NEW REBUILD ENGINE W/ BIGGER TURBO

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Looks good steve, whats your daily boost looking like once complete? 14? 18? Your SC is gunna scream dude lol nice one. I was thinking about the lower comp cometics but opted for the regular comp, was thinking it would hurt my low end. Props tho on rebuilding the bugger on a proper engine stand!!! To hell with leaving the block still bolted up lol.

you do know that a higher stall converter creates more heat? I'd go with a pretty big cooler, if not 2. Most run the cooler in line with the factory cooler, but in front of the radiator.
You're perfectly right. I could feel the heat coming from the transmission and transferring to the carpet. It gets a little bit warmer than normal with the high stall TQ. I run the extra cooler on the passenger side in front of the front wheel but inside the splash guard. It gets full cool air that way. I have the intercooler in the front so the tranny cooler will be blocked if I put it in front of the radiator.

Sean,
I would run 15 psi max. I believe the engine can handle a little bit more with my set up, but the tranny will soon be gone if it's not upgraded.

Attachments

• Im001184.jpg
    Im001184.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 257
It sounds like it's gonna be a fun set up. I wish you luck with your project.
I had stock pistons fail just over 12 PSI. I was running stock timming. probably not the smartest move.
The stock trans will not hold 400hp. They fail about 350 ft-lbs
I'm sure the trans cooler will help, but not for long. plan a trans rebuild into your budget.
Again good luck with the SC. :)

It sounds like it's gonna be a fun set up. I wish you luck with your project.
I had stock pistons fail just over 12 PSI. I was running stock timming. probably not the smartest move.
The stock trans will not hold 400hp. They fail about 350 ft-lbs
I'm sure the trans cooler will help, but not for long. plan a trans rebuild into your budget.
Again good luck with the SC. :)
Thanks for your words. Did you have thicker head gaskets at that time? I was told the stock tranny can't hold up as much, so I'll look into it soon.

Hey steve when you previously ran 9psi on stock ecu + injectors how did she run? I want to squeeze 2psi more out of mine from 7psi. I have a walbro 190 ( I know it's small lol but thought 250lph was too big ) sitting in my garage and didn't know if the stock injectors + fuel requirements would be maxed out. I hear bad things about 100% injector duty. How's the rebuild coming?

**"If I remember correctly"**
I ran a completely stock motor on stock timing with a fuel pressure regulator & turned up fuel pressure. At 10psi I melted a stock piston.

I then ran forged 8.5:1 piston, 16 fuel injectors, & stock timing. At 16-17psi I melted a forged piston, and head gasket.
The stock trans failed for me at 7PSI which was 370 rear torque i believe. Supra guys claim 325-350 rear torque is the danger point on the stock trans.

yeah i'm getting around 400rw/tq on my stock tranny, original never been rebuilt with 210,000 miles at 7psi for about 6 months, keep crossing my fingers??? hehe

Hey steve when you previously ran 9psi on stock ecu + injectors how did she run? I want to squeeze 2psi more out of mine from 7psi. I have a walbro 190 ( I know it's small lol but thought 250lph was too big ) sitting in my garage and didn't know if the stock injectors + fuel requirements would be maxed out. I hear bad things about 100% injector duty. How's the rebuild coming?
My car ran 9 psi really good. It's very responsive and powerful. It ran like a big NA engine. You'll probably run into stuck fuel pump with your 190 lph if you run more than 7 psi. You can check for the Walbro fuel pump specifications here: http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/html/fpspecs.html. At 9 psi, I'm walking on a thin line so I don't recommend anyone to do it. Remember that you have ground off the heads and are running stock height compression, that means you might raise the compression and you're also walking on thin air. The rebuild is pretty much 70% done. It's just a PITA to put all the sensors and plugs in the correct places. The most nasty job is to swap the oil pan sections over to this newer engine.

**"If I remember correctly"**
I ran a completely stock motor on stock timing with a fuel pressure regulator & turned up fuel pressure. At 10psi I melted a stock piston.

I then ran forged 8.5:1 piston, 16 fuel injectors, & stock timing. At 16-17psi I melted a forged piston, and head gasket.
The stock trans failed for me at 7PSI which was 370 rear torque i believe. Supra guys claim 325-350 rear torque is the danger point on the stock trans.
I think there's nothing unusual result with your setup at 10 psi. The piston had to go with that setup for sure. I'd say 8 psi is safe and 9 psi is marginal.

I always worry about the timing if going over 9 psi on any car doesn't matter if the car has a so-called bullet proof internals. The piston always goes first. I'd say 12 psi is marginal for stock timing. I'll see if I can install the MSD timing controller on this 1UZ. It seems no one has done it before. I don't want to spend thousands of $$$ on the stand alone ECU with complicated tuning. I'll add 2 extra injectors and perhaps the MSD timing controller that can retard up to 15 degree. This is what I'm looking for.

Steve - You will need 2 of those to control each side. I thought about it, but it adds up to around $500 (which makes you wonder about a different engine management), unless you buy used.

Steve - You will need 2 of those to control each side. I thought about it, but it adds up to around $500 (which makes you wonder about a different engine management), unless you buy used.
You're right. The cheapest price is $228/each at http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MSD%2D8762&N=700+115&autoview=sku. I hope the MSD ignition box (only 1 is required) isn't needed to run these controllers, otherwise, the whole system costs around $750 easily. Ouch!.

Attachments

• DSCF6967.jpg
    DSCF6967.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 10
I installed an MSD on a 92 Toyota, and the signal that the MSD intercepts is also used by the ECU to fire the injectors. The MSD weakened the signal to the point that the ECU didn't see it, and stopped firing the injectors. (The car stopped running) I'm assuming that this will happen with the SC also, but I haven't tried it. I had to install an additional pickup for the MSD to see. this was kind of a pain in the @$$. again as “redphoenix” said X2.
“Chrisman” has a buddy who is an electrical engineer. (I think he drives electric trains) LOL ok not funny) he has built a timing controller which will work with the SC, and basically any motor. it is running on a Honda Accord, and will be what I'm gonna use on my SC. as soon as more tests are done I'm sure he'll post about it.

I installed an MSD on a 92 Toyota, and the signal that the MSD intercepts is also used by the ECU to fire the injectors. The MSD weakened the signal to the point that the ECU didn't see it, and stopped firing the injectors. (The car stopped running) I'm assuming that this will happen with the SC also, but I haven't tried it. I had to install an additional pickup for the MSD to see. this was kind of a pain in the @$$. again as “redphoenix” said X2.
“Chrisman” has a buddy who is an electrical engineer. (I think he drives electric trains) LOL ok not funny) he has built a timing controller which will work with the SC, and basically any motor. it is running on a Honda Accord, and will be what I'm gonna use on my SC. as soon as more tests are done I'm sure he'll post about it.
I've been running the MSD system on Honda engines without problems. That's why I'd like to try it on the SC.

If Chrisman could build the timing controller for the SC, oh man, I'm sure a lot of us will place an order.

I've been running the MSD system on Honda engines without problems. That's why I'd like to try it on the SC.

If Chrisman could build the timing controller for the SC, oh man, I'm sure a lot of us will place an order.

When I called MSD about the problem, they knew right away that the signal sharing made it to weak to run, and that I had to use another pick-up. After the second pick-up it ran great.

Chris (Chrisman) and Phil have the timming controler working. It retards per PSI of boost, 2 NO2 retards, Launch retard to build boost off the line. 2 window swicthes, and can drive an additional 1 through 10 or 12 fuel injectors.
They tried to build one device that can take a NA motor, and turn it into a boosted motor on just one product.
So far it works really well, but if you look at it, it's a mess of wiring.
Phil just had the second set of circuit boards made up, and they are now trying to make a presentable device. I'm sure he'll talk about it when it's more user friendly.

Attachments

• Im001192.jpg
    Im001192.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 202
An update!!! I got the engine in all by myself, which is a PITA. However, I'll still need to finish plugging and putting the turbo on. I never had a chance to take a picture of the turbo manifold so here it is. The complete turbo system can be installed with the engine in the car. The welding doesn't look very nice, but it's a workhorse and never leaked at all after 4 months of boosting crazy. I didn't go through any welding class. DIY...LOL.

Ryan,
If you see in the second picture, the 145 amp alternator from Lextreme fits perfectly in stock location. I strongly believe it has a core rebuilt, but the same stock housing.

You cannot beat a good ECU and tune!!
Yep..yep..That's why I'm still deciding which piggy back ECU to use. I'll be using 8 460cc/min fuel injectors with a slight increase in fuel pressure. I'm looking at the Greddy Ultimate and the Split Second, either which can be used to tune the fuel and timing. I still need to find out who can tune them in my local area.

This is a common problem on a lot of cars.... How long ago was this??? My reason for asking is that I am surprised that MSD recomended the route of an additional pick up for the MSD. They have whats called tach adapters specifically for this.... I had the same issue on my supra years ago before I went full standalone and used a MSD 8910 tach adapter wired in and solved the issue all together.....

I do know a way that you can get away with one MSD unit on 1uz and at the same time use the factory dizzy's but create a waste spark set up and this also allows you to not have to cris-cross some of the high tension leads, basically the 4 on the left bank dizzy go to the 4 left bank cylinders and same for the right side.....This would just requier an adapter ring to allow for phasing the rotor on one of the dizzy's 45* (preferablly the Right bank, but doesn't matter).