Standalone ECU most economical standalone

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Joust

I'm looking at getting a 1UZ to put in my 4runner.
what is the most economical standalone ecu to use other than a lexus factory one.
I'll probably use a factory ecu but would like to find the "next stage" upgrade scenario.
I would really like to have one that I can "Play" with.... :33:

Thanks

Generally speaking, you get what you pay for when you buy an aftermarket ecu.

Buy a cheap ecu, and you get poor interface, or poor performance (in regards to being able to do EVERYTHING), or poor amount/type of features, or a potential headache with wiring/setting it up/getting it working.

Buy an expensive ecu, and you get a lot more basically.

Everybody you speak to will have a different opinion on what is better.
Every tuner you speak to will have a preferred brand of ecu.

Its up to you to research what each one can do, how much it costs to buy, how easy it is to install, how much its going to cost to tune, how easy it will be in the future if you do something serious to the motor, what other items are required to buy to get it working, etc etc.

As far as price is concerned, the MegaSquirt can be done for probably $300US if you know what you are doing, willing to have a go, etc etc, and the other end of the scale is AEM and MoTeC, which are about $3000-$4000US

Yes there are others around $1k without having to assemble.. The good thing with M/S is there's plenty of forums and tech on them..

WHAT'S best and you didn't ask this side of it..
Is to choose a good tuner / fitter.. Talk to him..
Yes you have to trust him then go with what he says...
No point in having an ECU of one brand then getting a tuner to fit and tune when he doesn't know much about it...
Would you get a plumber to wire your house ??
Same here..One more thing .. Get an ECU that has available options and service "close" to you...Here in Aussie each state has its more prefered ECU mainlt because its local...

I was going to suggest MegaSquirt as well.

The learning curve is steep, but the functionality of the unit is only limited by your own understanding. The MegaSquirt can act a fully functional standalone for a fraction of the cost because you need to invest significantly more time to make it work.

For a basic standalone system that does not require you to build everything from the ground up, you can get away with an Adaptronic for around $1000.

I'm setting up a megasquirt on my 1UZFE which is going into a Hot Rod. I'm also designing an ad on board based on a MS2 daughter board that will control the toyota auto gearbox and add some required circuits for the standard ignition. The gearbox controller will be adjustable through Megatune.

Well for $1k I have to say EMS !!! Made local and exported to U.S... Stinger is $1009.00
http://www.emsnorthamerica.com/

I think this is one cool little EMS too. On our side of the pond it's been sold as the 034 EFI for several years, and it's done really well with the Audi crowd. Redline Weber also began carrying it awhile back as "their" ECU for fuel injection conversions.

With 8 injector outputs and 8 true ignition outputs it's got a ton of features for the money. No one here using it on a 1UZ project?