New V12 Daily Driver (Ferrari 550 Maranello)

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
I love this project!

BTW, I know why your 1uz project is stalled, Daily driver? Right, for about 1 day. LOL

Hehe, me too, but you'd think with 2-3 projects going, there would never be any "dead" time, but it seems to work just the opposite.

Everything seems to come to a halt at the same time, and what's worse, they all seem to peak and need funding at the same time.....

Yep can relate to that !!
My engine short block was built this time last year..
I'm STILL waiting for the heads to be assembled !!!

It's Alive!

Josh called after getting all the fluids in the motor and firing it for the first time. Said the Larini X-pipe sounds really mean, and gives the exhaust note a fuller and deeper midrange. (In post 35 (with the before video) I remarked that the idle sounded more aggressive than the midrange, so perhaps this mod has given the midrange some authority.)

Tomorrow he'll spend the day driving it and shaking it down, then will put it back on his lift for any final tweaks, pull the wheels to do the Ferrari lettering on the calipers, and let them dry overnight, then will put the wheels back on early Monday, load it on the trailer, and head for Houston.

Should have some video/audio tomorrow.

Steve, most of the work so far was just preventive maintenance, but we did do a few suspension tweaks.

We lowered the car about 3/4" and put 15mm spacers on the rear wheels to give it a more aggressive stance, but we left the swaybars and springs alone for the moment. I may go to a stiffer rear sway bar as per the factory's "Fiorano Handling Package", but I doubt if I'll put stiffer springs on it.

The injectors were pulled and sent to Kinsler's to be cleaned and flowed, and the fuel filters replaced, all the systems were flushed and fluids replaced, plus new coolant hoses, and new SS braided brake hoses were put on.

Once I get it here in TX, and get it inspected and titled, I may go ahead and have downpipes installed. Some Ferrari V8's have had documented exhaust valve damage from pieces of their cats' ceramic substrates breaking loose and getting sucked back into the engine during valve overlap. This is an expensive little surprise to fix, so the cats may soon be history, and of course a nice side benefit is that it'll uncork a bit of power.

I'm also thinking I'd like to convert the ignition from its twin, six tower coilpack system to full COP, which Ferrari did on the later model 575 Maranello. It'll still be waste spark, but I can eliminate the secondary wires, which, when one fails, all six on that side must be replaced, since Ferrari made each side up as a potted assembly. So replacing a single failed secondary wire costs $900 in parts! I've got to 'scope the ignition when it gets here and see if it'll be a clean mod with the existing EMS. This Motronic M5.2 system has run COP's on Porsche Boxsters, so I'm pretty sure it'll work.

Although it's not performance per se, I'll eventually want to retrofit some xenon projectors to the car. And lastly, I'll probably update the sound system. It's 10 years old and I'm sure the speaker suspensions are dry rotted like the Supra's were. This isn't a priority, however, as I want to spend some time listening to the engine's music!

Last edited:
Josh pronounced the clutch to be a "streetable" high performance clutch. The pedal effort feels no different than stock, and unfortunately, the engagement is definitely harsher than stock, but it is a metallic lined clutch after all.

So it didn't meet the objectives that we were promised, which I've come to expect from clutch vendors, but the bright spot is that it isn't as harsh as a race clutch, and at least the pedal isn't heavier than stock.

Also, it now doesn't need anywhere near the full slave travel for engagement/disengagement, so I may experiment with sleeving a master cylinder to adjust the hydraulic ratio and the pedal effort. I've done this in the past on the Supra with good results.

And finally, here's a pic of one of the calipers with the Ferrari lettering applied, and set up to dry for the night:

Attachments

• Finished Caliper 001.jpg
    Finished Caliper 001.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
“Santa” arrived yesterday, a couple of days early, and towing a little red package for me:

IMG_0211Custom.jpg

This is Josh Hill of Exotic Car Specialties in Sterling, VA; 28 years old, and one of the finest young automotive technicians I’ve ever had the pleasure of working with:

IMG_0223Custom.jpg

His finished work:

IMG_0216Custom.jpg

Some people wait a lifetime for this moment:

IMG_2357Custom.jpg

Of course, I couldn’t leave well enough alone; I felt the new clutch was engaging too high on the pedal, so I’m adjusting it:

IMG_2368Custom.jpg

The Larini X-pipe made quite a difference in the exhaust note. It now has a very loud burble at idle, then it changes to that unmistakable Ferrari V12 staccato under acceleration. 1st & 2nd are too short for this prancing stallion to stretch its legs, and are really only good for incinerating expensive rubber. Third is satisfyingly long enough to get 5 seconds or so of good engine noise, plus some real warp level acceleration.

I've done a number of 0-100 runs in the Supra, and although triple digits arrive pretty quickly, the rear end is constantly breaking loose and trying to pass you up, the 2JZ is sounding like a very PO’d 600lb hornet in front of you, and all your senses are fully occupied just trying to keep the car planted and under control.

With the Maranello, I’m amazed at how subdued the car is from 0-100. It squats a little, then just takes off like a cruise missile. All it asks is that you turn it loose, pay attention to where you're going, and give it some more gear when it's time. You first realise it's time to change when you hear it misfiring and look down at the tach and realise you're at 7500 RPM and you’re bouncing off the rev limiter. Thank God for that rev limiter 'cause the sound of this motor above 7K is more addictive than crack.

But, there’s just no drama with this car like there is with the Supra.

I'll get some audio & video today.

Last edited:
Sean, yea, I was pretty stoked :D I went to bed around 10:30 after giving everybody and the dog a ride in the car, but was back up at 2 AM, made myself a couple cups of coffee, then went out in the garage and just sat & enjoyed looking at her for a few hours. And yes, it's been lowered 1.25".

And BTW, this OS Giken triple disc metallic setup is a real pussycat compared to that TRD Twin Disc in my Supra. What I've found so far is that the pedal effort is noticeably lighter than the OEM clutch was, plus it is possible to slip it if you have to, but the big 5.5 V12 has more than enough torque and the flywheel is still heavy enough that you can let it out without any revving, and the car just moves off. A bit jerky to be sure, but you can get it rolling this way. The smoothest launches I've found are with a little blip of rev, then simultaneously rolling in with the clutch. The blip is just enough to cause the clutch to engage smoothly instead of grab, so that gets us going with a minimum amount of drama, but I still wouldn't risk it with a hot cup of Starbucks in my lap. Can't do it consistently just yet 'cause the engagement point is shifting around a bit.

Here's the whole shopping list of work that was done:

• Powdercoat brake calipers
• New SS braided brake hoses
• Scuderia shields
• Remove & replace exhaust midpipe & resonator w/Larini X pipe
• Replace clutch/flywheel/release bearing with new OS Giken triple disc setup
• Motor flush & oil + filter change (with oil analysis from Blackstone Labs)
• Gearbox flush & fill (with oil analysis)
• Coolant flush & fill
• P/S flush & fill + grease rack
• Injectors cleaned and tested @ Kinsler + fuel filters replaced
• Adjust spring perches and lower car 1.00” to 1.25”
• 15mm H&R rear wheel spacers
• Performance 4 wheel alignment
• Scuderia Rampante Innovations coolant hose kit
• Fix rock dings & respray hood + replace gas struts
• Recover driver's seat & replace passenger air bag cover

Last edited:
VERY nice!!! :D:D:D:cool:

Hope to see it in person.

BTW, all that expensive work and no flush of the brakes?

Sorry if this will now drive you nuts till you get that done.

VERY nice!!! :D:D:D:cool:

Hope to see it in person.

BTW, all that expensive work and no flush of the brakes?

Sorry if this will now drive you nuts till you get that done.

Hehehe, no John, a full flush of the brakes, ABS & traction control was done. I must have missed putting it on the shopping list, though.

Looking forward to seeing you, and we'll take it out & thrash it a bit. I've got a supercharger pulley on its way, so I'll see if Dennis can build a hub adapter for it and if so, we should be pretty close to ready to run that V8.

Not a bad sight when opening the garage door! :D

One of the other Ferrari owners has an F40, an F50, a 512BBi and a Mosler in his stable. Don't know what he does for a living, but he must do it very well!

Attachments

• IMG_2377 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_2377 (Custom).JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 16
LOL i don't reckon you're doing too bad either John :)

Just a normal working stiff Justen :). BUT, all five kids are out on their own finally, the house is paid for and we don't have any other debt, so wifey & I are enjoying ourselves a bit, while we still have our health and mobility.

One of them is the Mrs shopping car ???
Fast food ... Lol...

LOL, fast food indeed; we took it on a grocery shopping trip yesterday.

Then I found a large parking lot and let wifey practice her launches and driving it. She did really well, and only stalled it a couple of times. She drove it home and did well right up to arrival at the house where she forgot to put the clutch in while coming to a stop and killed it. But generally I was really proud of her.

I'm sure she's going to get the first ticket in it though; that lady has a lead foot! She was giving me some payback 'cause the first day with her in it I chirped the tires and "may" have let the rear end get a bit loose going around a round about in our neighborhood. She insists I drifted around the round about, but I think she exaggerates a bit..... :)

Last edited: