth. So if you're measuring at the harness side, and you have your DVM negative connected to the block or battery, you should see +12v on pin 1 of the harness and nothing on pin 2. If you switch the DVM to resistance, you should get continuity to earth on pin 2.

p.s. all it does is illuminate an idiot light - nothing fancy.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies guys, will get onto it as soon as I finally get the, pump, radiator, igniter's and MAF sorted so I can connect the battery's and get her fired up:)

Cheers muchly

Mark.........