New guy that just want to say hello!!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

rwdfreak

Hi guys,

I've been considering joining this site for the last 2years and finally did the big jump. I might be new here, but not in the Toyota family and in forums community. I'm a member on Toyotanation (for my pick-up truck), Celica-gts (ideas for my Celica), supraquebec (info for dad's MKIII Supra and since my Celica shares 80% of the MKII parts it was on purpose) celicaquebec (big mistake, only FWD with no knowledge and only one word in their vocabulary: "3S-GTE")

I'm studying mechanical engineering and a DIY. What bring me here is what most of all other members wanted: swap a UZ into my baby.

But enough about words let the picture tell you the kind of guy I am.

HPIM2929.jpg

HPIM2933.jpg

Celicaenaction-1.jpg

triosar.jpg

HPIM2922.jpg

HPIM2920.jpg

101_2821.jpg

HPIM2937.jpg

HPIM2936.jpg

White RA65 Celica (1985)

This is the car I've been spending all extra money and time in the last 4 years. The car only has 82 000 miles and has never seen winter.
Mods: LSD 3.90 F-code rear end, all suspension components replaced with top of the line parts (Koni shocks, whiteline sway bars, GC coil-over, T3 camber plates, Superpro bushing and much more), 16 inch’s eagle alloy wheels and a good quality sound system. Factory engine has small upgrades: stage 2 crane cam, 2.25» custom exhausts piping and MKII AFM.

Black pick-up (1990), 185 000 miles

It's my daily driver. Recently repainted, but has a rusted out firewall and the underbody is almost like a Swiss cheese at some areas and others are like new. This is almost a second project car since I've spent hours and hours fixing it. I converted it from carb to EFI and did fair amount of rust fixing as well as normal maintenance.

Black MKIII supra turbo(1988)

Father's baby. Not many mods on it (except Cometic MHG and ARP head bolts, boost controller, Bosal cat back, K&N air filter), but this car has only 75 000miles and is in incredible condition. The 7M-GTE runs smoother than any other MKIII's I've ever seen.

Green LS400 (1991)

Father's daily driver. 140 000 miles runs great and doesn't require much maintenance. It's not the best winter car (in 10 inch of snow this heavy sedan is out of its element. Even with the TRAC system). The wheels are 16inch's found on MKIII supra's.

So for now I'm gonna have to catch up on the reading and look int he faq's, project write-up and use the search button and build myself a good project buildoff list.

Cheers

Welcome! That's a really nice GT-S Celica.

The MKII Supra is my 2nd choice to swap a 1UZ into. They're so light and agile, there's probably no need to FI the 1UZ to get good performance. I think it would really be fun to drop a high RPM NA screamer into one of those chassis.

I hope you find Lextreme to be a great place to hangout. There's lots of good people and technical expertise here.

p.s. My first choice is the MKIV Supra, as you can see in my sig

The MKII Supra is my 2nd choice to swap a 1UZ into. They're so light and agile, there's probably no need to FI the 1UZ to get good performance. I think it would really be fun to drop a high RPM NA screamer into one of those chassis.

Thanks.

For now my only goal is around 300hp crank. Weight is all that maters to me. Compared to one of my friend's 2003 mustang GT with mostly stock engine (cowl induction hood and K&N filter + magnaflow dual 2.5" exhaust + 3.90 diff with slick tires), my 1/4 would be in the mid to low 13's. This is more than enough for this car. If I get over this I'm gonna break drivetrain components and induce distortion in the chassis. This is a street driven car not a week end racer. I plan to use a 1989-1992 style LS400 engine, do a good rebuilt while doing minor upgrades (like custom dual 2.5" exhaust, ignition, fuel delivery system, intake piping and filter, etc)

I'd like to get a MKIV, but unfortunalty I'm still in school so my pockets are empty most of the time. Cool to see that you didn't stick with the 2JZ. This engine is strong, but waaayyyy too heavy and generates a lot of heat. Plus the factory twins are always in boost which makes the fuel economy bad and a single will generate more lag that fun. How is the handling with less weight in front?

300 at the crank will be a doddle with the UZ. They're really nice motors, and very light - I hung mine on a precision digital scale in my garage and it came in at 400 lbs, without any of the front belt driven accessories, or flywheel. That's loads lighter than the 2JZ.

My motor isn't in the car yet; it's just now being finished up with its supercharger, fuel injection, etc., and I hope to put it back on the engine dyno in mid February. If this goes well, it'll go in the car around March/April.

Which tranny do you have in that GT-S?

Bad ass man.

I just pulled a good clean W58 out of a Celica-Supra at a pick and pull yard. Sweet shifter as well lol.

But anyhow I am (in spring or early summer) putting the 1uz in my 77 GT RA24 Celica. It'll be pretty much awesome. But yeah I am also a ME student, right on dude. Next terms I am finally taking machining and the -plan- is to make a adapter plate to mate the 1uz to the W58. If I do do it (really relatively simple as long as the measurements are right) I will probably put hte CAD drawing on here for everyone else. I'll probably buy a flywheel though. Those are spendy to machine and I dont know what kind of treatment they are suppose to receive.

Same as all N/A Supra had (exept MKI): W58.

BTW, if you're interested, I have a used TRD short shifter for the W58 that came out of my car when we swapped in a built 2JZ and 6spd Getrag. It's "for" the MKIV Supra with the W58 and 2JZ-GE, but I would think a W58 is a W58?

Mostly CribbJ.

Around 89 they did one change, not even a tranny change at all as far as I know. There is a plate that sits between the two halves of the tranny. Yours is steel. They started that in around 89. Just gives the case some added strength to keep from twisting.

Earlier ones were aluminum.

Hmm Cribbj,

The tranny is really similar, but I'm afraid that the tail housing might not be exactly the same. IIRC the shifter sit further back in MKIV. How much do you want for it??? Pm me about it.

Kyle, I'm sure you gonna like fab. I did couple of courses and I was the programmer for couple of month at the company I work for. The hardess part is taking measurements and do your setup in the CAD. Depending on which CAM software you'll be using it's gonna go really fast. I wish you good luck for UZA24 project be sure I'm gonna pop in your tread for help or just for fun.

BTW if you need help for the design I'm offering my help. I did a 3 years tech program prior to the University. I'm in my third year and I'm also working for the Canadian Space agency (Kinda like Nasa in Canada but with less budget). I don't know everything, but I might be usefull.

I also have a spare complete R154 and W58 both in good shape. R154 need a new front bearing.

Which W58 bellhousing do you have? Mine was from a I6, 5mge I think. Dont remember. But I know for a few years they had them in the last of the RWD Celica's with a 22RE.

I would snag a R154 if I found one, you usually have to have a line on one though.

And what do you mean on CAD being the hard part? 2D CAD like this is a complete cake walk. The only thing I see that would be somewhat difficult is getting the measurements good.

RWD, you might want to edit your Profile Options. You currently have PM and Admin Emails turned off.

Curious????

No offense but what is all this hype and allure over these ancient 4 banger Supra's???...Yeah they are light in weight and possible good for a 1uz-fe swap but so is a Mini Cooper and Geo Metro, no?... It must be a low budget thing or a third world thing with these 1st generation Supra lovers... No pun intented, I just don't think much of the older Supra's as they look very old, no omenities to speak of, and performance speaking I am sure they don't handle or perform well. Actually I know for a fact they don't perform well in stock form and I would bet the stock drive train can't hold peanuts for horse power. You can't find one driving around in the States, however, you can find plenty at the junk yards...What's up??????? Upgrade fellas come on!!!!

I should get flamed for this post, oh well I must call it as I see it.......:reporter:

John, for those of us that love Supras, this is where it all began, and actually, the underpinnings of these cars are pretty impressive IMO.

They may not have all the sophistication of a MKIV, but they still had DOHC motors and fully independent suspension at all 4 corners, which isn't bad for a car that is approaching 25 years old.

And their light weight makes them a great candidate for a naturally aspirated UZ swap. Not tooo much torque or HP, but "just enough". I think a MKII Supra with a 250-300 HP NA 1UZ and a W58 box would be a great little road racer.

Another thing - the age of these cars works in our favor as far as emissions compliances go. You can probably do whatever you want with one of these and you wouldn't get a 2nd look from an emissions cop.

Thanks for response John...Well said....That is where the Supra platform began and I can agree with you on that...Seriously, what about the looks?????? No one in their right mind can say that is an awesome looking car today, no?...

Maybe I shouldn't be speaking like this about these older cars as mine is getting pretty old itself and out dated too...However, I compare my 1992 SC400 to new rides and it almost still offers everything a new car would offer.. Luxury, amenities, power, performance and that is why I still own it... I can't say the same about these older Supra's... I also feel I can speak about these cars in this tone because I actually owned a 1988 Supra for a about a year many moons ago..As I vagly recall it was, gutless, noisy, uncomfortable, falling apart, didn't handle well, didn't perform well, but offered good gas mileage and that's about it.. ...It was an automatic too...Boooo...

I absolutely love the 93-98 Supra TT's as you well know....Now those little beasts are still ripe for looks even in today standards in my opinion.... I just saw a black one the other night and tried to race with it..No race as the guy was not interested... It had FATTTT rims and lowprofile tires, the big rear wing, tint, perfect paint, etc..basically it was in showroom condition...A true eye catcher...

Supra's have never been 4cyl jibby. haha I6's all around.

Also---according to the wikipedia Supra page, the 2nd gen Supra Suspension was 'designed' by lotus. I dont know if it was just bought from lotus or designed specifically for this car, just mentioning.

Curious???? I should get flamed for this post, oh well I must call it as I see it.......:reporter:

I won't be a prick here and respect your choice.

There is not a big bunch of logical reasons why I put so much money and time on this car and why I don't feel I'll ever want to sell it. Same thing for any guy that own a 1967 Camaro, a 57 Chevy or a 1914 Ford T

It's not pretty, it's not fast, it will not hold over 300hp, it will not be stable over 140mph it is noisy and have bunch of little glitch in the way it runs. Cruise control worked bad from factory and A/C was not powerfull enough. Parts are hard to find from any part store, performance shop and even from the dealer as many of the OEM parts have been dicontinued.

Why do I like this car then? Well there no ABS, no air bag, no Trac. control. The body is light and precise, the suspension works fine, the balance is good. I like this car because it has what I think all newer car miss. It's a continuity of your body. The car is light the steering feel great the balance is just incredible. Honestly I should give you a ride. Even with the mostly stock 22re in it I bet I can kick your Soarer's ass on an autocross track. You'd be suprise to see the race pedigree of this car. Don't forget that Toyota first race car was a 1970 Celica. The 1982-1983-1984 Celica rally car was undefeated in Africa back then with the TTE project. Dan Gurney raced a 1981 Celica in GTO competition, 3rd gen Celica raced in GTU GTO's competition. In 1977 the LB Celica Gr5 was running like hell on the circuit. Don't forget that before the Supra and the Celica splitted, it was the priciest and finest body Toyota was selling.

Honestly LS400 steering and suspension feel so sloopy it scares me. Modern car are so heavy and equiped with all sort of electronic that alter the feeling. Except for the IS350 or IS-F is there any car you find apealing in the actual Toyota line up. They all handle like crap and are boring to drive. Plus my car is unique. Nobody else in the world have the same setup as mine. Whats fun in doing the same damn thing thousands of people have done before you?

Some people like modern stuff. New car, new technologie, new styles, ect. I like old cars and the way they drive. I'd better like to own a Camaro Z-28 1969 than a S2000 or a G37. I'd prefer to have a 959 Porsche than the new 911 Turbo. This is me I like old car and I like to be unique. I think that people shows their ignorance when they refuse to look at the past and admire all the great cars that heve been done. In that car I don't need to drive over 120mph to feel great, just a little snap on the clutch while cornering hard and BOOM!! the rear end snap I can hear the engine scream, I can feel the vibration of the driveline and for a few second it make me feel alive. It's not a daily driver, I only do 3000miles per year on it and most of the mileage is while going to meets around the Country. I like to feel the road, I like to drive this car not beeing driven by the electronics. I like to feel the road not what the drive by wire decide to make me feel.

RWD, you might want to edit your Profile Options. You currently have PM and Admin Emails turned off.

It should be fix now. I'm sorry I'm still a bit disoriented here.

Thanks for the support.

BTW I have no emission test. The only thing they want is to see a cat under the car and that it doesn't sound louder than factory (like those pigs have ever heard a Celica with factory exhaust system). If I get a ticket for it I'm gonna ask them to provide the decibel sheet of a 1985 Celica and prove mine is louder.

And yea the factory 22re suck. Its truck motor with a SOHC, crappy head design, too long intake runner and dumb EFI. Still not bad for 1985. Don't forget that at this time the American cars had trouble getting 150hp out of a 5.7 litter.

Also I was told Toyota bought some plans and project from Lotus when the British company was at the edge of bankruptcy

Which W58 bellhousing do you have? Mine was from a I6, 5mge I think. Dont remember. But I know for a few years they had them in the last of the RWD Celica's with a 22RE.

I would snag a R154 if I found one, you usually have to have a line on one though.

And what do you mean on CAD being the hard part? 2D CAD like this is a complete cake walk. The only thing I see that would be somewhat difficult is getting the measurements good.

Belhousing is from a 1985 Celica GT-S with a 22re (came out of the other white Celica in one of the pics)

Well with 3D CAM's you need to make the clamps, blank and any objects that could interfeer with the machine spindle and tools. You need to do one assembly for all the different setups you gonna have. Since it is a big piece of material and that you take a lot of material (the metal might warp) you will and up with at least 3 different setups. One for the holes, one for the countour and cutout and one to finish the holes (since you might need to do counterbore on both side and maybe face both side).