Nozzle Collector theory

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

JBrady

The nozzle collector is similar to a merge collector with internal modification. Some basic theory and understanding will help visualize what is going on.

The exhaust event has at least 2 phases.
BLOW DOWN (BD): starts before BDC as the exhaust valve opens towards the end of the power stroke. This is the highest pressure and speed and needs to effectively reduce the residual pressure as low as possible before BDC.

PUMP OUT (PO): After BDC the piston must push against any residual pressure and flow resistance to expel the remaining exhaust gasses.

It is important to understand that small pipes and poor manifolding present little problem to BD as the pressure differential is so great that it easily overcomes moderate resistance. In fact any resistance actually acts to exert pressure on the piston during the power stroke and will actually add to the crankshaft power.

PO is where so much can be gained or lost. If there any residual pressure from BD this steals power from the crank as it must push against this pressure from BDC to TDC. If two or more exhaust pipes are connected and the manifold design is poor there is the danger of the high pressure of BD feeding into the connect pipe and cylinder that is in its PO phase. Correctly designed manifolding can actually pull a vacuum on connected pipes and actually PULL on a piston during PO.

Exhaust flow obviously increases as RPM increases. At low RPM the exhaust flow is WAY below the pipes capacity when sized for peak power support. Even pipes undersized for peak power will still have much more capacity than low RPM exhaust flow needs. This is why too large of pipe and/or poor collector hurts low end power. Slower flow allows for reversion both in the individual exhaust port pipe as well as the rest of the pipes with decreasing effect. Long pipes with small diameters are better for low RPM power while short pipes with larger diameter better for high RPM power.

Now, with that primer in mind let’s consider the merge collector. The idea is to use the directional velocity of one pipe under BD to pull a vacuum on the connected pipe(s) or at the very least not create any unnecessary turbulence. Two of many important factors in a merge collector are the angle of convergence and the volume created in the collector volume. The collector volume is the area where all the pipes join BEFORE the exit pipe. You want to have the SMALLEST total collector volume. You also want the steepest convergence angle. Problem: the steeper the angle the larger the volume.

Now, visualize that the total area of the pipes leading into the merge is more than the area of the pipe from the merge. Also, the collector volume is larger than the total area of the pipes leading into it. So, as exhaust transitions from the feed pipe into the collector the area increases, this slows the velocity and then as it enters the exiting pipe the volume reduces and the velocity increases. This is an area of inefficiency. Non-merge collectors have a much larger volume and are even worse. That said collectors have a net positive effect by combining flow which increases velocity and reduces reversion.

Nozzle Collector: I take the shape of a 2-1 merge collector and extend the center of the merge a small amount. This creates a D shape at the end of each feed pipe. This does 3 things. It moves the velocity increase point from the outlet of the collector to the end of the feed pipe. It also reduces the collector volume. It also creates a one-way anti-reversion point at the feed outlet.

Now, if the combined volume of the two D areas of each feed pipe is the same net amount as the volume of the pipe exiting the collector… what have you lost in terms of peak flow? Nothing? Below peak flow what is the restriction on the engine with the D shaped pipe collector feeds? Nothing? I see this being a good enhancement for low to mid RPM operation with negligible restriction to peak flow… maybe none.

The increased velocity and reduced collector volume should provide a strong vacuum on the attached feed pipe. Transition from feed to collector to exit may improve. For a HiPo street application this should work great. The power increase and response will probably be below typical dyno pull RPMs. Higher flatter greater overall torque curve.

One last thing to chew on. Most header designs separate connect pipes to there is no shared exhaust event. If designed properly a nozzle and even merge collector can use the BD of one cylinder to pull a vacuum on the connect cylinder during its PO phase! Some designers are actually starting to pair cyl 1&2 and 3&4 on inline 4 cylinder engines due to this effect. Traditional Tri-Y headers for a 4 cyl would pair 1&4 and 2&3.

Last edited:
I made a number of these but the pics are on a different computer.

Here is a quick hand drawing and cell phone picture (poor quality both)

To create a standard merge collector you cut a section shaped somewhat like a tall narrow triangle as seen on the top left below. When two pipes are cut they fit together and are welded into a conventional 2-1 merge collector.

To create my nozzle collector the triangle shape is modified leaving the top wedge of the triangle not removed. The removed part looks like the shape on the top right.

The remaining material needs to be flattened to allow the 2 pipes to fit together forming the nozzle collector. Once welded from the outside it looks like a conventional 2-1 merge collector.

If you look down the pipe you will see the flattened wall where both pipes intersect creating a "D" spaped openning.

I can already hear people thinking... "that would restrict flow" whatever...

Very Interesting theory…

You mention some thing about the volume of the D shape pipes in the merge point… and that need integration to be calculated.

I suggest you to draw side, top and oblique figures to show how it will be!

Very Interesting theory…

You mention some thing about the volume of the D shape pipes in the merge point… and that need integration to be calculated.

I suggest you to draw side, top and oblique figures to show how it will be!

With all the science it is still an art. What is the perfect outlet area? What is the perfect primary area? Merge angle? D area?

The quest is to develop the highest average torque/power. If on the street that dictates a different range than drag racing which is again different from circle track which is dependent on track length, corner and straight layout and turn banking.

I have given away quite a bit of knowledge above. Play with it. Test some sizes. Pick an outlet size... say 2.25" (good street choice) or even 2.00" (strong street torque). Use simple geometry to calculate the D area based on primary pipe size. I suggest 1.5" primaries for street headers (most track as well). Gets a bit tricky when considering bondary layer and total surface vs. area. Smaller pipe has more surface vs. area. Another reason a single large flows more than 2 small of equal total area.

If you are serious about calculating exhaust I HIGHLY recommend PipeMax software. It is CHEAP at $40
http://www.maxracesoftware.com/pipemax36xp2.htm

I think pics may be clearer, I'm still kinda confused with the drawings. Have you seen the pics of 2-1 merge on Burns Stainless website?

Absolutely, I recommend Burns frequently.

The design I am describing looks just like a Burns merge collector from the outside with the extra material on the inside.

Have you built any exhaust system parts?

I'm in the slow process of building two 2-1 merge collectors for two different motorcycles. A member on another site for motorcycles figured out the dimensions of the primaries for each bike, OD and length before merge. He used an exhaust design program he has at work. I don't know which one it is and he didn't have much information on the dimensions after the merge. Is it just trial and error based on what curve I'm lookin' for?

Give me some more details on the inside of this design please. The rest is pretty clear.

Are you saying that the ends of the primaries get flattened on one side to decrease the area slightly?

I'm in the slow process of building two 2-1 merge collectors for two different motorcycles. A member on another site for motorcycles figured out the dimensions of the primaries for each bike, OD and length before merge. He used an exhaust design program he has at work. I don't know which one it is and he didn't have much information on the dimensions after the merge. Is it just trial and error based on what curve I'm lookin' for?

I HIGHLY recommend spending $40 and getting the PipeMax program I listed the link to above. This program is WAY more than you can imagine and will allow you to taylor any project you are building. It truly has 100s of thousands of dollars if not millions worth of combined knowledge. Get it.

Give me some more details on the inside of this design please. The rest is pretty clear.

Are you saying that the ends of the primaries get flattened on one side to decrease the area slightly?

If you are familiar with building 2-1 merge collectors you will recognize the first drawing as the wedge cut off each pipe to allow the two to merge. The second image is the difference. It is the same cut UNTIL you are nearing the peak and instead of continuing you cut accross. You gently flatten the uncut portion so each pipe will fit together. The result is a "D" shape internally and reduced collector volume with the acceleration happening at the primary end.

I'm making a jig to cut a 15 degree angle off the end of both primaries so as to attain the 30 degree included angle when joined. Make another drawing if you can, I still don't really see what you are trying to show us.

Here, I did a quick 3d drawing in autocad that shows both a merge style 2 into 1 and the nozzle style that John is talking about.

In the left one, you will see the divider section (D shaped piece) were the merge begins which makes it the nozzle idea that John is refering to where as in the right one, it is just your basic style 2 into 1 merge.

Hope this helps everyone understand the idea a bit easier.

Ok, I get it now. So it does get smaller just before the merge? Does this actually work or are you in the R&D phase?

The two merge designs I have made are splayed style instead of the parallel style as above but I guess it doesn't matter reallly.

The design program, PipeMax, do you input engine parameters and then it gives you dimensions and where power is improved etc.?

Here, I did a quick 3d drawing in autocad that shows both a merge style 2 into 1 and the nozzle style that John is talking about.

In the left one you will see the divider section (D shaped piece) were the merge begins which makes it the nozzle idea that John is refering to, where as in the right one it is just your basic style 2 into 1 merge.

Hope this helps everyone understand the idea a bit easier.

Chris, THANK YOU, nice work EXCEPT... your example shows an exagerated extention of the middle divider. I would lean more toward extending only as far as the middle "point" where your cutaway on the top ends.

Now, to repeat and add to my previous thoughts...

The combined volume (or cross section area) of each of the 2 feed legs is MORE than the volume or cross section area of the single outlet leg. The ONLY way for the gases to make this transition is to accelerate.

That said the collector volume on a standard merge collector is MORE than the volume of the outlet pipe and usually more than the combined volume of the feed legs.

So, to follow, the gases move from each feed leg and enter the collector area.

When this happens on a standard merge collector the gas speed both drops and has some confusion on direction. It must then accelerate again to exit the outlet pipe.

With the nozzle the gases accelerate slightly at the end of each feed pipe. The collector volume is smaller than a merge style and the extended center divider directs the flow more accurately into the outlet pipe.

Furthermore on most highly developed merge collectors there is a venturi that continues to restrict and accelerate the gasses as they pass from the collector to the outlet pipe. There is of course an energy requirement to accelerate these gases and it comes as a slight restriction to flow. STILL, the best merge collectors tend to create a stonger overall power band and even make at least equal peak power and ususally more peak power. Obviously some restriction to create this velocity is GOOD for power. Why would take too long to describe (in this post) but noting that it is a fact is worthy for this discussion.

Both designs, merge and nozzle, force the gasses to accelerate. The difference is the nozzle does it before the collector where the merge reduces speed in the collector only to accelerate it in the outlet or even more so in the venturi after the collector. The nozzle can do both without loosing anything in the collector. GREAT street design and probably race design as well.

BTW, this is the ONLY place I have devulged this concept and probably the ONLY place you can find this information on line. Cheers!

Ok, I get it now. So it does get smaller just before the merge? Does this actually work or are you in the R&D phase?

Yes, slightly smaller, but as described above this has a purpose and is in keeping with what happens anyway it just does it sooner and avoids the drop. As far as R&D it is used in the stock Lexus Y pipe which is what got me thinking about WHY it worked so well in what looked like a restriction. Do NOT pre-JUDGE. Look at results and determine WHY! That said the stock pipe can definitely be improved and is why I took the idea and combined it with the proven merge design.

The two merge designs I have made are splayed style instead of the parallel style as above but I guess it doesn't matter reallly.

The above is parallel and then becomes splayed. The pipes prior to the merge are WAY less important than the merge itself. Some fabricators create collectors using the bends themselves but I do not like that as it is directing the gases into a collision rather than moving the velocity into the same direction.

The design program, PipeMax, do you input engine parameters and then it gives you dimensions and where power is improved etc.?

PipeMax has 20 specific data imputs for each calculation with MANY sub-variables within each data point. It also has the ability to calculate based on application including race, street strip or oem type applications. It also calculates secondary systems as well as X, Y or H locations. So much data for design work that for $40 you would be brain dead to miss this if you are designing anything worth building.

Good info. Please don't confuse my comments or misunderstandings with not believing you. Exhaust is definately one category that almost every idea I had prior to testing worked or sounded completely different than expected.

The area I have been worried about as I have designed my two systems is the collector area and how the merge is supposed to step up in size. Using the nozzle design, how large is the collector and piping that exits and goes to the muffler/tailpipe?

1- 1 5/8"OD, 49" long before merge. The muffler needs to mount within inches of the end of the merge and I'd like for it to be 1 3/4"OD. This is supposed to give me the largest area under torque curve. 1360cc V-twin, 5,000rpm metric cruiser.

2- 2"OD, 23" long before merge. 24" to 30" long mid/tail pipe before the muffler. This is supposed to give me the best overall performance. 996cc L-twin, 10,500rpm sportbike.

Good info. Please don't confuse my comments or misunderstandings with not believing you. Exhaust is definately one category that almost every idea I had prior to testing worked or sounded completely different than expected.

The area I have been worried about as I have designed my two systems is the collector area and how the merge is supposed to step up in size. Using the nozzle design, how large is the collector and piping that exits and goes to the muffler/tailpipe?

1- 1 5/8"OD, 49" long before merge. The muffler needs to mount within inches of the end of the merge and I'd like for it to be 1 3/4"OD. This is supposed to give me the largest area under torque curve. 1360cc V-twin, 5,000rpm metric cruiser.

2- 2"OD, 23" long before merge. 24" to 30" long mid/tail pipe before the muffler. This is supposed to give me the best overall performance. 996cc L-twin, 10,500rpm sportbike.

Muffler length needs to be included in total system length. The nozzle design does not change the secondary pipe size. Running PipeMax gave me curious collector diameters so I have sent a question to the forum that may give the quickest answer and I will try to answer you after that.

If you go to the PipeMax link I provided above and scroll down to the engine specification imput screenshot you can see the requirements for calculations. If you can provide those data points I will run it for you.

Turbulence is a real killer.

If you cut the "nozzle cut" on the two pipes that are merging they won't sit flush to each other except at the tip. Is it better to make the typical merge cut and then weld in the "nozzle divider" piece? Or do you just flatten the squared off edge so they sit flush?

The way that John is talking it that you flatten the squared off edge so that the sit flat.

I've been thinking about it and if I get around to doing some sometime for something, I would cut them just as if I were making regular merge units, then take and cut the "D" section out of s piece of 16ga flat sheet and grind a 1/32" releaf in each pipe thus giving a 1/16" releaf area for the "D" section and allowing the pipe to sit flat againest eachother and the "D" piece.

The way that John is talking it that you flatten the squared off edge so that the sit flat.

I've been thinking about it and if I get around to doing some sometime for something, I would cut them just as if I were making regular merge units, then take and cut the "D" section out of s piece of 16ga flat sheet and grind a 1/32" releaf in each pipe thus giving a 1/16" releaf area for the "D" section and allowing the pipe to sit flat againest eachother and the "D" piece.

Chris, that is exactly the way I made them. Grinding the reliefs was a pain in the arse. I have not actually made any with the above flattening suggestion so either way should work. My next chance will be flattening for a number of reasons including strength and anti-reversion shape. Unfortunately I do not have shop access at the moment. I did the original work with a cheapo bandsaw and bench mount grinder. Grinding is messy and smokey

Lexus forms very nice D ends that stretch the 50mm pipe to half a 60mm D shape. Lexus swages the 60mm to go over the two back to back D pipe ends and welds up the assembly. Works nicely and is STRONG. I see using the merge collector design as superior and there are good calculations for pipe sizing already available not to mention factory style would be very difficult to copy without specific metal working equipment.