Normal running coolant temperature.

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Bushwhacker

Hi all, finally finished the 1UZ install into my '91 Hilux Surf.
engine1.jpgI have an adjustable switch for the electric cooling fan but I've no idea what the normal running temp is to set it correctly, anyone have any idea?
At the moment I've set it to come on at 90 degrees
Thanks.
truck3.jpg

About what temp should ya start to be getting worried with theses motors mines running about 87-88 on the road and at lights but i've got 2 outta my my 4 fans running

I personally keep mine under 100degC.
I know of folks who have taken theirs higher but I'm not comfortable with that.

That said I've driven for hours with mine on 96-98degC.

I believe they should be running ~85degC during average ambient temps and cruise conditions.

I believe they should be running ~85degC during average ambient temps and cruise conditions.

Ah, thats sounds about right. I've set mine to 90 and fitted a blue LED in the dash wire into the fan to tell me when it's running or not.
It seems to be coming on quite a lot so I think I'll try setting it at 98.

My fans are set to turn on/off at about 90 degs.
I have had mine up to 110 degs a few times early on when I was running the stock radiator. I'd only start to worry once it hit 105 degs.
These days with the setup I have its near impossible to get it over 98deg.

Just to update this thread, I've fitted an auxillary temp gauge and noticed the engine is running at 78C at a constant 60mph, rising to about 93C if stationary in traffic for more than four minutes by which time the 16" pusher fan kicks in. The fab switches off at about 85C

I'm using the original 2.4 auto, diesel radiator and the outside temps at the time of testing was 35C.

What temperature is the thermostat?
Toyota uses an 82degC thermostat, which doesn't open until 82degC, which means the temp should rarely go below 82deg, and not for long if it does.

ON @ 92C, OFF @ 87C ...

This is pretty much it. most jap factory fan switches turn the fan on at 92 and shut down at 88.Which is also how the fan ECU does things on those so equipt with hydraulic fans.

But here's my set up.. 1990 Hilux Surf with ex SC400 1UZ, Standard TD Surf Radiator and 16 inch thermo fan (flaming expensive "slim" 3500CFM unit) wired to fuel pump relay (runs full time) . Surf factory front mount 10 inch fan (aka A/C fan on front mount A/C models) with sender fitted where sensor for fan ecu once lived. In Perths' sometimes over 40 days and in traffic the engine coolant temp will not go over 88 degrees C and aux fan has never switched in.

I'm just lazy, I should put a fan switch in for the main fan or a "Brain box in" to turn it off when vehicle speed exceeds 50kph. but everything is behaving so "if it aint broke.. don't fix it"

Temp gauge or temp switch?

If you mean switch then Tridon make replacements.

yer the switch. need to change from 70-80 to 85-95

here is more info. i am only running below 80 degress atm and i seem to be using alto more fuel then others. i amwondering how to change the fan settings so they come on later around the 90-95 range