New guy here, with Flyhweel Questions

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

gt eunuch

Hey guys, new to the site, but not new to cars.

I have a 83' Celica that I am looking at putting this 1uz into. I have purchased a 1uz out of a 1993 LS400 with 90k miles. I was planning on using my stock w58 as it will be plenty to hold the power of a stock 1uz.

Here lies the problem. I was going to source the bellhousing from A1 turbos website ( http://a1turbos.co.nz/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=A&Product_Code=1WSBH&Category_Code=1QT ) and also the flywheel from here.

I called around though, talked to a number of machine shops about getting the flex plate ring gear swapped over to this flywheel, and they were all quite sketchy about the whole deal.

I want to buy a new flywheel that is made for a 1uz, without having to use a 3sgte flywheel and elongate the bolt holes ( this sounds scary, and like it could lead to possible failure issues, I <3 my feet :tongue: )

So could anyone lead me somewhere to find a flywheel for the 1uz that is made for it? Thanks for the help guys, I can't wait to get this thing underway!

No problem with using A1 turbo flywheel and the ring gear off the 1uz flexplate.You cant get a ring gear separate as all 1uz were auto unless someone will make one.
I used the original ring gear on my custom flywheel for my conversion,you just have to grind off the welds with care then heat up the ring gear and drop it onto flywheel and it will shrink fit on.You could also pin the ring gear for extra insurance

Hrm... That doesn't sound too bad. Does anyone have a picture of what the edge of the a1 turbo flywheel looks like? Or are there any options in the USA for flywheels? I tried monster-performance but I do not know if this site is even active anymore...

Hrm... That doesn't sound too bad. Does anyone have a picture of what the edge of the a1 turbo flywheel looks like? Or are there any options in the USA for flywheels? I tried monster-performance but I do not know if this site is even active anymore...

Im working on makeing aluminum flywheels, should be about a month or so before they are ready, but... a pre payment on one would magorly speed things up.

3VZE/R150F flywheel ring gear appears to be the right diameter & tooth count.

I plan to have the hub holes machine outward, the bore opened up (appears necessary), and the hub face that goes against the crank machined down so that thing ring gear lines up front-to-back. All followed by re-balancing. But I'm no machinist, and have yet to get one's opinion.

See... I was thinking about that, but again I want to buy a flywheel that is made specifically for the 1uz, I do not want to machine a stock flywheel.

I have seen some scary pictures when flywheels come apart...

I have an A1 turbos flywheel, it looks great!

the ring gear for the MR2 flywheel is available seperately. i ordered one today, should be in tomorrow. I'll post up if it fits :D

I have an A1 turbos flywheel, it looks great!

the ring gear for the MR2 flywheel is available seperately. i ordered one today, should be in tomorrow. I'll post up if it fits :D

I had been thinking about this... You could even flip the gear so that it meshed with the starter correctly aswell.

Please let me know if this works out for you!

I read something about taking an angle grinder to each tooth...

Really though, I wonder if the id of the ring gear for the 3sgte is the same as on the 1uz flexplate?

BUGGER!!!

the inner diametre of the ring gear is bigger than the shoulder on the flywheel. the overall diametre is about 7mm too large, for a 3.5mm gap all the way around.

100% confirmed, the MR2 ring gear does NOT fit the A1turbos flywheel, and therefore must have a larger inner diametre than the 1UZ flexplate ring gear.

you need to flip the ring gear if you use the mr2 ring gear so the lead in is correct for the starter.thats what everyone does here if they use the 3sgte flywheel.

Flipping the ring gear does absolutely nothing. When you flip it, the beveled edges are still on the wrong side of the tooth. once flipped, the bevel is still on the right side if viewed from the starter side but it has to be on the left side when viewed from the starter side.

No matter what, when using the 3s flywheel, you have to grind ne bevels..

The following link has a picture of a specific 1UZ flywheel. http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10506&highlight=winch+truck Sorry the clutch covers most of it which can be GM or Nissan. I will post photos of just the flywheel when my PC lets me. We have plenty of flywheel options over here in NZ. I supplied an A1 turbos one to a customer from canada recently when he called in. They are good being drilled for 3S-GE or 2JZ covers.
I don't like the 3S flyhwheel but in the past we prefer to slip the standard 1u flexplate ringgear onto them.

Cheers

:D that was me! Excellent service from Kelvin, and very friendly too. The flywheel you use is a really nice looking piece.

I thought I'd give the MR2 flywheel a shot, just in case it fit so I wouldn't have to worry about cutting and smoothing the welds. flexplate ring gear it is, plus it's beveled the right way.

Here is photos of our prefered flywheel. One piece Chrome moly with the ring gear built in. Drilled for 10inch holden cover or 9.5inch nissan. Another one we get has a new separate ring gear on them. Drilled for the same covers. The one in the photo is for my hilux surf and is resting to the r150 / R151 bell housing. Cheers

Attachments

• Disassembly  dash.JPG
    Disassembly dash.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 167
  • Disassembly engine bay 4.JPG
    Disassembly engine bay 4.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 160
  • Disassembly firewall 1.jpg
    Disassembly firewall 1.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 162
gloverman i'm still intending on bringing my car on down to be finished in your workshop once i get it back from the panel beaters..

Have you ever set up an interal hydraulic clutch release on one of the GM or Nissan covers mentioned above?

Attachments

• Sorting and tracing ecu wires 2.jpg
    Sorting and tracing ecu wires 2.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 131
  • Sorting and tracing ecu wires 3.jpg
    Sorting and tracing ecu wires 3.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 130
  • Sorting and tracing ecu wires.jpg
    Sorting and tracing ecu wires.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 130
  • the mass unwiring begins.jpg
    the mass unwiring begins.jpg