New Motec launch

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

elliotaw

Just though I'd share this with you guys (I hope it's news....maybe some of you know more than I do).

I was at my regular car club meeting tonight held in Melbourne. I was chatting to one of the members there, who it turns out happens to work for Motec. He's one of the application engineers. We got onto the subject of my 1uz engine conversion..and he explained that motec was about to launch a new management system specifically designed to run the 1UZ. I cant remember exactly what the model number was going to be..this was all over a few quiet beers, but it will be something like M41UZ. He said it was already available and will be launched soon. He mentioned a reasonable price tag of around 1.5 grand (Australian), which to me sounds like a bargain for a Motec.

I asked if it would have individual control for the 8 injectors and he said that it wouldnt, but he said that was really no big deal....I've no idea either way. Anyone know about this new model ?

Elliot

Elliot, that sounds really interesting, but I can't imagine MoTeC not doing full SFI. Waste spark with only 4 coils, yes, but not doing sequential injection, hmmmm......

Is it possible there was a misunderstanding during the conversation?

Sounds like this is targetted at the early 1UZs, which have 2 banks of injection and 2 coils, which is perfect for the M4 box they have. That's probably why it's only 1.5 grand.

why is full sequential so important
doesnt it usually just make the idle better

if toyota can get the 1uz to idle so good with batch fire injectors then a motec with a good tuner shoud be the same
least if the price stays low then yr average people might be able to afford them

i did a haltech e8 the other day not bad ecu but when i asked about price
i could have got an autronic for same price which i am much more familiar with

anyway we need more good ecus for under 2000 bucks

why is full sequential so important doesnt it usually just make the idle better

if toyota can get the 1uz to idle so good with batch fire injectors then a motec with a good tuner shoud be the same, least if the price stays low then yr average people might be able to afford them

It's just an idiosyncrasy of mine; if a motor has 8 cylinders, I feel it ought to have 8 injector drivers and 8 coil drivers. Toyota spoiled us with the 2JZ-GTE OEM ECU which had 6 injector outputs, and 6 fully sequential coil outputs and full COP ignition. And they did this in 1993. Doing it any other way, 13 years later, is going backwards, IMO.

I realise in the real world, it won't make much difference in the way the motor runs.

anyway we need more good ecus for under 2000 bucks

Amen to that!

There is no substitute for sequential injection. For passing emmisions standards (which is going to be an issue in the near future) it is a must for the low to middle range loads.

Completely agree Kdog, however none of the standalones will ever be approved here in the USA for "normal" street use anyway, so it's a moot point whether they'll pass emissions.

Our regulations here are fast reaching the point where the test stations don't monitor and don't even care what's coming out the tail pipe, so long as there's no OBDII errors showing up during testing.

Since none of the standalones are OBDII compliant, they're rejected immediately, regardless how clean the tailpipe is.

Here is Australia (and the domain of standalone ecus) it is going to become necessary in the future to do an emmsions test if you have modified the engine management in any way. Passing the tests isn't that hard if you have a decent ECU and tuner.

I think the next generation of ECU's should solve your problem.
I would imagine (at least if i finished designing mine) that they should all have I2C I/O on them. Making an external control for OBDII output shouldn't be difficult.

kdog if u are interested give me a call regarding a job i got asked to do

it has to do regarding importing older *** cars to usa but the law wont allow them to be registered unless they have afew things fitted
sort of similar to obd2

but a car with obd1 or say a gtr skyline with an non odb2 ecu cannot be registered in the usa

i have to find or design a device with sensors and stuff so the car will be sort of up to spec with obd2 so it can get registered there

anyway its a long story and dont really want to give everything away here

so if u read this and are interested call me on
0415 904 947

Getting back to the Motec 1uz system. Heres what I got in an email from the guy at motec today :-

This ECU will run sequential injection but is designed for a 4 cylinder engine so only has 4 injector outputs. It will run the engine in group fire mode which means that the injectors are fired in four groups of 2 cylinders. This is how the Toyota factory ECU works and the factory wiring is laid out to suit. It has sufficient auxiliary outputs to run the idle stepper motor, fuel pump and cooling fan. Uses a DOS based ECU Manager program for configuration.

Does that sound any good ?

Elliot

The product detail has just been confirmed, the ECU is called the MLS and is based on the MoTeC M4. It will run a LS1 group fired injection + waste spark coils or it will run a 1UZ group fired injection 2 coils. The units are available now although we haven't done an official release yet, this will take a few days to sort out. An announcement will be made on the MoTeC web site www.motec.com.au .

Ross Buckingham
MoTeC Research Centre
Melbourne

The product detail has just been confirmed, the ECU is called the MLS and is based on the MoTeC M4. It will run a LS1 group fired injection + waste spark coils or it will run a 1UZ group fired injection 2 coils. The units are available now although we haven't done an official release yet, this will take a few days to sort out. An announcement will be made on the MoTeC web site www.motec.com.au .

Ross Buckingham
MoTeC Research Centre
Melbourne
Roscoe,
Welcome to our forum. Can you give us more information about your new unit? There are lots of owners would be interested.

The MoTeC MLS has been introduced to provide a cost effective engine management solution for a limited range of popular engines. The MLS is a derivative of the M4 ECU which has been designed to run a limited range of Chevrolet and Lexus/Toyota V8 engines. The ECU has a limited number of ref/sync modes to suit these engines which need to be wired to run injectors triggered in groups of 2 (Group Fire). The MLS has its own version of EMP software similar to that of the M4. For those who want to take a look the M4 software is available to download free of charge from the MoTeC website www.motec.com.au .
The MLS can be configured to run the Lexus/Toyota 1UZFE engine with twin distributors. Ignition outputs are limited to 2 with the remaining 3 Auxiliary outputs available to be used as required. These would typically be used for fuel pump and idle control with a spare output which could be used for an engine fan or turbo boost control. There is no Stepper Motor Idle Control so an air by-pass valve is required (a much better solution anyway if you ask me!)
In all other respects the MoTeC MLS functions in the same way as the MoTeC M4.
We expect to officially release the MLS next month but for those who can’t wait they are available now via your MoTeC Dealer, the first units have already been sent out. If anyone has any further questions feel free to contact [email protected] or post them on here and I will answer them for all of you to see.
Cheers!

Ok I need a price on this MLS system (U.S.). I'm SERIOUSLY considering this now. It's already going to be illegal as hell so I might as well make it tuneable. I'm calling MoTec. I need one as long as they include everything I need to do this and I can drive to high elevations without reprograming it.

If anyone has some advice I'm open to any comments.

Update: I emailed Motec specifically about the MLS system to get some details about what's included/what is needed. I haven't seen any mention about it on their website yet.