New Engine Pic

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

z8

LEX%20ENG.%20009_ad.jpg

go to www.kaneva.com/mytoys

Very nice. I'm surprised to see that someone else had the exact same idea as me in using a GM TPI throttle body in building a custom intake. I am curious to know, you are not using any type of riser tubes to the bottom of the plenum are you? You basically have the base of plenum box attached to the top of the factory lower runner section dont you?

Again, really nice work there. I especially like the perforated (assuming stainless) covers over the fuel rail / injector area. Really nice added touch.

cjsupra90
Go back to the kaneva site. I added a picture of the interior of the box. I cut down the original plentum to make my velocity stacks. This design also allows me to bolt in different size voids (sealed aluminum boxes) to vari plentum volume.
Ernie

cjsupra90
Go back to the kaneva site. I added a picture of the interior of the box. I cut down the original plentum to make my velocity stacks. This design also allows me to bolt in different size voids (sealed aluminum boxes) to vari plentum volume.
Ernie

Very nice, I like the idea behind it especially with the fact that you can adjust the volume of the plenum. I a curious of a couple of other things though. Are the tops of the original runners machined to the same height as the side rails that act as attaching points for the top of the plenum? How did you attach the side rails? It looks like maybe some form of rivet or is it welded and the welds ground down somthing? The other thing that I am particularly curious about is the cable that runs from the throttle linkage into the plenum, a kick-down cable or something?

Oh, one more thing, would you be interested in building another one by chance?

Again, Very nice work. :fing02:

cjsupera90
1-The side rails are attached with rivets. Go back to kaveva and double click pics. for hi resolution.
2-The cable is for t/v on the 700-r4 trans.
3- No chance, I just don't have the time.

cjsupera90
1-The side rails are attached with rivets. Go back to kaveva and double click pics. for hi resolution.
2-The cable is for t/v on the 700-r4 trans.
3- No chance, I just don't have the time.

1) Thanks. I did that. I figured that they were rivets, but just wanted to double Check.

2) Had a feeling that it was somethig along those lines.

3) Hey, it was worth a shot. LOL It does give me some new ideas though vs. what I was about to start working on.

Thanks again, and keep up the great work.

Chris

Oh, and for the final touch of custom detail would be a new top cover plate for the TB that either has the toyota or lexus logo in it or the word toyota or lexus writen out. I see custom ones all the time on ebay that say either Camaro or Corvette and ones that have the Chevy logo in it, I am sure that whom ever is making them can easily make one that says toyota or lexus or the logo of either in it if not up for the task....

Nice idea,

I'm working on more or less the same, but with intercoolers in the box.

One questio though, What thickness are the side walls of the plenum box, they look quite thin, arent you afraid of them collapsing when you do a high rpm throttle lift? 4liters generates an enourmous vacuum.

my goal is to machine down the lower intake manifold and make a box on that instead of making the box on top of the lower manifold. I must make the complete engine hight with manifold and intercoolers under 60cm, from bottom sump to top inlet, gonna be a very tight package but seeing yours has come with a few anwsers. Thanx!

grtz Thomas

striker
The thickness of the sides is .095" which should be more than adaquate. If you look inside,(double click for hi-res) you will see that there is also a short legnth of aluminum angle attached to the sides and back. The primary reason for these was to give me more thickness for threaded vaccum fittings, but it does give more added stregnth.
Ernie

Ah yes I understand now, 2.4mm is indeed more than thick enough.

It looked a lot thinner on the piccie.

anyway thanx!

Grtz Thomas

Very nice work.

Have you considered adapting the VVTi intake to the older heads?

Would be an excellent option and probably easily reproduced. Would require an adapter plate or possibly an angle mill on the lower half of the manifold.

Did you mount the 700r4 to the engine yourself. Just curious what parts you used and how you did it? I am looking to do a th400 so I am interested in how you did it.

Gentlemen -

First off, let me apologize for being so tardy answering some of your questions.

Gloverman: I think those are 48 mm butterflies. They should be plenty big enough to feed a 4 liter engine. My plans are to get the engine running normally aspirated and eventually possibly go to twin turbos, at which time I will probably go to a 52 mm after-market throttle body.

Jake: I made this adapter.

J. Brady: No, I have not considered the modification you mentioned, but I do have some others in mind.

Mighty Al: I took the easy way out and ordered an adapter from Castlemaine Rod Shop in Australia. Workmanship appears to be top notch.

Thanks.

Ernie

This design also allows me to bolt in different size voids (sealed aluminum boxes) to vari plentum volume.
Ernie

Hi Ernie, very nice fabricating. You must be extremely pleased with the finished product!

I'm very interested in your comment regarding using sealed aluminium boxes to vary the volume of your plenum chamber. This may sound like a silly question, but is the volume important? Is there a formula for calculating the ideal size?

The reason I ask is, I'm currently rebuilding the 1UZ in my racecar (see http://www.spr.co.nz/gallery.php), and will be adding 8 throttle body manifolds from A1 Turbos in NZ (http://www.a1turbos.co.nz/eight.html).
Although the 8 seperate spun alloy RAM tubes / trumpets do look extremely sexy exposed, they really need to be housed in a sealed cold air box, with air supplied from the front of the car (not being sucked in from a hot engine compartment). We were going to fabricate an alloy air box with a removable lid, and two 85mm inlets feeding cool air into both sides of the air box. This will fit directly on top of the two new manifolds, before the 8 trumpets were bolted on.

Based upon your experience, should this sealed cold air box be a particular volume? Interested in your comments.

Thanks in advance, John.