need mid mount transaxle

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
That one in that last picture is a ZF transaxle if you can find one be prepared to pay lots for it.

the way I look at transaxle solutions is as follows (been studying for 2 years but still might have missed something)

up to 400hp and 450nm on sticky tyres
2 options

audi 01e transaxle audi A8 strong box but not as strong as the renault one, expensive also but comes with option of 6 fwd speeds, lots of performance clutches made for the audi input splines so makes for easy adaption with an adaptor plate, Kennedy engineering has those.
audi 016 boxes from the 5000 series have also been used but all of which I know have broken the intermediate plates inbewteen the 2 casing halves

renault Un1, renault 25 V6 models and 21 Turbo 2wd
the UN1 can be adapted to the 1uz with of the shelv parts contact Dave Short @ [email protected]

boxes can be had quite cheaply over here in europe but are getting scarse over here also, if you have real trouble of finding one, I have a very good one lying in the garage of a 25 v6 turbo.
theres 2 weak links in the UN1 is the overhung 5th gear cluster, noone I know has mannaged to break one in any gear other than five, there's an undercut on the axle that carry's the primairy and thats where it breaks
also there's an undercut at where the input shaft goes over the diff, it sometimes breaks there also on sprint application. however over 500hp has been used extensivly in a friends GT40 with a pretty neat ford on quad webers,

for upgrades on the UN1 contact www.un1.co.uk they made a nice input shaft for it. costly but good.

for everything over 400hp you might be better of with a porsche G50, (or a upgraded Un1) but those are getting rediculusly expensive nowadays.
these boxes are very strong, and there's 3 options for adaptorplates Kep dellow and another one which I can't remember, I'll be making my own with a quartermaster clutch if all goes to plan.
try looking for a G50/50 or G50/52 those are strongest, there's also the G60 series now but very expensive and not really known yet
Do not buy a 950 (number 9 instead of G) that's a non synchro box as is the 930 these are the predeccesors of the G50 series that came in the 911 turbo's also these are not as strong as the G series, a UN1 is probably stronger.
also do not be confused with some of the ebayers that offer a boxter transmission as a G50 because it's not, (that's a deriviate audi 01e)

there's since a few months also the quaife ZFQ, an exact replica of the ZF pantera box but manufactured new buy UK company Quaife. these are also pretty expensive but capable of surviving the strongest 1uzfe on the board,

other options are offcourse
CIMA, Xtrac, Ricardo, Hewland lg600, Drenth, Elite transmissions, mendeola, or Sadev, but be prepared to pay up, you'd get the best of boxes though.

I know a way to get a rebuild CIMA at the moment 6 speed sequential rated to 700hp but it's expensive at 12.000euro's = $20.000aus + shipping
that's the same box as the gumpert apollo has.

other usefull links for the un1 and it's measurements surf here.
http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5166

euuhmm yeah that's about it

Grtz Thomas and happy trans hunting!

edit the Wanni lambo is talking about is in fact Wanni Albertini the president and chief desinger of the Gearfox company, he desinged the Enzo box, mosler M900 gumpert apollo etc etc etc etc etc and is probably one of the most educated people the planet has regarding gearbox desing. gearfox = Cima btw

the easiest swap I have found so far is to use a combi Saginaw gearbox, it wouldn't live behind a modified 1uz for long.

there is an abundance of paddle style shifting Porsche boxes tho, hmm... I'm thinking of custom carbon paddles :p

Attachments

• DSCF0031.jpg
    DSCF0031.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 4
Nah the paddle option is availeble on the G64 boxes but not many have been made and not many of those cars have been wrecked either so the chances of finding aran't that big unless you're willing to spend big bucks and oder at porshce

saginaw had the VW bus/van boxes right? will break on first daylight.

UN1 is you best and cheapest bet,

grtz Thomas

have found a few transaxles around from the porsche 915, minimal machining work to flip the crown gears and can handle close to 500bhp, their within my price range so I think that's my best bet, theres also an adaptor kit to suit the lex to vw & porsche transmissions so I think I've found my selection.

note that the 915 also has not got a very good syncro system. early boxes have a magnesium casing, later have alluminium and are stronger and have better diffs, finding an LSD for a magnesium one is a nightmare.

also stay away from the normal rubber sprung clutch plates those break very easily.

good luck,

Grtz Thomas

Some good reading on the 915 (and other Porsche) transaxles here:

http://lambolounge.com/Chassis/Transmission/915/915.asp

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/CustomCars/915Transaxle.html

http://www.wevo.com/Products/TransmissionProducts/WevoTransmissionProducts.htm

http://www.rennsportsystems.com/2d.html

And since I couldn't find the original article on the web, here's a C&P from the one I saved:
PowerHaus II approves the following Porsche gearboxes for V8 mid engine applications:
930 4 speed 930/30-33 ’76-’77 “early” (rod shift)
930 4 speed 930/34-36 ’78-’88 “late” (rod shift)
930 5 speed G50/50 ’89 only (rod shift)
965 5 speed G50/52 ’91-’94 (rod shift)
993 6 speed G64/51 ’95-’98 Twin Turbo (rod shift)
996 6 speed G96/50 ’01 to present Twin Turbo (cable shift)
GT2/GT3/R/RS/CUP* (rod shift up to ’98, cable shift ’98 and on)
901, 915, G50 normal and 993 normal gearboxes are not recommended as the crown wheel and pinion is too small and is not rated for the torque of a V8-PERIOD.

I really don't understand what powerhaus is about. (money making probably)

Almost every ultima I know has a G50.?? box, and those keep up with the american speed engines in front up to 680hp in their demonstrator on a normal 5 speed G50.
GD has a T70 running with a 700+bhp Kinsler ls7 in it on a standard rebuild G50 box, no problems....

the G50/50 is the strongest but all other ones seem to survive aswell.

majoola's twin turbo 1uzfe 960hp maniac engine was also running a more or less stock G50.52 if I'm not mistaking. no problem there iirc

Any G50 or 915 930 box is Ok but syncro on G series is much better

Grtz Thomas

That's the answer i wanted to hear, thanks Striker. When you say stock G50 though, they still need to be flipped eh? so all the mods required to achieve that?

Hey Justin,

to run the box upside down, No need to flip gears or so(if you even can), unless you're building a porsche set-up car (rear engine) the only other thing I know of, is making the top airvent the filler-plug and the original filler-plug the airvent. (story is porsche desinged the G50 box for le-mans and had to flip it upside down to fit a 911 so in fact we could be turning them right side up)

if you're going to run an oilcooler mods might change between different type boxes, but nothing major.

thing with german engineering is it's all very niclye done and good materials are used throughout, but it's also al very delicatly build, which means abuse it brake it. since everybody's allway talking about abuse you can throw at it... well euhm nothing at all. use with care and they last forever.

ps what?you?building?planning?

grtz Thomas

More dreaming :)

2nd thing i wanted after stuffing my TTUZ in a AWD car as RWD was to go even more extreme and mid engine something like an RA28 Celica (Mustang shape) :) It will be very hard to engineer ,as street legal but maybe not impossible if i pick the right car and the right enginner to certify ;)

hacksaw the enginebay firewall out of an mkII MR2 put the 3sge on ebay, and stuff 1uzfe/G50 combo in it.

much easier methinks. north south install could be a first for an mr2 I think.

Grtz Thomas

was thinking, Justin if you really have plans for making a middy out of a fwd/e car you should include yourself on the locostbuilders forum, the chassis and mid engine sections are very usefull, expecially in terms of suspension geometry and design of wisbones and shocks etc etc, most of the worlds quickest home build/modified cars have originated over there.

they will be able to help you around the chassis stuff, and doing it completly yourself makes driving afterward an even bigger amount of fun. (grinn-factor)

www.locostbuilders.co.uk and don't let the URL name fool you.

grtz Thomas

Cheers Striker....could be a dangerous move as no doubt all sorts of evil ideas to be found there :)

MR2 idea is not bad actually. Suspension advantages over a 77 celica would be a big plus. Hmmm, i'll keep a look out for a cheap n/a SW20 ;)

hacksaw the enginebay firewall out of an mkII MR2 put the 3sge on ebay, and stuff 1uzfe/G50 combo in it.

much easier methinks. north south install could be a first for an mr2 I think.

Grtz Thomas

Ive been thinking about this for many years. ever sence i saw that sard v8tt mr2 race car. someone should do this, i dont think ill get around to it.

Ive been thinking about this for many years. ever sence i saw that sard v8tt mr2 race car. someone should do this, i dont think ill get around to it.

Biggest issue will be the length from the front of the engine back to the driveshafts.....will be over 1 m and not sure the MR2 will have enough room to accomodate? even with firewall mods? need to get in there with the tape

here check it out, all the pics of it are horrable tho but just immagine this thing in traffic. http://www.midengine-motorsports.com/Competition/Toyota/MR2/MC8R.htm

SardMC8R_14.jpg