New to this forum...

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

tigdim

Like the title says I am new to this forum, and I am new to Lexus v8s also.

I bought a 86 Toyota corolla AE86 in march and have been reading and planing to make it into a Daily driven, auto-x and track car. I just finished one plan and parts list for swapping a JDM 20v Blacktop into the car but now I decided GO BIG or GO HOME!!! SO now I am researching a 1uz swap into the AE86. My goal as of right now will be 300 hp at the wheels with a N/A 1uz. figuring 17% to 20% loss threw the drive train I am going to need 363-375 hp at the flywheel.

If you have any suggested post for me to start reading, post them up for me. Otherwise I will do my best to find them myself with the search option. (the biggest problem with the search option is I always get side tracked and never end up reading about what i set out to do...):kabong:

The other night I was reading as a guessed and spent the hole night reading about Supra swaps. :banghead:

Anyway I am here and I am learning...

Like the title says I am new to this forum, and I am new to Lexus v8s also.

I bought a 86 Toyota corolla AE86 in march and have been reading and planing to make it into a Daily driven, auto-x and track car. I just finished one plan and parts list for swapping a JDM 20v Blacktop into the car but now I decided GO BIG or GO HOME!!! SO now I am researching a 1uz swap into the AE86. My goal as of right now will be 300 hp at the wheels with a N/A 1uz. figuring 17% to 20% loss threw the drive train I am going to need 363-375 hp at the flywheel.

If you have any suggested post for me to start reading, post them up for me. Otherwise I will do my best to find them myself with the search option. (the biggest problem with the search option is I always get side tracked and never end up reading about what i set out to do...):kabong:

The other night I was reading as a guessed and spent the hole night reading about Supra swaps. :banghead:

Anyway I am here and I am learning...

Welcome aboard.....

You've got a good platform to start with for what you want to do... The AE86 cars make for pretty good auto-X and track day cars form what I've seen (im more an rx7 person when it comes to track day and auto-X cars)...

One thing to not is that your estimated 17 to 20% loss is to high.... regardless of what you read on the net, drivetrains do not loose that much, especially manual trans drivetrains... Its more along the lines of 10 to 12% from what I have tested on several different cars at different times for rear drive manual trans setups.... Auto trans cars do tend to loose a bit more due to slippage with in the trans itself (more in the neighborhood of 14 to 16%.

If you were to loose 17 to 20%, a 500hp engine would boil the fluid in the trans and or diff with in a quarter mile drag race from all the heat that was being generated from all the friction that would need to be generated to loose that much HP and we dont see that happen ever........

Just some food for thought....

Anyone that wants to argue this point, all I can say is go chassis dyno your car, then yank the engine out and bolt it up to an engine dyno with the dyno cell condition the same or close to what the conditions were when on the chassis dyno and see what the differance is, I've done this several time and every time the loose was between 10 and 12%

Good luck with your project..

im more an rx7 person when it comes to track day and auto-X cars...

cjsupra90: I have owned two 7's both 87's (one n/a and one TII). I built the TIIs suspension up really well. I loved that car but when I moved back from Germany (Military) I decided I did not want a car that I was used to cruising at 100+ MPH. Might be bad for my driving record. I think it was a good choice. I got a warning doing 95mph in a 65 in Nebraska. Funny thing was I was driving a Ford ranger and the cop told me he did not think a stock ranger like mine would go that fast.

Jake.. I checked out your tread before I even joined this forum.

cjsupra90: I have owned two 7's both 87's (one n/a and one TII). I built the TIIs suspension up really well. I loved that car but when I moved back from Germany (Military) I decided I did not want a car that I was used to cruising at 100+ MPH. Might be bad for my driving record. I think it was a good choice. I got a warning doing 95mph in a 65 in Nebraska. Funny thing was I was driving a Ford ranger and the cop told me he did not think a stock ranger like mine would go that fast.

Jake.. I checked out your tread before I even joined this forum.

Lol, Im surprised that a stock ranger would go that fast too....

I loved all my 7's. I've had all 3 gen's, an 85, an 87, and a 93. All three were daily drivers or well I daily drove them, but they were built for the track... Girls didn't seem to like them to much.... They all loved the 93 when they say it, but once they went for a ride, they didn't like it too much anymore except for one, and I almost married her......

Welcome to the forum; as you've already seen, we're a fairly friendly bunch of gearheads, and we enjoy wrenching and talking about our rides and their V8's.

Pay attention to the guys from Oz and NZ as the 1UZ motor has been very popular in those countries longer than it has here in the USA. A lot of the go fast parts for these motors, such as cams, rods, superchargers and manifolds were developed there, and some stuff is still only available from there.

cribbj, Thanks for the welcome.

as for the 1uz not being that popular here in the states I don't understand it I have a friend who is a Toyota/Lexus mechanic and he keeps telling me 2uz is the way to go... "1u is a waist of time." from what I have been reading the 1u is exactly what i need. Lightweight and good reliable power!

One of my staff is working on a 1uz in a AE85 which of coarse is the same shell. They fit nicely with more room than I expected. I nornally work on hiace and hilux and the AE has more room. I am wanting to take a pattern off the mounts. Cheers

cribbj, Thanks for the welcome.

as for the 1uz not being that popular here in the states I don't understand it I have a friend who is a Toyota/Lexus mechanic and he keeps telling me 2uz is the way to go... "1u is a waist of time." from what I have been reading the 1u is exactly what i need. Lightweight and good reliable power!

a 1u is a waste of time, its only 600cc, but good luck finding one, they are rare, now a 1uz on the other hand would be your best bet.

Different strokes I suppose, but I'm with you - I much prefer the light weight of the 1UZ over the 2UZ, and am not convinced, for the levels of power most of us will run, that the 2UZ offers any benefits for the additional 80lbs of pig iron it brings to the table (although the additional 0.7 litres would be nice to have in some cases!)

Certainly for an AE86, or other lightweight NA project, the 1UZ should be a far better choice than the 2UZ.

One can always say there's something better.. But I could debate with him BIG TIME why he says that ?? Keep in mind we are thinking of an engine with some mods.. N.Z have a stock car race there and the 1UZ is very popular. The reason why most top end performance parts come from there. Especially billet cams.. Even if they are forged in U.S..
Seems slow but track is well watered.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCucDcp8IzM
Some other popular engines are the Chrysler6 cyl Hemi.. Fords sohc 6, and V8 which makes the most power with over 500 h.p.. 1uz..I have heard makes 480 h.p..With engines worth over $10k N.Z.. All have to be UNDER 4.0 and run "SINGLE" carb..

As Cribbj stated the additional weight might not be beneficial for your little car. There is another portion too.

Option 1:
You can use 3uzfe lower (block) and 1uzfe upper to gain additional cubic, but the gain is minimum and not worth the money.

Option 2:
Increase compresssion from 10:1 to 11:1 and they will gain at least 30-40 bhp

Option 3:
Stroker with high compression pistons.